Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Eldo error code p046 and antilock brakes

lammgg
05-23-2004, 12:01 AM
I keep getting an error code P046, which comes and goes, it seems like it is fuel injector related. How to I troubleshoot this?

Also the antilock brake light comes on intermittently, mostly when it is wet. Any suggestions on where to look for the problem?Seems like a contact problem, but where?

Thanks

George

joooro
01-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Have 1995 etc., location of the fuel filter?

caddydaddy
01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
The fuel filter should be ahead of the drivers side rear wheel along the "frame".

joooro
01-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks for info. Kinda of weird seeing those quick connects. I had never seen them before , at least used on pressurized fuel lines... Thanks again

caddydaddy
01-03-2006, 07:42 AM
There is a tool that makes it easier to remove those fittings. Most auto parts stores sell them.
Most modern cars have those type of fittings on the fuel lines and filters.

joooro
01-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Maybe you could help me . I have a 1995 Eldo touring coupe. I love the power and it has been a good car. I have a about100,000 miles and it seems that when I go to start ... it does not start right away... Maybe 2 seconds or so. On an old car I would replace the cap and rotor...but on these things I am not sure. I am trying the simple and cheap stuff first. It seems like the fuel pump and relay are doing their thing , and I did add some injector cleaner and changed the fuel filter. The spark plugs are not that old. There are no warning lights on dash ....any ideas? Thanks

maxwedge
01-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Are the plugs the proper platinum AC's, if not this can be one cause. There are many others though.

joooro
01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Yes , I made sure I use the plugs that are stock. I have made that mistake before though , when you go to the cheaper auto parts stores they list about 20 different plugs with varied price range , and I know that not all plugs are the same.. Thanks. I was maybe leaning toward a coil .

caddydaddy
01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Have you checked the engine codes? It could be a MAP sensor or fuel system problem.

joooro
01-04-2006, 03:58 PM
You know I did not get a light on the dash with "service soon" Or "service now" So I was thinking there would not be a code/ But maybe I will check to see what does show up..

caddydaddy
01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Not all problems will set a SES light or cause a message to display.

joooro
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey , I just checked for codes using the display on dash. No codes reported in any area. When I start the car at first , it take about 8 seconds of cranking before it starts. If I turn engine off and restart , it starts right away. Now it this point the engine is not really warm or anything.. ( on an older car with a carb , I would think the bowl was not holding enough gas. ) I am not sure what to check next... Hell its my wifes car , so I guess I can live with the problem a little while longer....

caddydaddy
01-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm guessing a fuel problem because of what you described. I'd check the fuel pressure, you may either have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump may be going bad.

joooro
01-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks , i will start down that road. I thought at first it could have been a clogged fuel filter. I changed the one on the frame. There is only one fuel filter , right? Thanks again , I will keep you informed of my progress.

caddydaddy
01-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Yes, there is just one fuel filter. But if you did get a lot of junk into your fuel tank, the sock on the fuel pump may be clogged. But it doesn't sound like that is your case. I'd check your fuel pressure like I mentioned.

barkboy6
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I also have a '95 and it has the same starting problem....sounds exactly the same. If you find out the problem, please let me know what you do to fix it. Also, what does the "Service Ride Control" message entail. What specific areas of the vehicle does this refer to?

caddydaddy
01-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Also, what does the "Service Ride Control" message entail. What specific areas of the vehicle does this refer to?

It refers to a problem with the ride control system of the car. Most likely there is a sensor that is bad. You can chose to either fix it, or if it has a lot of miles, and/or you don't want to spend the money, you can have passive struts and shocks installed.

joooro
01-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Just thought I would let you know , one of the things I did try was a product called Lucus injector cleaner. It seems a lot better. It could also be that the weather got a little warmer in St. Louis. But , in any case , it is better. If it gets colder , and I have hard starts , it may help me narrow my search.... Back to the football game....

barkboy6
01-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Just thought I would let you know , one of the things I did try was a product called Lucus injector cleaner. It seems a lot better. It could also be that the weather got a little warmer in St. Louis. But , in any case , it is better. If it gets colder , and I have hard starts , it may help me narrow my search.... Back to the football game....

Thanks. I will try the injector cleaner. My car also idles unusual. When I start it up the engine surges up and down a few times before smoothing out. It seems like it is getting a burst of fuel, then almost none because it will sometimes die out. Could the fuel pump be the likely problem?

joooro
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes, there is just one fuel filter. But if you did get a lot of junk into your fuel tank, the sock on the fuel pump may be clogged. But it doesn't sound like that is your case. I'd check your fuel pressure like I mentioned.
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD DROP YOU A LINE , ON MY 1995 ELDO THAT I WAS HAVING TROUBLE WITH , THE LAST THING I TRIED WAS LUCUS INJECTOR CLEANER , IT SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED MY PROBLEMS. ALTHOUGH IT IS WARMER IN ST. LOUIS , SO THAT COULD HAVE FIXED IT ALSO. WELL IF I HAVE HARD START DURING OUR NEXT COLD SPELL , I WILL KNOW I STILL HAVE A PROBLEM.. MAYBE I WILL MOVE TO FLORIDA ,HA

joooro
01-20-2006, 06:37 AM
well it got colder in St. Louis , and it is hard to start at first .... Oh well back to the drawing board...Could it be a fuel pressure regulator? I am not sure if you suggested replacing or checking that....

Add your comment to this topic!