Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing belt help

miataracer5
05-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I am not very familiar with the LeBaron, so sorry if this is a stupid question. My mom has a 94 and it has about 90,000 miles. She bought it used and is not sure if it had the timing belt changed or not. Her mechanic told her to have it changed, that if it brakes she will need a new engine. I know this is true in some cars, but is it ture in this car? My question is what happens if she is driving and it brakes? Money is tight now for her, and if noting happens to the engine it is probally ok to wait till 120,000 miles.

Thanks for your help
Brad
93 black and tan Miata

torchem1485
06-04-2004, 02:55 AM
hm, is a timing belt costly? maybe u could just replace it, take a look at how it looks, what condition is it in? does it make noise? If it breaks ...well..ure SOL man gl:)

Sci-Fi
06-05-2004, 06:32 AM
The timing belt and labor should cost you about $340 at the dealer. You really should change it now. 60-80k miles is the norm for replacing the timing belt for any car make/model, wait any longer and it might break. Might also consider replacing the water pump and timing belt tensioner while the belt is being changed. Contact the previous owner or dealer and find out for sure if it was changed or not and what other parts have been replaced/repaired.

Add your comment to this topic!