Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission swap

my3rdskyline
05-22-2004, 06:56 PM
I looked thru the first few pages and could not find my answer anywhere so... here's my question.

My friend has a 4 door R32 GTS-t type M with an auto tranny.
We want to put my 5 speed from my old R32 GTS-t type M 2 door in there.
Can we just hook the engine, swing it forward. undo the tranny, drop it out and just bold the 5 speed in just like that?
The major concern is are they physically the same size and will it fit?
The next concern is about the electronics. Would any sensors be pissed off, warning lights, shit like that?
I'm thinking you can just swap it out like that but, I just thought I'd ask.
Scheduled swap time is sometime next week.

Moppie@af
05-22-2004, 07:51 PM
You'll also need a flywheel remember, not to mention the rest of the clutch and its mechanism.

I have read somewhere in these forums though that the manual and auto drive shafts are of a differnt length, I could be wrong, but before you start it might be an idea to measure the length of your manaul box, and his auto one, from the edge of the bell houseing, to the end of the out put shaft. Also to a spline count, as its possible they may be differnt.

my3rdskyline
05-22-2004, 11:58 PM
yeah, that's all I'm really worried about is the size difference. I've got all the parts, clutch, clutch pedal, master and slave cyl, line, flywheel all that shit.

Anybody know for sure if the drive shafts are different? (damn, I should have just pulled the drive shaft and LSD out of my old car too hu?)

Add your comment to this topic!