Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The King for under $40,000

Pages : [1] 2

3000ways
05-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Well the votes have been cast, and it came down to three. One from an American manufactuer, one from a Japanese manufactuer, and one from an European manufactuer. So now who is really the King for under $40,000.

Your broke and you barely make ends meet, but one day luck is on your side. You check your lotto ticket and guess what you just won $40,000. So you always had dreams of owning a fast car, and you decide f*ck it I’m getting me a fast car. So you make a list of cars categorizing them into three seperate lists of European, Japanese, and American. You rate each car with in the lists on-

Stock Power
Tuning Potential
Price
Styling
All Around Performance
Livability

From your list of European cars, you decide the best choice for you is a 2001 BMW M3. From your list of American cars you decide that the best choice is a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6. Then from your list of Japanese cars you decide that the best choice for you is the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. So between these three cars which is the best, which offers the greatest combination of Stock Power, Tuning Potential, Price, Styling, All Around Performance, and Livability?

2001 BMW M3
3.2L 6-Cylinder
333HP
262TQ
6-Speed Manual
RWD
3420Lbs
0-60- 4.9 Seconds
$36,300

2001 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6
5.7L 8-Cylinder
385HP
385TQ
6-Speed Manual
RWD
3120Lbs
0-60- 4.5 Seconds
$34,100

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
2.0L Turbocharged 4-Cylinder
285HP
295TQ
6-Speed Manual
AWD
3080Lbs
0-60- 4.3 Seconds
$33,000

So who is the King?

3000ways
05-21-2004, 10:33 AM
I chose the EVO MR for a number of factors, while I believe the other two cars are awesome as well the EVO MR would be my choice. Of course of the selected areas in which I had to rate the cars I felt the EVO MR had some weak spots, but all the cars had areas were they were not that strong. With the EVO MR styling was an issue, but I must admit the EVO MR does look better than the base EVO with it's smoked headlights, BBS gun metal rims, lower stance, and black spoiler, all give it an overall apperance better than the regular EVO. Yet it still is not as good looking as the BMW or Corvette. But there are areas were the EVO MR stood out, one being it's price and availability as a new car, the others would have to be purchased used and who knows what abuse they could have gone through with the previous owner. Plus it's price is lower than the other two, leaving me with more than enough money to fix her up. $7,000 on a base EVO, would hit the 11s possibly the 10s easily, imagine that money on a EVO MR, with it's more durable tranny it should easily hit 10s (So there's my thoughts on the tunning potential). While it's inerior is not the best, it does offer room for 4 or 5 like the BMW M3, while the Corvette only offers room for 2. While some people wouldn't mind room just for 2, for me I'd love to have a vehicle perform well and have room for my friends and family to enjoy the experience too. That's just my personal feelings on that. Stock power is great for the MR, while it's numbers suggest otherwise, (The EVO has the lowest rating in HP between the 3) it's the fastest to 60 miles, and only it and the Corvette ZO6 in the list of three can hit in 12 second 1/4 mile time range stock. It's all around performance is also awesome, braking and handling is awesome especially for a 4 door sedan. Add in AWD, and yes with out a doubt the EVO MR is my choice between the three, and to me or in my opinion the EVO MR is the King under $40,000. Of course others will have different opinions, and I'd love to hear your thoughts and choices. Arguments in certain areas can be made for and made against each car.

flylwsi
05-21-2004, 12:10 PM
i chose the zo6.
i'm a diehard evo fan, yes.
and stock, it'd put up a good fight for the zo6.

however, once you start modding, the zo6 is in a league of its own.
it's the only car that can consistently outhandle, outbrake, outrun any car on the market when you throw money or boost at it.

i'm ok with room for 2, that's what i've got now. the trunk isn't that bad, and the interior is definitely livable.
i like the styling, and i like the way that people "in the know" know what a zo6 is, same as an m3 or mr, but more so...

handling is amazing stock (lingenfelter upgrades to zo6 susp. parts on the c5s he mods)
braking is great (maybe not as good as an evo, but not hard to fix)
straightline speed is sick, i've driven the 405hp version, i'll vouch for that. it may not beat the awd evo to 60, but it'd be a great time trying
burnout potential:
405hp can roast a LOT of uber wide tire!

so, for the overall car, i've got a vette in my garage...

CarSuperfreak
05-21-2004, 12:14 PM
last i checked, the Z06 was closer to 50K, not 34......

3000ways
05-21-2004, 01:13 PM
last i checked, the Z06 was closer to 50K, not 34......
Check again, the comparison is using a 2001 ZO6, not a new one.

panzershreck
05-21-2004, 03:39 PM
i picked the BMW M3, enough room to haul people, stylish yet not too much for long-lasting looks, superb handling, not the extreme end of power (like a Hartge), but still more than i'll ever need, superb body design and quality as well... only thing the M3 lacks is in the modification department (which is fine by my standards, but we arent going by my standards)

youngvr4
05-21-2004, 04:45 PM
i've seen 02 Z06 for 40grand even and htose have 405hp, its all bout looking around and doing research.

my answer is the Z06, and like fly said until proven i believe the Z06 will win on a track simply because its close in handling with the evo but faster. plus i like opening my car up on the highway and evo have such short gears, it won't really do it for me.

Joseph1082
05-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I'd have to say there really is no comparison... all 3 cars won for a reason, but compared to the rest, the Z06 is just a class above. It really compares to cars that cost more than double it's price. And I don't know what the MR pulls on the skidpad, but the Z06 pulls 1g, so I doubt that the MR is pulling something so much higher... I'm saying there handling is pretty much the same, that's pretty damn good for a RWD car.

3000ways
05-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I'd have to say there really is no comparison... all 3 cars won for a reason, but compared to the rest, the Z06 is just a class above. It really compares to cars that cost more than double it's price. And I don't know what the MR pulls on the skidpad, but the Z06 pulls 1g, so I doubt that the MR is pulling something so much higher... I'm saying there handling is pretty much the same, that's pretty damn good for a RWD car.

The MR pulled a .98g, so yeah on the skidpad the ZO6 wins, but I think the AWD MR Slaloms faster, still both cars handle awesome.

youngvr4
05-21-2004, 11:50 PM
i heard the evo-8 doesn't come with a boost gauge :screwy: thats pretty dang stupid. what sense does that make

del
05-22-2004, 12:53 AM
i voted for the Z06. the evo? well yeah, it's fast and the performance is there. the big wing, body style isn't my style at all. the M3, sweet and all, but if you ever have to bring this thing in for repairs, it can get ugly, as in dollar-wise.

3000ways
05-22-2004, 11:30 AM
i heard the evo-8 doesn't come with a boost gauge :screwy: thats pretty dang stupid. what sense does that make

Ok seriously WTF does that have to do with the topic?

aznxthuggie
05-22-2004, 12:44 PM
WHAT IT DOESN'T? WTF, man just for that reason i won't buy the evo :rofl:

all three cars were good, but i would go with the EVO MR, actually if possible i would go with the STI Spec C, which outperforms the EVO mr is some areas, the M3 is a really nice car, so is the Z06 but i like rally cars.. crap it makes be biased huh? ok lets say the EVO is out of the picture because it would most obviously be my favorite, i would pick the M3, its more classy than the Z06 and for the same price with almost the same horsepower i would just take the M3

Joseph1082
05-22-2004, 12:55 PM
But they way the Z06 (don't get me wrong, love the M3) is set up, it is just in a higher class than the M3... I don't think the M3 breaks into 12s, let alone low 12s, this is a CAR!!!!

youngvr4
05-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Ok seriously WTF does that have to do with the topic?

shut up punk :p i had just heard that :icon16:

back on topic the m3 is at 333hp right? i'm not gonna lie it would be a hard pick between the m3 and Z06 but if we are talking 02 Z06 there is no doubt wich i would choose and like i said a 02 Z06 can be found for 40grand

blueboost
05-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Z06 for sure.

heres why IMO

style- Z's are HOT. I love the EVO but the body styling RUINS the car for me. why couldn't they have left it alone and kept it wide and mean looking like the gen. before it!!! :banghead:

performance- they all have it. EVO and Z are highly tunable amazing performance machines. This is a very difficult comparison, 2 cars that achieve similar performance with radically different approaches. IMO it may be cheaper in the long run as far as repair/maintenance with a Z over the EVO. I believe if both were modded, the EVO would be a bit higher in $$$ to maintain. The Z theoretically would be easier to live with in a mildly tuned form.

The M3, as nice as it is, just can't compare to its competitors in this situation. although much nicer looking in appearance, it would be my 3rd choice as the EVO's tunability is skylinelike :lol:

flylwsi
05-22-2004, 03:58 PM
have you seen an evo in person?
they ARE wide...
FYI:
the evo 8 is really an evo 7.5, b/c there weren't many changes to the car.
if you've seen them side by side, and even earlier gens, they're just as wide.

the evo's tunability is skylinelike...
so is the zo6, and any other car, really...
and of the 3 cars, the one with the biggest aftermarket support is the one you picked, the zo6..

blueboost
05-22-2004, 04:21 PM
have you seen an evo in person?
they ARE wide...
FYI:
if you've seen them side by side, and even earlier gens, they're just as wide.

so is the zo6, and any other car, really...
and of the 3 cars, the one with the biggest aftermarket support is the one you picked, the zo6..

yes Ive seen an evo in person. I mean they should have kept it like THIS

http://www.kjps.net/user/shimopu/images/yrc/2002/2nd/lancer_evo_vi_1.jpg

yeah... thats exactly what I said. :dunno:

Moppie
05-22-2004, 06:27 PM
FYI:

No, the EVO 8, is an EVO 8.
For every EVO generation the odd numbered model is the new car, built on a new platform of either the Lancer, or Cedia. The Even numbered model is then the face lift, done with small minnor improvments at the same time the Lancer/Cedia its based off is also face lifted.
A .5 is only added to the name if the even numbered model is aslo given a face lift, or in someway changed, in this case this only happened to the EVO 5, which was face lifted to the EVO 6, which was then given small performance enhancing mods and sold in some markets as the EVO 6.5 and in others as the Tommi Makinen edition, and in some as both.

However, since this thread seems to purly about cars avliable in the US, at US prices (only the EVO is avliable here for that sort of money, the other two would cost a hell of a lot more) then you are talking about the US spec EVO 8. Which is quite differnce to the one sold to the rest of the world, it appears to more of an EVO 5 or 6, in a modfieded EVO 8 body. A true EVO 8 would run rings around in terms of performance, just like it will run rings around an older EVO 5 or 6.

Mr Payne
05-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Well the votes have been cast, and it came down to three. One from an American manufactuer, one from a Japanese manufactuer, and one from an European manufactuer. So now who is really the King for under $40,000.

Your broke and you barely make ends meet, but one day luck is on your side. You check your lotto ticket and guess what you just won $40,000. So you always had dreams of owning a fast car, and you decide f*ck it I’m getting me a fast car. So you make a list of cars categorizing them into three seperate lists of European, Japanese, and American. You rate each car with in the lists on-

Stock Power
Tuning Potential
Price
Styling
All Around Performance
Livability

From your list of European cars, you decide the best choice for you is a 2001 BMW M3. From your list of American cars you decide that the best choice is a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6. Then from your list of Japanese cars you decide that the best choice for you is the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. So between these three cars which is the best, which offers the greatest combination of Stock Power, Tuning Potential, Price, Styling, All Around Performance, and Livability?

2001 BMW M3
3.2L 6-Cylinder
333HP
262TQ
6-Speed Manual
RWD
3420Lbs
0-60- 4.9 Seconds
$36,300

2001 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6
5.7L 8-Cylinder
385HP
385TQ
6-Speed Manual
RWD
3120Lbs
0-60- 4.5 Seconds
$34,100

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
2.0L Turbocharged 4-Cylinder
285HP
295TQ
6-Speed Manual
AWD
3080Lbs
0-60- 4.3 Seconds
$33,000

So who is the King?

01 Z06 can be gotten for 30K.

3000ways
05-22-2004, 08:30 PM
01 Z06 can be gotten for 30K.

I'm sure it can, I was just going by blue book. I once saw a 2001 BMW Roadster for sale for only $25,000 and this was almost a couple years ago, the guy really needed to get rid of it, and fast. But I'm quite sure I would have never found another one for that price. Like I said I'm just going by blue book. I'm sure prices can be more or less.

3000ways
05-22-2004, 08:38 PM

Just FYI the VR4 does come with a boost gauge stock, but anybody who owns and knows VR4s should know it's one of the most unreliable boost gauges there is. In fact when tuning a VR4 it is highly recommended that you go with an aftermarket boost gauge. And yes the EVO MR does have a boost gauge.

Mr Payne
05-22-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm sure it can, I was just going by blue book. I once saw a 2001 BMW Roadster for sale for only $25,000 and this was almost a couple years ago, the guy really needed to get rid of it, and fast. But I'm quite sure I would have never found another one for that price. Like I said I'm just going by blue book. I'm sure prices can be more or less.

I found 5 Z06s within 200 miles of me for under 32K. I put in around 30 seconds of work to get that info. 01 Z06s are not costing 34K.

3000ways
05-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I found 5 Z06s within 200 miles of me for under 32K. I put in around 30 seconds of work to get that info. 01 Z06s are not costing 34K.

I'm sorry, like I said I'm going by blue book. Like I also said the cars can be had for less or more. Also it all depends on where you live, I found 5 ZO6s that cost over $35,000 (I stopped at 5) within 200 miles of where I live. I put in 30 seconds of work also to get that info-

http://autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=CORV&start_year=2001&end_year=2001&min_price=30000&max_price=40000&distance=200&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=CHEV&address=91765&search_type=used&x=33&y=1

Cars in certain arears go for more than in other areas, I live in Southern California, cars here are very expensive, the blue book is national value rating system and is appropriate for this comparison.

youngvr4
05-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Just FYI the VR4 does come with a boost gauge stock, but anybody who owns and knows VR4s should know it's one of the most unreliable boost gauges there is. In fact when tuning a VR4 it is highly recommended that you go with an aftermarket boost gauge. And yes the EVO MR does have a boost gauge.

why does it seem like your trying to argue with me?

i simply spoke that it doesn't have a boost gauge. yes i know that the vr's is not proper i now have 2 things reading boost.

and i never said the mr didn't have one. i don't think you like me :grinno:

3000ways
05-23-2004, 01:18 PM
why does it seem like your trying to argue with me?

i simply spoke that it doesn't have a boost gauge. yes i know that the vr's is not proper i now have 2 things reading boost.

and i never said the mr didn't have one. i don't think you like me :grinno:

My bad, I didn't think you liked me, you did call me a punk now did you? Well it's cool, I have respect for the VR4s, I owned one, very nice car, the best car I've owned so far.

youngvr4
05-23-2004, 01:51 PM
its all good man, i was playing when i called you a punk, thats why the smiley faces were there.

3000ways
05-24-2004, 05:11 PM
I may have been to hasty with the EVO MR, turns out the car may have more than just 285HP, looks like it may have 300HP or more. Which means it could even be faster than what was first thought, especially when combined with it's lighter weight and 6 speed transmission.

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/04DMF564735743.html

In fact all EVOs in america are getting a bump in HP and TQ, from 271HP/273TQ to 276HP/285TQ and the MR may come with 300HP.

Joseph1082
05-25-2004, 12:08 AM
I still think if a Z06 can be had, it is just a superior car.

youngvr4
05-25-2004, 12:28 AM
dido

3000ways
05-25-2004, 05:24 PM
I still think if a Z06 can be had, it is just a superior car.

In this comparison the ZO6 is the most powerful car, but superior, I would argue that. Don't get me wrong I am very impressed with the performance of the ZO6, but the MR is also very impressive and has proven to be an awesome performance car also. I would also argue that the EVO MR could keep up with a ZO6 on the track.

http://features.evolutionm.net/newsitem/74

Joseph1082
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
I tend to disagree, that is Y I used the word "superior" we had the Firebird vs. Evo debate, and each has their respective advantage, but see, now with the Z06, the MR has NO advantage, it might give a damn good fight, but in the end...

3000ways
05-25-2004, 10:33 PM
I tend to disagree, that is Y I used the word "superior" we had the Firebird vs. Evo debate, and each has their respective advantage, but see, now with the Z06, the MR has NO advantage, it might give a damn good fight, but in the end...

Yes the ZO6 does have more power and if faster, but when you say superior I'm thinking it's build and technology is far surpass that of the EVO, and that's were I disagree. In this comparison yes the ZO6 is used so the prices of the cars are similiar, but let's not forget that the ZO6 new does cost well over $40,000. Now a $40,000 EVO FQ330 would perhaps hand a ZO6 it's ass on a race track. But your right, in this comparison the ZO6 is the better performance car, but that doesn't make it superior.

Joseph1082
05-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Superior: noun, higher or greater in amount, value, rank, etc. One who is...
I'm sorry but it is superior, it may be a strong word and you may not like it, but it applies.

3000ways
05-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Superior: noun, higher or greater in amount, value, rank, etc. One who is...
I'm sorry but it is superior, it may be a strong word and you may not like it, but it applies.

Your right don't like it, and it doesn't apply with the two cars. Yes in this comparison the ZO6 is the better performance car, but it by no means is a superiror vehicle. You see I have a feeling that you and a lot of other people on this forum seem to underestimate the performance of the EVO and EVO MR. Now look yes the ZO6 is a better performer, it does have 100HP more and if we took both cars to a dyno, I'd be willing to bet that the ZO6 even puts down more than 100HP to the wheels than the EVO MR. Yet for some reason despite this disadvantage and similiar weight of both cars, the EVO MR would hang with the ZO6 on a race track (not saying win, but it would hang with it). Now if for some reason Mitsubishi decided to release a limited edition EVO MR with 385HP, you know and I know that the ZO6 wouldn't stand a chance, that to me proves that HP for HP the EVO is the better car and also proves that the ZO6 is not superior. Look at this way, if you look at boxing, Roy Jones Jr. is (or was) considered the best pound for pound boxer in the world, now if he fought some of the top Heavy Weights in boxing, there is a good chance he could lose, does that mean the Heavy Weight Boxers are superior fighters, just mean they are bigger fighters. The same goes for the ZO6, the ZO6 would probably beat the EVO MR in race, does that mean it is superior, not to me, it just means that the EVO MR is well underpowered to the ZO6, yet it would still hang with it. Isn't it weird that a car made and bred for the race track, would have trouble shaking free from a boxy 4-Door Sedan.

del
05-26-2004, 11:09 AM
well, it is quite a feat for a boxy 4 door sedan to hang with a pure sports car such as a zo6. but you don't look good doing it. looks are strictly subjective and i think the evo, and sti, are nasty looking cars but i will say their performance capabilities make up for it. would i buy an evo or sti over a Zo6??? absolutely........not. being superior is a relative term. i think the Zo6 is a better car for the purpose of going fast. put some prettier skin on an sti or evo not to mention take off those god-awful looking wings and ill definately reconsider. having a back seat and trunk space does come in handy and being fast makes it that much better of a car. an audi rs4 is the car that comes to mind but it's not in the same price range. so until then if i wanted to have a fast car with an evo and the zo6 as my choices, it wouldn't be a hard choice for me. give me the Zo6, you can have your evo. just my opinion.

3000ways
05-26-2004, 11:13 AM
well, it is quite a feat for a boxy 4 door sedan to hang with a pure sports car such as a zo6. but you don't look good doing it. looks are strictly subjective and i think the evo, and sti, are nasty looking cars but i will say their performance capabilities make up for it. would i buy an evo or sti over a Zo6??? absolutely........not. being superior is a relative term. i think the Zo6 is a better car for the purpose of going fast. put some prettier skin on an sti or evo not to mention take off those god-awful looking wings and ill definately reconsider. having a back seat and trunk space does come in handy and being fast makes it that much better of a car. but until then if i wanted to have a fast car and an evo and the zo6 were my choices, it wouldn't be a hard choice for me. give me the Zo6, you can have your evo. just my opinion.

Oh yeah I agree with you, for this comparison your right the ZO6 is the better performance car. I'd take the EVO for my own personal beliefs, but I'm not blinded by biasm like other people that I can't reckonize the potential and capabilities of other cars, the ZO6 is awesome. Still superior, like you said is a relative term.

Joseph1082
05-26-2004, 04:01 PM
See, it's like, someone can't make a comment w/o people jumping on you. The Z06 IS asuperior car, superior equals=more... the Z06 in EVERY area has a higher rank than the MR, did I say which was BETTER... which is a subjective term, no, I used Superior, which should have no debate... did you guys read the definiton that I posted "greater in amount" let's see, that describes the Z06 vs. MR quite well.
And if you want to bring up the limitted edition MR I'll have to mention Lingenfelter, I know you don't want to go there.

3000ways
05-26-2004, 04:47 PM
See, it's like, someone can't make a comment w/o people jumping on you. The Z06 IS asuperior car, superior equals=more... the Z06 in EVERY area has a higher rank than the MR, did I say which was BETTER... which is a subjective term, no, I used Superior, which should have no debate... did you guys read the definiton that I posted "greater in amount" let's see, that describes the Z06 vs. MR quite well.
And if you want to bring up the limitted edition MR I'll have to mention Lingenfelter, I know you don't want to go there.

I'm sorry don't mean to sound like I'm jumping on you, but Lingenfelter is an aftermarket company not owned by GMC, so sorry doesn't count cuz if you pull out Lingenfelter than I'm bringing up HKS and I know you don't want me to bring that up. Since your pulling out definitions here's mine (from the Oxford American Dictionary) Superior- better or greater, of high or higher quality. Sorry to me the ZO6 doesn't fit my Superior definition. Of better quality I think not, because you know what I'm still not sold on a ZO6 even being a better performance car than the EVO MR anyways, and it has 100 more HP. I would love two see the two duel it out, I've seen a base Vette and base EVO go head to head on a race track, and believe me, the Vette didn't stand a chance. I can send you the DVD if you like.

youngvr4
05-26-2004, 05:48 PM
what is hks gonna do better to the evo than lingenfelter can do to the vette? make it run 9.2 in the 1320 and have top speeds clear over 200mph?

Joseph1082
05-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Thank you because I was thinking the same thing!!!
BTW my definition comes from the Funk & Wagnals Standard Dictionary... it has 90,000+ entries it is the most comprehensive dictionary I have.
Let's just be simple... Superior = Better, ok, everyone here can agree with that, and I think EVERYONE can agree that no matter how you slice it a Z06 is better.
I honestly think you just like to debate with people I've seen a lot of rebuttle posts from you, but stop arguing with me over pointelss s*it. No offense but the Z06 is most Definitely a better car than an Evo.

Joseph1082
05-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Oh, and at the track, MUCH of the outcome is dependent on the Driver... I'm sure I could find a video of a C5 roasting an Evo, so what. I'd say those two cars are pretty even track cars.

3000ways
05-26-2004, 11:57 PM
what is hks gonna do better to the evo than lingenfelter can do to the vette? make it run 9.2 in the 1320 and have top speeds clear over 200mph?

First off I already stated lingenfelter is an aftermartket company and doesn't count and talk about jumping on every word I say. What is this first were talking about the Corvette and EVO, now were going to lingenfelter. So now are we comparing aftermarket companies to aftermarket companies? Well so be it, first off what is HKS EVO gonna do better, I suggest you do some more research. Want a 9 second EVO, try Norris Designs, once again I suggest you do even more research.

3000ways
05-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Thank you because I was thinking the same thing!!!
BTW my definition comes from the Funk & Wagnals Standard Dictionary... it has 90,000+ entries it is the most comprehensive dictionary I have.
Let's just be simple... Superior = Better, ok, everyone here can agree with that, and I think EVERYONE can agree that no matter how you slice it a Z06 is better.
I honestly think you just like to debate with people I've seen a lot of rebuttle posts from you, but stop arguing with me over pointelss s*it. No offense but the Z06 is most Definitely a better car than an Evo.

Now were comparing dictionaries? You see a lot of rebuttles from me because you see a lot of people jumping on me also. Now let's not start with the who causes arguments crap, because we could go look up your history now couldn't we and I bet you it wouldn't be sqeaky clean now would it? This really is not an argument this is a discussion, the only difference is that I like to stay on topic, but others just can't seem to do that, they start bringing up stuff like Lingenfelter and dictionaries. The ZO6 is better? like I said I don't agree with that, that's my opinion, and sorry nothing you have said has changed that. Like I said for this COMPARISON, the ZO6 and MR would be close, but let's think about things. The ZO6 brand new costs well over $40,000 to the EVO MR's under $35,000 price tag (when it comes out), I remember a day when ZO6 owners/fans use to argue with Viper owners/fans over who was better, it seemed that the ZO6 owners always pulled out the bang for the buck card, now it's being pulled out on them by, wow a boxy 4-Door Sedan and they don't know what to think. The fact is the two cars with the same HP and Same Weight, would mean a humiliating loss for the ZO6, in my book the better car is the EVO (Bang for your buck, remember that?). Still with that said let's face facts, the EVO doesn't have as much power as the ZO6, yet it still hangs and you know what I'll call it, will beat the ZO6 in a track race.

3000ways
05-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Oh, and at the track, MUCH of the outcome is dependent on the Driver... I'm sure I could find a video of a C5 roasting an Evo, so what. I'd say those two cars are pretty even track cars.

Then find one, I'll wait patiently.... Just don't try any vids from One Lap Of America, cuz you definitly won't find any there if you know what I mean.

youngvr4
05-27-2004, 12:53 AM
can you show me an evo running over 235mph and still runing 9's? beside's the ? that you can't answer yes with, i'm not biased toward either car i love the evo-8 and the mr will be even better. its just when you said i'll bring up hks its like........ok bring them up, they can't acomplish 1/4th of what lingenflter has done with the corvette. don't take this as me jumping on you or flaming you, were just simply debating.

3000ways
05-27-2004, 09:53 AM
can you show me an evo running over 235mph and still runing 9's? beside's the ? that you can't answer yes with, i'm not biased toward either car i love the evo-8 and the mr will be even better. its just when you said i'll bring up hks its like........ok bring them up, they can't acomplish 1/4th of what lingenflter has done with the corvette. don't take this as me jumping on you or flaming you, were just simply debating.

Look are we comparing aftermarket companies to aftermarket companies?Like I said Lingenfenflter has nothing to do with the comparison, and what HKS does a lot more than straight line speed. Your right no EVO probably will ever do 235MPH, doesn't have the areo to do that, and you know, so what? Wow you can do 235MPH? Yet Norris Design EVO would run circles around Lingenfenlter Corvette. Look like I said this is not about HKS or Norris Design or Lingenfenflter.

Mr Payne
05-27-2004, 01:31 PM
The ZO6 brand new costs well over $40,000 to the EVO MR's under $35,000 price tag (when it comes out), I remember a day when ZO6 owners/fans use to argue with Viper owners/fans over who was better, it seemed that the ZO6 owners always pulled out the bang for the buck card, now it's being pulled out on them by, wow a boxy 4-Door Sedan and they don't know what to think. The fact is the two cars with the same HP and Same Weight, would mean a humiliating loss for the ZO6, in my book the better car is the EVO (Bang for your buck, remember that?). Still with that said let's face facts, the EVO doesn't have as much power as the ZO6, yet it still hangs and you know what I'll call it, will beat the ZO6 in a track race.

How does the EVO MR have a better bang for buck than the Z06? I've already PROVEN it costs less than the MR. Are we changing the parameters of the comparison?

flylwsi
05-27-2004, 01:34 PM
norris would run circles around the lingenfelter?
i beg to differ...
it's quicker in the 1/4, has a higher top speed, and can still handle like no other.

the handling may be equal/close for these two cars, but the vette will be the overall winner.

when i look at a car, i look at the long term.
both cars have great potential.

if you want to look at them for the all out crazyiness you can have...
nothing compares to the zo6/c5.
sorry.

3000ways
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
How does the EVO MR have a better bang for buck than the Z06? I've already PROVEN it costs less than the MR. Are we changing the parameters of the comparison?

Changing parameters, ok yeah what ever with Lingenfelter, yeah that was part of the original thread. I beg to differ that the Lingenfelter would even come close to touching a Norris Design EVO, but I guess we will never know till the two cars get on a race track and battle it out. Besides and I must admit I'm partly to blame for this too, cuz I have kept discussing this also, but if you want a thread comparing Lingenfelter Corvette to Norris Design EVO or HKS EVO than create one, this thread is about the M3 vs. MR vs. ZO6. Flyhisky or what ever you name is, I say the EVO is better than C5s (from performance), and from what I have seen nothing has changed my mind. Especially when we are talking about a car that has how much less HP. Mr Payne the blue book says the 2001 ZO6 cost more than what a EVO MR will, you say it cost less, where I'm from it cost well over what the blue book says, so what exactly did you prove, not a damn thing. Are we gonna have this argument again, cuz if we are I'd be more than happy to prove you wrong again.

flylwsi
05-27-2004, 04:29 PM
if the blue book for a zo6 is under 40k, it doesn't matter, does it?

why must you butcher my name?
it's right in front of you, i don't screw yours up.

keep in mind that blue book doesn't mean that's what the price is going to be. it could be higher/lower.

what argument are you proving us wrong on?
the fact that the zo6 can, and does, outperform the mr?
especially on a road course?
at the least, like i said before, it'd be a wash, with no clear winner.

3000ways
05-27-2004, 04:40 PM
if the blue book for a zo6 is under 40k, it doesn't matter, does it?

why must you butcher my name?
it's right in front of you, i don't screw yours up.

keep in mind that blue book doesn't mean that's what the price is going to be. it could be higher/lower.

what argument are you proving us wrong on?
the fact that the zo6 can, and does, outperform the mr?
especially on a road course?
at the least, like i said before, it'd be a wash, with no clear winner.

Proving wrong was meant for Mr. Payne and his blue book analogy. Your right, I can see us arguing for hours and days about this, they just need to get the two cars together for a race.

youngvr4
05-27-2004, 05:04 PM
it would be lovely to see

Mr Payne
05-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Plus it's price is lower than the other two, leaving me with more than enough money to fix her up.

You said that in your 2nd post in this thread. That is incorrect. You put no qualifiers for location in that statement.

Mr Payne the blue book says the 2001 ZO6 cost more than what a EVO MR will, you say it cost less, where I'm from it cost well over what the blue book says, so what exactly did you prove, not a damn thing. Are we gonna have this argument again, cuz if we are I'd be more than happy to prove you wrong again.

Here are my three arguments:

1) Z06s can be gotten for less than an EVO even with the travel expenses of going cross country. [ie: you flying to my area and buying one.]

2) You never put the qualifier "the Z06 costs more in my area" in your first post. [You're still wrong even if prove my other two points wrong because you never said "the Z06 price must be located within my area".]

3) I find it hard to believe that I found 5 Z06s under the EVO MR price in 30 seconds in my area (Southern California has a fair amount of price adjustment over the rest of the nation) and you found NONE. What is your zip code?

Please, prove me wrong, I need some comedy.

3000ways
05-27-2004, 07:54 PM
You said that in your 2nd post in this thread. That is incorrect. You put no qualifiers for location in that statement.

Here are my three arguments:

1) Z06s can be gotten for less than an EVO even with the travel expenses of going cross country. [ie: you flying to my area and buying one.]

2) You never put the qualifier "the Z06 costs more in my area" in your first post. [You're still wrong even if prove my other two points wrong because you never said "the Z06 price must be located within my area".]

3) I find it hard to believe that I found 5 Z06s under the EVO MR price in 30 seconds in my area (Southern California has a fair amount of price adjustment over the rest of the nation) and you found NONE. What is your zip code?

Please, prove me wrong, I need some comedy.

You want comedy, then please re-read your post. I said blue book value, and if your willing to fly cross country for a car then that's your choice, but most people are not willing to go to such extreme. Like I said early, a Corvette ZO6 can be had for more or less of the blue book, you would have me just post the less and forget the more, I choose to use the medium which happends to be what the blue book uses, is all this too hard for you to understand, guess all human brains are not the same size after all. Also I left a link earlier for you to see what I was talking about, why you chose not to use it, is your fault.

Joseph1082
05-28-2004, 12:14 AM
I'd don't even feel like arguing any more, but you jumped at me and now there are several people supporting what I originally said... both great cars, but one is superior to the other. Thank you.

youngvr4
05-28-2004, 01:18 AM
The End.

moslerporschefreak
05-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry to be off topic but I choose the Lotus Elise (U.S. or Euro spec, doesn't really matter). It is under 40k and has been often heralded as the finest drivers car by many mag editors from evo, Car, R&T, etc. Sorry, just my two cents.

Toyopower
05-30-2004, 10:52 PM
the lotus Elise, all fiberglass body, takes 70 degree corner at 75 mph, quad exaust sporty interior, 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds and all at 39 K

Janet Reno
05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Funny how the heavier, way less powerful luxury four seating M3 is only .4 slower in the 0-60 than the Vette.

Add your comment to this topic!