Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ecu??

Bluesky
01-18-2002, 12:04 PM
I was thinking about installing a hondata ecu in my car. To me it seems like the best ecu for my car if anyone has any suggestions on a better one or any useful info that would be great. thanx...

Rice-Rocketeer
01-18-2002, 12:08 PM
What car do you have and more importantly, what mods have you done to it.

Bluesky
01-18-2002, 12:13 PM
2000 Civic Si

It has headers, exhaust, and intake. I am planning on getting a intake manifold and some type r cams also..

texan
01-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Decide on what you want the finished engine buildup to be, then look into which Hondata ECU (or other manufacturer for that matter) suits your budget and needs best. Right now you certainly do not need a standalone ECU, the stock one is doing just fine.

hrdcorezc
01-18-2002, 04:53 PM
I'd have to agree with Texan on this one, although I wouldn't call a programmable stock ECU a "standalone" system. Unless your planning on doubling or tripling your engines output the Hondata ECU conversion would be a waste of money. A thousand bucks is a lot of money to spend on a programmable ECU if the extent of your modifications is going to be i/h/e with a larger manifold and Type R cams. Especially considering that the power gains from the ECU would be negligable, at best.

exospeedAMcrx
01-18-2002, 06:35 PM
You wouldnt need a Hondata system for just those type of mods. Its way too much money to just tune those basic parts. When getting into more hardcore upgrades such as more aggressive cams, turbo, or higher compression, that is when the Hondata system will help.

In the meantime, look for a place that will do OBD3 chipping(if its even available) or convert your B16 into a OBD1 style ECU. THe OBD1 ECU's are more programmable friendly and with this modification, can free up some HP that the OBD3 system is holding back.

Wil www.exospeed.com

Bluesky
01-19-2002, 12:21 AM
The Hondata system converts it to ODB 1 it comes it many stages. The ODB! converstion is stage one. It also is always upgradeable, which is why i believe it is a good choice. You can also tune it with a lap top and is acceptable to a stock motor or a modded one. This is why i am thinking of getting it...

fritz_269
01-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by exospeedAMcrx
In the meantime, look for a place that will do OBD3 chipping(if its even available) or convert your B16 into a OBD1 style ECU. THe OBD1 ECU's are more programmable friendly and with this modification, can free up some HP that the OBD3 system is holding back. FYI, OBD III does not exist (at least not yet). All US production cars sold after 1/1/1996 use an OBD II compliant system. And since the OBD III standard is not defined yet, it will be at least three years, if not longer, before OBD III comes into play.

Even so, most OBD II systems are not physically easy to reprogram - a swap to an OBD I system or a complete standalone ECU is usually necessary if you wan't total control.
:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!