Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Aurora will not start plaes help

Dougg
05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
95 Aurora has 12.8 volts power will not even try to turn over. Cleaned key, checked teminals, wiggled gear shift, waited and retried. Any Ideas or suggestions are more than welcomed, Dougg

jimmymc
05-21-2004, 07:28 AM
If all electrical connections are clean and tight...the starter brushes may be worn out. when starter brushes wear to the point were a connection can no longer be made...nothing will happen...no click, no noise...no nothing.

An old mechanics trick on GM no starts such as this... is to have someone hold the key in start poistion and whack the starter with a hammer...if the starter brushes are the problem...the jar will usually cause the starter to work enough to start the car and get it into the shop, where you can overhaul the starter.

This method is obviuosly dangerous...so use all caution if you try it.

There could be many causes for symptoms such as you describe most have to do with interupped electrical connections...wheather by design or malfunction.

Good luck...jimmymc

Tomsriv
05-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I would assume it is the solenoid because if the starter is bad you will at least hear the solenoid click. It could also be a bad ignition switch in the dash. Check to see if the solenoid is getting power when the key is in the start position.

bustedratchet
05-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I would agree with Tom. I just did a repair on a 95 and it turned out to be the ignition switch.To check if the solenoid is geting power on the passenger side of the motor there is a purple wire that snakes under the intake manifold check for power there in the crank position. If not take the shroud off the steering column the switch is right under the the turn signal lever. Coming into the switch you will see a bunch of wires Thers should be power in the yellow wire in the crank position. If not the switch is bad. $167.00 list price at the dealer

Add your comment to this topic!