Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ultimate Crazy Supercar Idea

Nexagen
05-20-2004, 12:18 AM
A couple of days ago I thought of a cool idea for a car... although it is really illogical and well almost impossible to ever build it, here is what I think the ultimate supercar should be... hey it cant hurt to dream can it?

Only 100 Should be manufactured to keep it's value high.

PERFORMANCE STATS:

1) Vehicle Gross Weight: Less than 2,500 Pounds

2) 1450 HP Quad-Turbo Dual Engine V8+8 With 48 Valve Fuel Injection

3) AWD Drivetrain with 7 Speed Transmission with perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

4) Top speed 300 MPH

5) Active Adjustable Suspension (Like the Skyline Suspension)

6) 8 Piston Carbon Metallic Slotted+Cross Drilled Braking System on
each of the 4 Wheels.

EXTRAS

1) The Speedometer should digitally show on the windshield and the windshield would act as a computer screen displaying and showcasing all the functions of the onboard computer. Today only the C5 corvette shows all the information on a digital windshield. What if it could display much more on a whole new different car?

2) The computer should have theses modes:
A) A complete navigation system of all major highways and streets
with all information appearing in detail right on the windshield
screen. It should retrieve additional information through a GPS
system.

B) An entertainment mode in which your windshield screen would
act as a TV screen that plays any videos you place inside your
Stereo/Video System. It should only allow the driver to activate
this mode when the engine is off for safety issues.

C) Act as a complete tachometer system measuring all of
the important components of a car which should include: Oil
Temp, Pressure, Fuel Remaining and many other tachs.

D) Display various camera modes including rear view, side view L+R,
Blind Spot View.

E) Built in 11 Band Radar displaying on the windshield display.

3) The car should have radar guided cruise control allowing the car to
calculate and adjust the speed precisely so that it will not hit any
car while in cruise control mode.

4) It should have more than twice the functions of the Mecedes S600,
voice recognition and all the goodies.

5) Sparco/Recaro Seats with 16 adjustable modes that can be
adjusted to the millimeter.

6) Custom Built Bose Sound System with COMPLETE Alpine F1 System.

7) The car should not require any keys and should start with the push
of a button similar to the Dodge Viper RT-10 BUT- it would say in a
sexy digital female voice, "System loading... Welcome
(DRIVER'S NAME PREVIOUSLY RECORDED) ! You last drove on
XX Day XX Month XX Year at XX:XX Time. You have XX.X Gallons
of Fuel Remaining. Have a Pleasant Drive!"

8) The car should come with a built in voice recognition wireless
telephone that should be activated by simply saying
"Dial 1-800-123-4567" and to hang up, "Hang Up" + many other
features including video conferencing through the digital display
on the windshield.

9) The car should remember the places you've stopped at and record
that information using the onboard navigational computer. Next
time you drive you will know exactly to return to any destination
you have'nt previously been to be following the directions shown
on the display of the car's windshield telling your to turn left or
right, get off at an exit and tell you how many more miles to get
there. Not only that but it gives you the option of telling you
these directions in the car's computerized voice.

10) The car should come standard with a steal-proof alarm system.
This system would update the car's information to a private
account website via the internet through a secure server giving
the car's current location and information to where it is headed
should it be stolen. This online control should also provide options:

A) To remotely start or turn off the car's ignition.
B) Alert the authorities that the car has been stolen while
providing the car's current location for immidiate apprehension.
C) Ability to control all of the car's functions remotely.

11) The car should come standard with a premium leather interior.
Available in Black, Tan, White to the customer's preferrence..

BODY DESIGN

1) The car body should be made completely out of Carbon Fiber except for the windows.

2) The car body design would be a cross-breed between the Ferrari Enzo, Saleen S7 and the Koeniggseg but with a more aerodynamic design that would slice through mostly all forms of air resistance.

3) It should come standard as a 2 seater convertible.

4) The car should come standard with Gull-Wing Doors

5) The tires should be an Ultra Specially Engineered High Performance
Tire that would perfectionalize on comfort, grip, noise, wet and wear.

6) Due to the dual engines, it does not have a trunk so the only space
is the glove compartment.

7) The car should be available in the following colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, Black and White each color to be produced and manufactured 20 for each and for a toal of 100 combined cars in all colors.

NEW INNOVATION

1) The uniqueness of this car is that it should have the ability to shut off any 2 cylinders to a minimum of 4 cylinders working to become more fuel efficient and also the ability to activate all 16 cylinders for full power at the expense of less fuel economy.

2) The car should have one V8 Twin Turbo Charged Engine in the front of the car and another in the back of the car for a perfect and evenly distributed weight.

3) The car's 4 turbos should have the ability to be switched off individually, allowing the driver to choose how many turbos the car should use for a minimum of 0 Turbos and a maximum of all 4 turbos turned on.

4) Emergency and safety equiptment should include airbags for both driver and passenger, side-airbags and emergency parachute relese button that releases 2 parachutes to assist in immidiate deceleration.

5) The car should have a parachute cut off switch to release the dual parachutes.

The price tag for this vehicle if it is ever to be built in my opinion is $2,000,000.00 USD and insurance coverage is NOT included LOL.

2turboimports
05-20-2004, 01:12 AM
you should just buy a TVR cerbera speed 12....lol..

i guess it never hurts to dream....after all concept cars are just that for the most part

Neutrino
05-20-2004, 03:15 AM
I'm sorry but your car has numerous flaws.

The twin engines one in front one in the back is a terrible layout since you would have lots and lots of polar momentum making it a physics nightmare during turns. The best placement for the heavy parts such as the driver or the engine is towards the rotational center of the car. This is why mid engine cars are the best.

To reach 300MPH its aerodinamics will sacrifice to much downforce(one of the flaws in the Mclaren F1)

You cannot receive information via the GPS system, all the satelites are trasnmiting is their location and their onboad time. The bandwith is very limited so you could not update your maps that way.

The heads up displays in the C5 vette is not a digital winshield, the information is projected on it and it is very low rezolution making it worthless for any media viewing. An entire digital winshied/LCD would be ridiculously expensive to R&D and manufacture and might not be crashsafe.

The suspension in the skyline is nowhere near the best. You would want something along the lines of a double a-arm pushrod actuated suspension as in the Koenisegg or Carrera GT.

Those are just some of the problems.

Evil Result
05-20-2004, 12:47 PM
A single quad turbo charged V12 would do the trick. I'v played with Dyno2000 for some time and i got a 6L V12 with over 1200 HP, at 11 psi of boost.

Reed
05-20-2004, 12:56 PM
adn the part where you aid it should have the best aerodynamics and be less than 2500lbs... those two things dont go very well with convertibles and plus convertibles look terrible with roll cages.

i think you want the drivetrain out of the bugatti veyron. thats a Volkswagon W16 quad turbo with all wheel drive and i think maybe even a 7 speed sequential gearbox. but in that car i think the aerodynamics leave something to be desired.

veyron 16/4
05-20-2004, 01:40 PM
convertible and gull wings?

SaabJohan
05-20-2004, 03:07 PM
2500 pounds is heavy... (about 1800 pounds would be much better).

Weight distribution, about 40-45 to 60-55.

If you want an active suspension system the system used by Williams in F1 about 10-15 years ago are among the best systems.

As for the body it should mainly be made of carbon fibre and kevlar reinforced plastic, the old group C cars are an excellent example on how it can look. These cars had tons of downforce but still the drag was quite low.

For the chassi it's given; a carbon fibre and kevlar reinforce plastic monocoque with aluminum honeycomb. No roll cage will be needed. Fully stressed engine and gearbox.

Also a single engine is the way to go (for the reasons Neutrino mentioned), it can be rear wheel driven or 4 wheel driven, usually rwd is enough.

As for the engine, when using turbocharging it doesn't need to be any monster engine. For example in the group C cars Toyota used an inline 4 with a displacement of about 2 liters, it developed 1200 hp with good reliability. V10 engines are often good from an overall perspective (a single plane V8 offer a little better fuel consumption and is better for the chassi with the cost of some power). To base the design of a F1 engine can be a good idea due to their small size, low weight and high power. The stroke should be increased somewhat for a decreased rpm and all parts must be made stronger (for the block and crankcase I think steel would be a good choice instead of aluminum). Supercar engines based on F1 engines have been used by Ferrari with for example F50.
To reach power figures of 3000 hp with a 4 liter F1 based engine should be possible (not on normal gasoline however).

The engine, transmission, differentials and so on should be handled by a control system like Magneti Marelli Step9 where the driver has to do as little as possible, and what have to be done should be easy to do, without remove the hands of the steering wheel. Of course all turbochargers should be runned at all times. Base the system on the electronics used in an F1 car (like the Step9), then add all the goodies that aren't allowed.

Everything that doesn't improve the performance of the car don't belong there. Convertibles lack stiffness and increase drag, a closed car is the way to go unless it should be open like an Audi R8.

Brakes are also given, carbon/carbon, that's the best one can get. Calipers in aluminum-beryllium.

Power steering should be electro hydraulic just like the control of the clutch, gearbox, differential, drive by wire throttles, variable inlets and the active suspension.

Airbags and parachute - no, not needed.

Interior, carbon fibre/kevlar reinforced plastic. Seats made specially for the driver (like any serious race car), either in carbon fibre reinforced plastic or the same with some soft material on it.

Reed
05-22-2004, 05:55 PM
you may be able to do without the power steering if it is a mid-engine car. That would give the driver a much better feel of the road and with a car that weighs less that a ton with more weight in the rear than the front it wouldnt be hard to turn the stearing wheel at all.

Moppie
05-22-2004, 06:34 PM
If I ever find a billion dollars in a bag on the side of the road Im giving it to SaabJohan :D

Evil Result
05-23-2004, 06:27 AM
That 1200 HP 6L V12 of mine gets that at 9500 RPM, with over 800 ft/lbs of torque from 5500 to 7500 RPM :)

SaabJohan
05-25-2004, 12:21 AM
That 1200 HP 6L V12 of mine gets that at 9500 RPM, with over 800 ft/lbs of torque from 5500 to 7500 RPM :)
Ferrari took out 750 hp with their 4.7 (?) litre F50 engine in the GT version at 10.500 rpm. If we added 11 psi of boost the power should probably have risen to 1300 hp. But why stop at such low boost, if we used say 30 psi we would have over 2000 hp. To make the engine durable is however another issue.

Evil Result
05-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Yea could have gone a route with really high boost but then you couldn't manage to run on pump gas....which i'm thinking it could run on pump gas with 11 PSI. it will rev to 9500 i guess thats about right for a supercar engine, and has a nice mid range torque curve.

SaabJohan
05-27-2004, 08:48 PM
You can still run on pump gas on a high boost engine but you will have to use a lower compression ratio. It's however a simple task to map the engine to several fuels using different boost pressures.

To get an engine that's nice at lower revs usually comes with the cost of high end power.

454Casull
06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Not another one of these...

DJJC
06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Well, a lot of dreaming has been happening there, so i thought id ad my angle.

At the moment, ive decided that dreams without direction are boring. ive begun designing my dream car, with the intention of building it mostly myself. basically, its a 3.3L DOHC supercharged V12, driving a part time 4WD setup through a 7 speed sequential gearbox. its a two seat (maybe a single seater at this point, im having issues with the cars length), centrally mounted chassis (i.e, driver, engine and gb all in a line, like an F1 car). the project goals are for 500Kw and less than 800Kg, cornering force of 2.5Gs, 400m in under 11 (should be easy)

ideally, the car wil be registrable in australia, but if its not, its no skin off my nose. the brief is to design a car for rich folks who are after a track car that is rediculessly fast. i dont intend on having it super exclusive - the notion that it isnt road registrable will take care of that, but it wil be rather cheap. something on the lines of $500 000 tops australian (300K USD), probably much less than that.

no stereo, no aiconditioning, no doors, no roof, no windsreen (youll need a helmet) and definately no baggage. in order to cut down weight, ive been doing some experiments with paper composites for minor bodywork, carbon for the high pressure areas / diffuser. Itll have a digital display, like the first guy was talking about, but it wont project onto a screen, because there is none.

Add your comment to this topic!