Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best Motor Oil

Nexagen
05-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Out of these 3 motor oils which one do you guys think is the best?

1) Mobil ONE
http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

2) Royal Purple 5W-30 Synthethic
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html

3) Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 Synthethic Oil
http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html

I personally think that these 3 are the best in the world. But which one is THE #1?

From what I've heard Mobil 1 is the best Non-Synthethic. But if synthethic is better which one of the two synthethics is finer and lubricates more?

Amsoil or Royal Purple?
I personally have been using Royal Purple in my last 2 oil changes. But Amsoil's research shows that their stuff is finer by a couple microns. Also I've heard that Amsoil is used in all the NASCAR Race Cars...

I need an oil change soon and my car has a 4 Cyl 16 Valve Fuel injection engine with a SOHC.

Neutrino
05-20-2004, 03:28 AM
Mobil 1 is 100% syntetic, It is not even partially derived from dyno oil like Castrol Syntec. They even had a legal fight about it.

Anyway IMO Mobil 1 is easily among the best comercial oils readily available. I understand that there are some oils used in racing much better but they have very high costs.

SaabJohan
05-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Motul racing oils are one of the better oils you can get. Mobil 1 racing oil is probably also quite good, otherwise I should checked out the racing oils from Red Line and Shell.

Over 70% of the NASCAR teams use Mobil 1.

Polygon
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
All I'll put in my turbo-charged cars is Mobile 1. I consider them to be the best.

Holyterror
05-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Mobil 1 is the best oil you will find off the shelf, unless you happen to have an Amsoil dealer around. As with everything else, Wal-Mart buys tons of it; you can sometimes find 5 quart containers there for ~$15 U.S. This is the only time I advise putting something from Wal-Mart in your car. I used Syntec for a couple years. It's on the list of Porsche-approved synthetics. And, IMHO, it's a terrific (albeit slightly expensive) engine flush.

I have friends at the drag strip who swear by Motul, but I have no personal experience with it. Red Line has a good reputation too, but I can't confirm this either. I've actually heard some complaints about Rotella T, but again I haven't actually used it.

I happen to be using Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 right now, and it's the best oil I've ever used. This stuff is the ultimate as far as mileage is concerned. Oil analysis confirms that it has better detergent properties than Mobil 1 (either that or my engine is miraculously running cleaner these days). Now, it's not an earth-shattering sort of thing. But impressive. It has the longest recommended drain interval of any oil on the market, 35,000 miles. It's more expensive as well, and you'll probably have to order it. There's nothing wrong with Mobil 1. I have several gallons of Mobil 1 gear oil in my garage.

It's worth noting that Amsoil makes other (cheaper) grades of oil, which are also quite good. If you go with Mobil 1, you'll be in good shape as well. I think it's far more important that you go synthetic, than which synthetic you choose.

Kurtdg19
05-21-2004, 02:28 AM
I've always used Mobil 1 and I've never ever had any problems with it. Most of my family strangely likes to use Castrol? Ever since one of my family members blew his engine when going through a borg in the Everglades (Florida) using Mobil 1, he seems to have a tiff whenever I put Mobil 1 in my car. Oh well, he hasn't had problems with Castrol, so I guess I'm not going to push his buttons about it.

quaddriver
05-21-2004, 01:36 PM
What motor oil is not nearly as important as changing it.

if you look at the MDSS's for motor oils (you can find them at www.bobistheoilguy.com) you see that syn oil is only about 10% better than non-syn oil.

Todays motor oils are of such high quality that they will be overloaded with soot and solids months before they start to break down. (In fact, if the conditions to break down motor oil actually occured in your motor, the motor would be irrepairably harmed.)

I rebuild a lot of motors in the shop, and even the ones with built in oiling problems (gm 660V6's come to mind) dont suffer much. By the time you get to a point where you throw a rod, the motor oil used was not the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!