Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please help before warranty on 2001 expires!

_J_
05-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Hey everybody,

I just found this site and really enjoyed checking out the old messages.

I have a 2001 LeSabre with 45k miles. I just bought it 2 months ago and am having some problems already. I plan to take it to the dealer, but would like to go with a little info just in case.

1. The tranny makes a clunk if I let the car coast, allow the speed to drop 5mph, and then apply some gas. The more gas you give it, the harder the clunk. I feel it more than hear it and its like a hesitation followed by a thump. Could it be a motor/tranny mount?

I had the car at the dealer not too long ago for an unrelated problem and the tranny was diagnosed and there were no abnormal codes seen at that time. I think the problem was present then, but it was less severe and I didn't pay attention to it as much.

2. The tranny also shifts harsh during upshifts and downshifts. Not real hard, but like a hesitation.

3. Is it normal for the car to sound like an electric drill when I give it ~1/2 throttle? Its a whistling, rotary tool sort of sound. Maybe I have a rare turbo model!!! If I give it 3/4 throttle, there is no sound.

4. Is it normal to use 1 qt of oil over 5000 miles? I haven't found any leaks and there's no smoke or residue from the tailpipe. Seems like a bit much for a 2001...

5. Lastly, the driver window makes a load noise going down, but not up. It works fine but is annoying, like a normal window noise but much, much louder.

Any help appreciated. I know its a lot of questions, but I'm a bit frustrated with the car. I love the 3800 V6 and Buicks are very comfortable, but I wasn't expecting problems so soon. The car is in great shape otherwise.

tman
05-19-2004, 08:46 PM
1 + 2- I have no idea

3- No, it shouldn't
4- No, it shouldn't burn ANY oil. My 94 park ave has never burned oil.
5- no idea

Jed Rule
05-19-2004, 10:12 PM
#1 & 2. There are a few bullitins on the 4T65E transmission for harsh shifts/shudders/slips/harsh engagement. You can get them from Alldata.
#3. Try removing/loosening the belt for a few minutes and listen for the sound. Could be the a/c compressor which cuts off on full throttle.
#4. 5000 miles! How about an oil change? With synthetic oil I'd change at 5000 and would not be concerned with 1 quart loss.
#5. Could be the regulator or motor.
The dealer should be able to review these things and look up the bullitins. But of course the problem with most dealers is they forgot this rule:YOU HAVE TO WANT TO FIX THE CAR

tman
05-20-2004, 06:20 AM
As for #3, I dont care what kind of oil you use, synthetic of regular, a practically new 3800 should not burn any oil. My household has owned the previous cars, all of which are powered by a variation of the GM 3800

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (new) L67
99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (new) L67
01 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (new) L37
01 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (new) L67
99 Buick Park Avenue (new) L37
96 Buick Park Avenue ~56000 L37
94 Buick Park Avenue~146000 L27
91 Buick Park Avenue~124000 L27
91 Buick Park Avenue Ultra~174000 L27

None ever burned oil (10 W-30), but we change oil every 3000 miles, 2000 on the tho 91's and my 94

_J_
05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input.

I have seen the TSB for this car. Its about as long as my arm.

The compressor sounds like a good place to start with the noise.

As for the oil, I used to change it every 3000 miles, but most everone I talk to and everything I have read says its a waste of money. Even the owner's manual recommends 7000 mile intervals (the computer says about 6000 miles). I also saw a message in another area that said oil cumsumption could be caused by a bad PCV and incomplete combustion. I agree that a 2001 3800 V6 with 45k should not consume any oil.

Thanks again. Anybody else have ideas?

pcmos
06-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I have no idea what this issue with the rough tranny shifts may be, I had the exact same problem with my 1992 LeSabre after it had around 200k miles on it, but my 2000 came with this problem when I purchased it as a pre-owned a few months ago.

The whine sound coming from the engine on mine seems to be related to the EGR system and I think it may be a vacuum whistle coming from the EGR assembly near the front of the engine, I can reproduce it to some extent by simply revving the engine in the driveway a few times under the hood.

So far I don't seem to have and oil consumption problem however I know GM has had serious issues with the EGR port on the plastic intake manifold and you may want to check your coolant level as well to make sure that it hasn't dropped in conjunction with the poor combustion/oil consumption.

If you read this message and you do find out what the problem with the tranny is, please post an update, I'll do the same, I have an extended GM bumper to bumper on this car and I am just going to annoy the heck out of every dealer I can find until they fix the stupid thing. It is a very annoying problem and it is probably something simple. From what I have read on the internet I really don't think this is a mount problem as I had originally hoped.

timrice
06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
tman2093 is right. A 3800 that's been maintained properly won't burn oil. I've owned four of them. Still have three. My '90 has 275K on it; I change the oil every 3000. It leaks none, burns none.

tman
06-07-2004, 10:00 PM
tman2093 is right.

*sniff* I'm not crying, I've just got dirt in my eye

Say anything about this, and I will ban you. :lol::cheers:

Add your comment to this topic!