Tire Slapping Noise

2Slow4U_Noob
05-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Ok so when I accelerate really fast then left off the fast pedal I hear a kind of "tire slapping" noise. Thats the best I can describe it. The car kinda stutters for a second because of the noise. Anyone know what this is or if anything is wrong?

ghostguy6
05-19-2004, 05:50 PM
it might be the tires slipping on the rims? im not sure you need to decribe it a little better

MagicRat
05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
It could be looseness or slack in the driveline or engine mounts.

rubix777
05-19-2004, 11:15 PM
what's yoru tire pressure? maybe the tires are inflated too much and you aren't gripping much.

2Slow4U_Noob
05-20-2004, 12:20 AM
It's hard to describe the sound...its kinda like the car is skipping..you also can clearly feel the car skipping...i thought it would have something to do with traction either too much or too little..it only happens when I accelerate a bunch then left off quickly..I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the tire pressure because they were low at first and it was happening then I put some air in and it didnt seem to change it..I'm not too concerned about the issue..just more curious wat it could be..of course if anyone tells me it could be something more major then I will be alot more concerned ! :eek7:

rubix777
05-20-2004, 08:23 PM
I think you might be talking about clutch chatter. I had that problem on my 94 Accord LX. It would feel like the front of the car is trying to jump when I'm accelerating from a stop.

jimmymc
05-21-2004, 09:34 AM
What kind of exhaust system is on the car?

jimmymc

Moppie
05-21-2004, 09:40 AM
What sort of car is it to begin with?
Does it happen as you acclerate? or only when you lift off?

2Slow4U_Noob
05-21-2004, 04:48 PM
I have a 95 talon tsi and it has an aftermarket greddy exhaust. It only happens when I accelerate and left of the throttle. I would be surprised if it was the clutch, I'v had alot of problems with the clutch before. Is this something bad or just more of a nuisance you think?

rubix777
05-21-2004, 05:32 PM
if you can still shift fine I don't think it's a big problem. first figure out if the sound really is the tire slapping or maybe it's a loose tranny bolt.

when you say it only happens when you lift off the throttle, you mean when the car's weight shifts to the front like going from the engine pushing the car -> car dragging the engine?

Moppie
05-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Normally a slapping noise is a flat spot on the tyre, but it occurs whether your acclerating or driving at a constant speed. Its also not that loud, and most aftermarket exhausts would mask it.

It sounds like something has come lose on the underside of the car, and is rubbing against the wheel and tyre, or the drive shaft. Under accleration the g forces are shifting it back just enough to rub, but at a constant speed it hangs lose.
I would get the car up on some axle stands or ramps and get under it and have a look for a broken CV boot cover, or piece of undertray thats come lose.

jimmymc
05-21-2004, 09:45 PM
I thought all cars with AM exhaust and manual shift made a popping noise from the exhaust when you accelerate and suddenly let off the throttle.

jimmymc

Nexagen
05-22-2004, 02:07 AM
It could be that your tires well uh... suck.

I've had that problem when my car had stock tires. On every corner my car had a different brand name tires although it was the same size. They wore out horribly uneven and eventually made a tire slapping noise.

So I got sick of it and it's horrible handling and wipped out some cash and got me some Falken Azenis St-115 Ultra High Performance Tires on all 4 wheels.

These things wear out a little faster than most tires by as much as 33% faster. But it's a softer compound and has little microscopic vacuum holes that suck up road noise.

On stock tires I would hear that tire slapping noise...

But on my Falken Azenis St-115's the noise is gone and performance has skyrocketed! Things stick like glue to the road.

So if you got cash get these tires, quietest racing tires I know of...

-Nexagen

Add your comment to this topic!