Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 pontiac

DAVE K
05-18-2004, 10:18 PM
i have a 1985 parisienne 4bbl.
do'es anyone know if this carb should kick
down from a fast idle
or do i just maybe have some stickey
linkage?
thanks

CarSuperfreak
05-19-2004, 07:47 AM
the choke should open by itself once the eingine warms up. But I had the same problem where (once I got it inot high idle) it wouldn't come out of it by itself. One quick tap on the gas should bring it back to normal idle

DAVE K
05-23-2004, 03:20 PM
still idles fast,fast to the point i need to ride the brake in town,then diseals like crazy when shut off.
could it be that little elec.dash pot in front of linkage?has something to do with high&low idle.
could be wrong to.

DAVE K
05-27-2004, 12:20 AM
i still have idle problems w/85 parisienne 305 4bbl.on the opposite side of carb.ifound a push lever that takes it to a low idle,is this a manual reset?also sometimes it idles very high to the point its hard to shut offother times idles perfect all day.

CarSuperfreak
05-27-2004, 07:47 AM
you mentioned that it dieseled too when you shut it off; this could merely be a carb adjustment problem. on the back of the carb (facing the firewall) there should be 2 very small screws. these are some sort of fuel adjustment (im not exactly sure what they do) but by turning them either clockwise or counterclockwise (a very little bit!) this should adjust the carb so it shouldnt diesel when its shut off.

DAVE K
05-27-2004, 11:53 PM
i think it is the fuel air mixture you are talking about [think]but i know what you mean
thanks i shall try it

Add your comment to this topic!