Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 SC1--Poor Handling in Windy Conditions

cmancini
05-18-2004, 06:46 PM
I have a 2001 SC1 and when there is the slightest amount of wind,the rear end of my vehicle wants to slide out, it is hard to keep control of the vehicle. The wind can be as little as 15MPH with my vehicle speed at 60MPH. Has anyone else had this phenomenon?

sierrap615
05-19-2004, 12:56 AM
fix: get a heavier car.

ok really, yeah saturns are light, its hard to say whats normal. ride in another saturn see how it feels. you say the rear end? humm... the DOHC saturns come stock with a rear sway bar, it helps with handling around corners, but i don't anyone who has added one just for wind control. you can find a kit over at SPS or you may get luckly in a junkyard. also adding a spoiler may help. (just ideas, i can't promise anything)

SRX5171
05-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Well you could kill two birds with one stone by... getting lowering springs or coil overs for your car. This will lower you car to the ground and allow less air to get under it. Of course you'll have a bumpier sportier ride then. You could also get a new set of Rims for your car with a wider tire base. This would of course create more grip to the road and possibly eliminate the problem. Of course each of these are not meant to solve that problem but it could work. They would come with a price tag though $$$

saturnsc2
05-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I have a 2001 SC1 and when there is the slightest amount of wind,the rear end of my vehicle wants to slide out, it is hard to keep control of the vehicle. The wind can be as little as 15MPH with my vehicle speed at 60MPH. Has anyone else had this phenomenon?
i have a 2001 sc2. this car has a different suspension than the sc1. you get a rear sway bar, different rate springs, steering, wider tires. my car handles like a sports car. you might want to order a rear sway bar from an sc2. this would be the best bet. maybe try using the same tires as well. i don't know how many miles is on your car, but your struts could be worn too......

Add your comment to this topic!