Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timming belt replacemenrt

saysjon12
05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
I have a 1997 Accord LX 4 cylinder. What is the reccommended timing belt replacement. I have 49.5K miles on car. Please advise.

avpart3
05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Most cars are 60k but for your accord, I believe its somewhere around 75K miles. under extreme driving conditions you should change at 60K.

But more importantly , you have a '97 that only has 49k on it. Did that car belong to your grandmother before or something?

saysjon12
05-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Most cars are 60k but for your accord, I believe its somewhere around 75K miles. under extreme driving conditions you should change at 60K.

But more importantly , you have a '97 that only has 49k on it. Did that car belong to your grandmother before or something?

It is my wifes car....only drives it about 5 miles a day to work and back. I was told it also goes by time( 6 years). Do you think i should replace it?

drew_dog
05-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Chilton's manual says every 80k miles. I replaced mine around 100k miles and it looked practically new. if you live in a really dry area, like southern Arizona or something, then go ahead and replace it, otherwise I'd wait a while. You should also replace the water pump when you do the timing belt.

saysjon12
05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Chilton's manual says every 80k miles. I replaced mine around 100k miles and it looked practically new. if you live in a really dry area, like southern Arizona or something, then go ahead and replace it, otherwise I'd wait a while. You should also replace the water pump when you do the timing belt.

is there a time limit as well?

SenseiAccord
05-18-2004, 09:29 PM
if the belt looks cracked or worn or anything odd then change it. i would change it about every 80k miles for preventative or preventive or whatever maintance. just dont wait till it breaks to change it.. could damage something.

avpart3
05-19-2004, 11:37 AM
I agree with Drewdog. If you live in a extremely hot and dry place than change it. If you live in an extrememly cold place like Alaska then change it. It depends if the car is under extreme circumstances. But every 80K I would say and definitely don't wait til it breaks. Cuz when a timing belt breaks. U screw up alot of other things. and that is definite. will cost you at least a Grand or more. So check it out yourself and see if it looks worn and beat up. If not your fine. And get that water pump done the same time you get the belt changed.

Add your comment to this topic!