Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ac blows same as outside temperature

spyorg
05-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Ok, I checked the gas pressure on the low side and found it a bit higher than normal (according to the color coded gauge from autozone), so I guess it does not need a recharge.

The compressor clutch engages steadily when the ac is turned on so I guess that is not a problem either. I forgot to check temperature of the hoses near the compressor in order to get an idea if that is working.

Assuming it does not need recharging and does not have a leak (since pressure is high), and the compressor is working, what could be the problem?

I know I should just take it to the shop, but I would like to get an idea of what to expect before I shell out more money on this.

Thanks!

geojim
05-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Make sure the slider lever is working on the dash. You should hear the flabbers move when you slide it from the Red (heat) side to the Blue (Air) side.

spyorg
05-18-2004, 11:11 PM
The slider worked when I used it in the winter for heating so it should be working. What do you mean by flabber?

geojim
05-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Otherwise known as dampers or control doors that control the amount and type (hot/cold) air. My wife complained that the A/C was not cold enough. Before really doing anything, I noticed she left the slider lever half way between the red and blue. Sliding it all the way into the blue produced cold air.

spyorg
05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Man I am really mad at Autozone. I paid 20 bucks for the ac gauge and the stupid thing indicated 65 psi which made me decide against recharging with the two cans of 134 which I also bought from them.

I decided to go to the shop and the tech then put it on his equiment which indicated low pressure so all it needed was recharge. I decided to allow him to do the evac and recharge for 90 bucks. So now AC is ice cold and I am mad as hell!

What am I supposed to do with the two cans of 134, one can of dye and a stupid innacurate gauge? I don't think I have the darn receipt.

GRRRRR!

Oldteg
05-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Will you ship the 134? How much do you want for it?

spyorg
05-20-2004, 04:06 PM
If I were not so lazy I would probably ship it to u but it's only worth about 3 or 4 bucks each (if I remember correctly) here and u can probably pick em up without any hassle at any auto shop near you. Besides, I thought I would keep em in case I get a leak next summer. Guess it would cost me zero as opposed to 90 bucks next time! Thanks for the offer anyway! :)

Oldteg
05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, My state won't allow the stores to sell it here. I cant get it. Let me know. Maybe we could set it up so you can buy it and we will get it from you at a profit.

spyorg
05-20-2004, 05:55 PM
What state is that? I am not really interested making money with this. I could ship a couple cans to you but only if its legal. I just don't want to take any chances with shipping potentially explosive substances across state lines. If those cans explode in the mail, I am sure they would come looking for me ! I'll ask around about the NYC customs laws regarding 134 and let u know.

Oldteg
05-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Im in wisconsin. We havent been able to get the stuff for 10 years.

tsugsr
05-21-2004, 10:13 PM
you cant ship that stuff via air, maybe via ground shipping but im not sure.

98-integra
05-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Im in wisconsin. We havent been able to get the stuff for 10 years.

what he has is r-134a if your car hasnt been switched over then you car should use r-12 which you are right they dont make anymore and you can only buy used r-12 but it still cost a lot to get it i think its about $46.00 lbs (last time i check) you can have your car changed over to r-134a you have to get the filter dyier replaced and i think 2 seals

some people just remove the r-12 and just put in r-134a and dont have any problems you might what to try that

Add your comment to this topic!