Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best quality `Cuda kit?

Purpura Delujo
05-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Has anyone built the Revell-Monogram 1971 Cuda street machine kit?
http://www.revell-monogram.com/store/img/prods/m/161m.jpg

I'm wondering if it is better then the Revell-Monogram Hemi Cuda kit, which only comes with the parts for a stock build.
http://www.revell-monogram.com/store/img/prods/m/155m.jpg

Or am I just asking a stupid question because both kits are made with the same molds etc but Revell has just thrown a few extra parts in with the Street machine version?

supermod04
05-17-2004, 11:22 PM
am I just asking a stupid question because both kits are made with the same molds etc but Revell has just thrown a few extra parts in with the Street machine version?

i am pretty sure that is the same kit....but they added a few diffrent parts just to make them diffrent. if you have the money buy both kits...

Honoturtle
05-18-2004, 12:58 AM
I've purchased the street machine kit, and it has no option to make a totally stock car. First off, you only have one set of rims, which are two different styles of Centerline type rims (2 w/ holes, 2 w/o). You do have a Hemi engine, but not any stock options for the engine, such as the shaker scoop/hood. Also, you don't get the cool spoiler, instead a lip type.

That's all the differences I know, I haven't seen the decals for the stock model.

Layla's Keeper
05-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Okay, I'll tell you guys this straight up, the Revell 'Cudas are poorly proportioned. The 1971 Hemi 'Cuda and Street Machine are okay at best, having poor rear deck contours and irregular roofs. Even worse is their 1970 AAR 'Cuda which is just a Dodge Challenger with a 'Cuda grille and rear fascia.

All of the kits are based on the tooling created in the mid 80's for Monogram's 1970 Dodge Challenger 2 n' 1 kit. That kit alone was good, with a very well proportioned Challenger body although the suspension detail and the engine were fairly simple but accurate.

Unfortunately, Monogram butchered the tooling not too long after merging with Revell to create the AAR 'Cuda. Luckily, they set things right by rehashing the kit to make it into a Challenger T/A.

The very best proportioned 'Cuda kit, when you lay everything down on the line, is the old Johan Sox & Martin Hemi 'Cuda drag kit. Even though it didn't have a stock hood, it was still the single best proportioned 'Cuda body ever.

Purpura Delujo
05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah I know that Revell used mostly the exact same parts for their E bodies. I built the Hemi `Cuda kit awhile back, some of you might remember it. I'm just wondering if the street machine box is just more parts. I'm still not sure which to buy, maybe the stock one again, but I want the AAR style spoiler.

Add your comment to this topic!