Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alpine Type R vs. Alpine Type S (2004)

aznxthuggie
05-17-2004, 10:48 PM
ok guys sorry for asking the same kinds of questions over n over, but i found out a few days ago that alpine made 2004 type S, it runs the same RMS, seems easier to wire, and has a lower peak, also i called alpine, i got the specs for boxes for with the type r and type s, i asked the alpine guy about the difference between the two types, he said the type r has better quality, and the type s is more of a value brand, but crap if you even seen the new type S, just the look is appealing, anyone heard them yet? i haven't but i know for sure that the type r sound good

i can get the 12 type r for $120
and the type s for $100

which sub is a better buy?

alphalanos
05-17-2004, 10:51 PM
id go for the Type R. my friend has two of last years models in his car, they slam very hard. i know that you are looking at the new ones, but the R series is intended to be better then the S. its up to you though listen to both if you can then decide on one... there is really no answer from someone else, its how you hear it.

aznxthuggie
05-17-2004, 10:55 PM
yea, im probably goign to go with the type r, but i haven't heard the new type S yet, i guess i gotta find a place that carries them and go check it out, and its also dvc instead of svc, and the voice coils are right next to eachother, which makes it easier to wire, anyways the alpine guy said the type r has more quality, and since im going for sq i'll get the type R, but i'll probably end up buying the type S with a vented box in a few months, just to see how it sounds, heh switch subwoofers, $150 wouldn't hurt for a new sub+ custom box right =D

alphalanos
05-17-2004, 10:59 PM
thats not bad.. just put a rockford punch z 12 in my car with a bandpass for like 200...including amp tho.. one other thing: i hope Alpine lowered the response on the type R, bc my friends old ones just didnt grab those lows very well. they had insane SPL, but they didnt rumble. dont get me wrong tho they slam. but i like the lows.

aznxthuggie
05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
well right now im about to spend $340 total on everything
$120 12' type r
$20 1 cubic foot sealed box
$200 MRD-M301 350rms digital amp
(the absolute lowest price i could find it for)

it should sound pretty clear
not really loud, but i just need something to fill in the bass
i might just buy the type S and a 1.25 cubic foot vented box, to see how the type s sounds like

Add your comment to this topic!