Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Jeep - need help with

monzonc
05-17-2004, 08:49 PM
It appears that I cant fully make a turn with this - I turn the wheel all of the way to the right or left and the wheels do not seem to turn - They appar to drag instad. I need to make almost a very wide turn - becuas of this.

Any of you have any ideas?

thanks in advance

monzonc@verizon.net

Moab Man
05-19-2004, 01:18 AM
It sounds like you have a locker in the front end assuming that's where the dragging is coming from. Can you describe it a little more?

monzonc
05-19-2004, 12:41 PM
It sounds like you have a locker in the front end assuming that's where the dragging is coming from. Can you describe it a little more?

When i turn the stering wheel all of the way to the right or left - I can tell that Im not doing a smooth turn.. My steering wheel start to jerk a bit.. it shakes.. I have ask someone to look at my whhel whil Im doing a turn. And i was told that the whell is not fully rotating - it looks like its being push..

When making any kind of turn - I need to do a really wide turn becuase it is the only way that I can make the turn left or right..

I hope that this enough information..

and thank you for the respond and trying to help me out here with this problem.

Carlos

IslandHopper
05-23-2004, 09:54 PM
This is SUPPOSED to happen when you are in 4WD...

The front and rear axles are mechanically locked together... when you are turning, the front wheels follow a longer turning radius than the rear wheels and must therefore spin faster ... since they can't spin faster, either the rear wheels will spin, or the front wheels will skid.

That is why you should use only 2WD when driving a jeep on pavement. 4WD should only be used on "loose" or "slippery" surfaces.

(This will also happen between the left and right wheels if you have "locker" differentials.)

Moab Man
05-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Monzonc you're not driving in 4WD are you?

Seneb
05-25-2004, 02:26 PM
hmm... i was going to ask the same question...

monzonc
06-15-2004, 12:53 PM
This is SUPPOSED to happen when you are in 4WD...

The front and rear axles are mechanically locked together... when you are turning, the front wheels follow a longer turning radius than the rear wheels and must therefore spin faster ... since they can't spin faster, either the rear wheels will spin, or the front wheels will skid.

That is why you should use only 2WD when driving a jeep on pavement. 4WD should only be used on "loose" or "slippery" surfaces.

(This will also happen between the left and right wheels if you have "locker" differentials.)

Well I have on 2WD... I just cant figure out why that is happeneing.. Sorry for taking so long to read and reply back. And again thanks for all of the help.

Add your comment to this topic!