What Turbocharger is used on Syclone?

mildred03
05-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey again, been doin some research on the Syclone and Typhoon engines, I've decided to just install a turbocharger and intercooler on my 03 ZRX, now it's just a matter of finding them, any leads would help!

Metradyne
05-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Mach performance has a turbo kit for the 4.3 V-6. Not cheap, but it's the only kit for these trucks I know of.

www.machperformance.com

turbodog
05-21-2004, 09:38 AM
They have a Mitsubishi TD06-17G. Some things to consider:
- Syclone/Typhoon (SyTy) engines have lower mechanical compression (8.35:1) eutectic pistons and nodular iron main bearing caps. Putting 14.7 PSI to a stock 4.3 will frag it in short order (several SyTy owners found this out when dealers replaced their engines with generic 4.3 short blocks).

- You need the ECU for a SyTy (or turbo sunbird) as well

- you can generally find parts for sale at www.syty.net

Metradyne
05-21-2004, 06:01 PM
They have a Mitsubishi TD06-17G. Some things to consider:
- Syclone/Typhoon (SyTy) engines have lower mechanical compression (8.35:1) eutectic pistons and nodular iron main bearing caps. Putting 14.7 PSI to a stock 4.3 will frag it in short order (several SyTy owners found this out when dealers replaced their engines with generic 4.3 short blocks).

- You need the ECU for a SyTy (or turbo sunbird) as well

- you can generally find parts for sale at www.syty.net

I imagine there'd be tons of retrofitting to do if you put a Syclone turbo on a 03 Sonoma. Best kit for 96+ S-Series is the one by Mach Performance. The kit is made to work with stock 4.3L internals.

turbodog
05-24-2004, 09:01 AM
You're right. The SyTy intake won't fit on vortec heads without substantial modification to both the intake and the heads. Many folks have done it, and there is at least one guy (go to syty.net and search username jwaller) who does it 'for hire'. It ain't cheap. So, you're looking at pistons, rods (stockers are weak link in SyTys), 4-bolt conversion, intake and head mods, ECU and wiring, tranny controller if you're running a 4L60E. I tend to agree with Metradyne.

mildred03
05-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks Metradyne and turbodog, I appreciate the replies and am still considering the project except I wasn't realizing the depth of the build-up; (this is definitely something for a professional and experienced mechanic to work on since i'm only able to work on bolt-ons and have lack of tools) Definitely will keep you posted and again, thanks for the suggestions.

metallica21156
12-12-2004, 09:40 PM
how much moding would i have to do to a 95 blazer with the 4.3l. i'm thinking of switching it out and i don't know if i should put a 350 in to a turbo charged 4.3l. from a typhoon. the entire motor with intercooler. can it be done and whats the price?

SHAWNEXLEY
12-25-2004, 08:45 PM
how much are you willing to spend a stock 350 is a direct bolt in if youre interested there is a place here in tampa that builds 350 turbo charged engine pushing about 850 horeses

metallica21156
12-26-2004, 07:27 AM
it was more for future reference. i plan to put a stock in and later on up grade to turbo.

Add your comment to this topic!