Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Plus-sizing the wheels of my 2001 tahoe to 17"

flawrence1
05-17-2004, 01:59 PM
My stock new body 2001 tahoe has the 16" rims you see everywhere. I'm considering buying stock 17" take-offs from a newer tahoe or avalanche. Does anyone foresee problems arrising from a difference in wheel offset, increased weight, or the increased diameter? I read in one topic that the transmission shifts based on data from the speedometer, which relies on a given tire diameter. Do the 17" avalanche rims have the same specs and offset as my 16" OE rims (other than the diameter), so that I could just slap them on and be good to go?

thanks

95tahoe4x4
05-17-2004, 06:11 PM
I sure if you were to call a tire dealer, act like you are interested in buying some from them, and ask them the same questions. I do know they make computers so that when you adjust the tire size, your ecm will adjust with them. Keep it relatively close, if you now have the 16" wheels with the 70 series tires, just make sure that the 17" wheels have the 60 series tires.

flawrence1
05-18-2004, 07:27 AM
it looks like the 17" rims come with the 70 series pretty standard, and my 16" are also 70 series. trouble maybe? i'll have to try calling a dealer, or maybe even the old dealership will be honest

gurrzt
05-18-2004, 07:34 AM
It all depends on the tire diameter in inches, remember the PCM uses the MAF & the speedometer readings to properly shift the vehicle.

andjh123
05-19-2004, 10:13 AM
I increased the overall diameter of my wheels/tires by almost 6 inches with no real problems in stock settings of the automatic transmission shifting. After buying a programmer to account for the larger tire diameter in the computer (rpm shift points/speedometer/odometer etc.), I noticed a very little difference in shifting behavior and only about 1/2 mpg increase in mileage. So I would say not to worry about only going up an inch in diamter--if you end up having to do so.

djmann02
06-18-2005, 08:18 AM
If you go with a 17" rim, the closest match to overall diameter would be a 265/65/17. You are talking only .04" difference between that size and your OEM 265/70/16. Hope this helps. But I am curious as well in regards to the computer callibration. The 265/70/17's on the newer models are a good 1.1" taller in diameter than ours 16" series. I wonder what, if anything, GM is doing to their computers to adjust this?

flawrence1
06-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Sorry this has taken so long, if anyone is still interested. I got the 17" stock wheels as take-offs from an Avalanche, along with the original Goodyear tires. The seller (from e bay) was pretty knowledgeable in filling me in on the specs and match-up, and assured me that the swap would be painless and easy. They were right. I've had them on for over a year (I think) and they run perfectly and look 100 times better than the stock 16" tahoe wheels. No one else has a Tahoe with avalanche wheels, so it looks quite uniquie, even better than the stock Z71 rims, in my opinion. They arrived inflated and ballanced so I could swap them myself, and cost about the same as 4 new tires mounted, alone, without the rims.

No computer change was necessary, and my odometer is off perhaps a mph or 2 at speeds of about 65 mph. Shifting is fine. There's definitely a benefit to all those people buying 20's and 22's....cheap take-offs.

djmann02
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
If you don't mind me asking flawrence, what did you pay for shipping and handling off of e-bay? I am considering going to the 17's myself and I am seeing different standard ship rates from different ppl. Any information would be most helpful.

Add your comment to this topic!