Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 Rear Window and Hinge

A. Amendola
05-17-2004, 09:34 AM
I currently own a 2001 Yukon. Over this past weekend I noticed the rear window hinge has become detached from the rear window. Looking at the window I dont understand how the hinge and glass mate together. There seem to be no screws and the material looks like plastic. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their rear window? To make things worse the vehicle just went off full factory warranty last month :banghead:

Eggert
05-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi,
I am sure that it is glued.
Have you tried an auto glass place?
You may lose the whole thing soon...
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

Tony Denali
05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey man! I just had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday!! I went to open the rear hatch and heard a pop. After further inspection, the right side bracket came loose from the window exactly like you stated. There is no glue in there (at least from what I can see).....open the hatch and you can get a good look at it. Its some sort of high density rubber or plastic thats molded on and thats what broke on mine. IVe got an extended warranty but the dealer is trying to tell me they dont cover glass. I told him "hey, the glass was just fine, its the damn bracket that gave way". He goes on with yeah, I know.....but thats what their going to say....

Have you had it priced yet? The only way to fix it according to the dealer was a whole new glass assembly.

Eggert
05-19-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi,
that is what I meant. It is some sort of stuff bonding the hinge to the glass.
I am sure that the dealer wants to sell you an new glass assembly, and for him, the bracket is part of that.
He can not sell you the bracket by itself.
So you probably will be out of luck.
I still would try an auto glass place. They may / may not be able to fix it.
Take care and keep us posted. Eggert :bananasmi

Tony Denali
05-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Well, it turned out that my extended warranty only covered electrical and drivetrain issues. To make this short......~725 bucks later im driving down the road with a new rear glass. :mad:

Vroom2
05-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Oof. I wish I had known. I have the stock rear glass & center brake light from my '03 Denali for sale to the first bidder. I upgraded to the Escalade unit and have had no luck selling my old one.

I know....timing is everything. Sorry to hear about the $$ layout.

Take care,
Jerry

Tony Denali
05-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Ahhhhh, crap....Could have saved myself some cash. Whats the difference between the Escalades and the Denalis? You must have paid a pretty penny for that?

Eggert
05-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Tony, I think Vroom2 has a post about his mods to a Yukon (non Denali), which include putting some Denali hardware on: rear vent covers, rear liftgate with the wide 3rd brake light, roof rack.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

Vroom2
05-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Must be another Vroom2. I do have a Denali. The Escalade rear glass/brake light was $470. Please feel free to check out my pics at the link below.

Take care,
Jerry

dacarter
07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
I just had this problem with my rear glass and this is the only thread I could find on this forum about it. My brother has an '01 Yukon too, and he also had the same problem. Anyone else have any additional info on it. I guess I was hoping the GM might take care of it out of warranty if it was common enough.

kudzufla
08-01-2005, 07:48 AM
My 03 XL has the same problem. Am trying to keep the glass part of the door closed. Wonder if the window latch can be disabled.

Sealander
08-02-2005, 06:57 AM
This happened to my 2000 Yukon with 100,000 miles on it last summer. The plastic band holding the right hinge to the glass came loose from the glass. I bought some JB Weld two part epoxy to fix it. I removed the glass from the vehicle (not too difficult actually) and laid it down on a drop cloth. Mixed up the epoxy and peeled the plastic up as much as possible to work the epoxy in between the glass and the plastic and let it dry. That was a year ago and it has held fine. Sure a lot cheaper than a new glass.

Steven

JoCool_35
08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
this has turned into a real problem for others too. Several of the GM name plates are having the same trouble. I own a '03 Yukon XL and the right side hinge just popped off. From most of the other posts, it seems to be only the right side for some reason. I have over 50,000 miles, but after some unrelenting calls to GMC, it was fixed under warranty.

dacarter
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Update:

I decided to call GMC customer service to ask for "goodwill" coverage of this issue which is obviously a defect. They opened a case# and asked me to take it to a dealership for diagnosis. Took it in yesterday, the dealer got with the area rep, and the answer was it would be covered at no cost. (I'm way out of warranty with 65k miles and no extended warranty).

I decided to also ask for the new intermediate steering shaft I had heard about that doesn't have to be re-lubed every 20k miles too, and they said yes to that as well!

So GMC has really taken care of me on this. Everyone with the problem should as for free replacement.

stucky
09-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Same thing happened to my 2001 chevy tahoe and same side was affected right hinge came off for no apparent reason and they want $700 for a new one seems it is a faulty part and we should ride GM and Chevy's butts to do a quality assurance recall for their defective parts, my tahoe has only 70000 miles on it and i never open the rear window!

dacarter
09-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Call GM. They will open a case# and tell you to take it to the dealer. It was painless and quick for me. My brother just did the same thing on his 01 Yukon. Good luck.

BOWTYE8
12-24-2005, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the update. I own a 2000 Tahoe. Going to give GM after Christmas.
I opened my rear hatch heard the pop and my left hinge came loose...arghhhh
Best local price I found is $550.00. Hopefully GM will just take care of this.

YukonGMC
12-24-2005, 09:36 AM
If I had this problem and no chance of GM covering the cost, I'd go with the Escalade glass and 3rd brake light combo. Looks much better. JPCustoms has it for about $650. I've got the Escalade vent caps for sale. $140. Will fit a '00 and up Yukon, Tahoe, XL, 'Burb. Looks better than the louvered stock ones.

Escalade 3rd Brake Light Kit with Glass (http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16646&cat=698&page=1)

Add your comment to this topic!