Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Yukon Check Tire Pressure after new tires ?

t56ss
05-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I just put new tires on my 2004 Yukon ( didn't like the OEM Firestones ). I put the exact same size tire on. 265 x 70 x 16, Bridgestone Dueler HL's.

The display can be 'reset', but the lamp on the instrument panel stays on. Very irritating if I'm going to have to take this back to the dealer already.

Thanks.

Eggert
05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi,
this is a stab in the dark.
I think that you have tire pressure sensors glued to the rims.
Could they have been removed?
I would go back to the tire place and ask them to fix whatever they screwed up.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

GMCTech
05-18-2004, 05:34 AM
If you have the tire monitor system, it will need to be reset.

The process takes a few minutes to do, and a little longer to explain, if you need the directions let me know, I don't have enough time this morning to go through the whole thing.

Let me know.

t56ss
05-19-2004, 06:03 AM
GMCTech,

Thanks for the offer of the directions. The fine techs at my dealership printed it out for me, and it works. I have regurgitated it below. :D

Eggert, the sensor is part of the valve stem. A little blue plastic encapsulated module ( growth ) :D at the end of the stem, inside the rim. The stem is held in with a 13mm nut now. The sensor can't weigh more than a 1/2 ounce. Pretty cool little bugger.

Yes, Firestone knocked out one of the tire sensors while mounting the tire. GMC provided a new one for $71 including tax. Not a nice price, oh well. The Firestone/Bridgestone dealer paid me for it in cash. I like these guys....

Here is the procedure for putting the system into 'Tire Pressure Sensor Learn Mode'.

Basically each tire has a separate transmitter that is known to the BCM, and if you change its position by rotating tires , they all have to be 'resynced' so the BCM knows which tire is where. This will need to be redone after rotating tires too. Nice.

So....

Important: Before proceeding, ensure that no other sensor learn procedures are being performed, or that tires pressures are not being adjusted on a TPM vehicle within close proximity. ( I swear, this is in the procedure! )

1. IGN ON / Engine Off

2. Parking Brake ON ( or it won't work!! )

3. Enable the Learn mode by:

a. Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times
in 4 seconds, then leave it ON.

b. The horn should double chirp, and the low pressure
indicator on the dash should begin to flash.

NOTE: If the learn mode cannot be entered, make sure it is ENABLED in the PDM ( Passenger Door Module ) ( so... is this where we look to disable this nice feature ? )

4. Starting at the left front tire, increase or decrease the tire
pressure until you get a horn chirp ( BCM is acknowledging the LF
tire sender ) This usually takes 8-10 seconds, maybe less, maybe
up to 30.

5. Repeat this for the other tires, following the sequence of:

RIGHT FRONT
RIGHT REAR
LEFT REAR

6. At this point the BCM should now know which tire is where,

7. Exit the "Learn Mode" by turning off the ignition.

NOTE: The BDM will exit the learn mode if more than 2 mintues passes without a new tire being learned. So hussle out there!!

You can now reinflate to the desired pressure ( check the door sticker ),
then turn the ignition back on, start it up and all should be fine.

The BCM measures pressures in all tires once every 20 seconds. If
there is a difference of more than 1.6 psi from the last reading, the
BCM will set the light.

Fun huh ? The Bridgestone guy must have also switched some rims around.

Hope this helps someone in the future. It needs to be in the owners manual since most of us rotate our own tires ( I would think ).

Gerry-
Norfolk, VA

t56ss
05-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of this bugger. Weighs in at all of maybe 3/4 of an ounce.

http://members.cox.net/13secss/tpm_1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/13secss/tpm_2.jpg

Gerry-

Tony Denali
05-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Nice post and good info :)

t56ss
05-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Tony,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a heavy participant on the ImpalaSS Forum and we like DETAILS over there. :D

Maybe GM needs to send this out as an addendum to the owners manual. Its going to bite them back if they don't. I understand the rush to market of the tire pressure monitoring, its required by Federal law very soon. But the owners need to know how this works. The GMC service tech was pretty incredulous about this oversight on GM's part.

-Gerry

Tony Denali
05-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Ahhhh, a fellow LT1 fan :D

I had a 97 TA and was a decent participant over at the camaroz28.com forum for years......that is, until I bought my Denali. Cant beat those LT1's :D

tonytone
05-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Maybe GM needs to send this out as an addendum to the owners manual. Its going to bite them back if they don't. I understand the rush to market of the tire pressure monitoring, its required by Federal law very soon. But the owners need to know how this works. The GMC service tech was pretty incredulous about this oversight on GM's part.

-Gerry
Hmmm, when did you buy your '04? I bought my '04 in December 2003, and the owner's manual that came with my truck had the instructions on reprogramming the tire pressure sensors...

attackdog
08-30-2004, 07:10 PM
How do you know if your vehicle is equipped with the tire monitor system? Thanks.

tonytone
08-31-2004, 06:21 PM
How do you know if your vehicle is equipped with the tire monitor system? Thanks.
I could be wrong here, but don't all '04 GM fullsize SUVs (Tahoe/Yukon/Denali/Suburban/Escalade) come with the tire pressure monitoring system as standard (this was introduced to the GM fullsize SUV line just this model year)?

rzkz8k
09-01-2004, 08:46 AM
tonytone, you are correct.

BTY, the reset procedure for the tire monitoring system is clearly detailed in my owner's manual, 2004 YXL.

rzkz8k
09-01-2004, 08:51 AM

The RPO for the tire monitoring system is UJ6.

Add your comment to this topic!