Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is drifting and drag racing?

DRIV3R
05-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Ok this may sound really stupid and im a newbie but seriously, what is drifting and drag racing? I hear people on the GT3 forum mention it lots but i have no idea what they are. can sum1 explain?

gigglesnirt
05-16-2004, 05:21 PM
you dont know wut drag racing is? thats just kinda wierd, but drifting i can understand if ya dont know, its when coming up to a turn, you brake as much as neccessary, then shift to aboot, 2-3 depedning on car and turn, then it should slide if your car settings are correct and wutever, you just have to control that for as long, or as short as you want. ask other people im not to good at explaining, just doing

Howielong
05-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Yes giiglesnirt said it all. He is a drifter at heart. Check my sig for some drifting. Not real cars but close and it gives you what it is all about.

SynikalFan
05-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Drifting is its own sport for goddness sake. Its the ability to make ur car slide horizontal around corners of race tracks. problem is its more for show, because you'll gain a couple of seconds if ur racing

slyguy
05-19-2004, 07:34 AM
If you want to see some real drifting, ya gotta go to japan and check out the rizzle dizzle. Fo shizzle.:nutkick:

driftu
05-23-2004, 06:41 PM
drifting if done right is as fast if not faster then a grip style. drift is alot more fine and requires more control over the throttle. each have their place in the racing world. haipins are made for teh drift and long sweeping double appex corners are better to grip. either way it all about getting that rush, even if it is just in a game

xyfalconsrock
05-25-2004, 05:29 AM
I suggest taking off traction control but leaving anti-skid on.then get urself a high torque car(cobra,mustang)then it's easy just lead into a cornor and about halfway around the corner and floor it.The car should lurch out and the car will get sideways.its the best fun!

Chris240
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
drifting if done right is as fast if not faster then a grip style.

no it's not

driftu
05-25-2004, 05:31 PM
no it's not

i wish i had a chance to make you eat those words but since gt3 isn't online we can't test your statement.

MarioSpaghetti
05-26-2004, 11:22 PM
What's the big deal about drifting? I've done that for 20 years driving at the local dirt track. But it does look like fun. Unlike dirt, on asphalt, tires have a very narrow slip angle. Once you break loose, that end of the car has very little traction. you must keep the rear tires spinning to keep opposite lock, but you have to use front brakes to keep the car from accelerating. Kinda against everything we've learned.

On a tacky dirt track you can use a huge slip angle because the tire works "in" the surface, not on it.

pre98zetec
05-27-2004, 12:00 AM
i wish i had a chance to make you eat those words but since gt3 isn't online we can't test your statement.There is no way in hell you can go around a corner drifting and still be as fast as someone keeping traction. :loser:

the fat kid
05-27-2004, 10:18 PM
i have gotten faster lap times while drifting you know, you just cant do show off style drifting, and of course not do it on all turns

driftu
05-27-2004, 10:44 PM
at last some one who understands you get faster times with a mix of both grip and drift. but drift has so much more stlye to. if your gonna win make it look good

MarioSpaghetti
05-28-2004, 06:53 AM
You guys must be playing a different game. Traction decreases dramaticaly after the slip angle has been exceeded. You achieve the maximum lateral acceleration when all 4 tires do equal work. Except for rally, GT3 designers got it pretty close. Do you have examples of tracks / times, or are you just talking in generalities.

I'm not knocking drifting. I would like to try it with my race car on asphalt, but I have a mini-clutch that would fry and a left turn oil pan that would burn the motor up on the first hard right turn. But drifting is not about speed, it is about style only.

the fat kid
05-28-2004, 04:22 PM
its the swame game, i dont know how, but certain turns you can get faster lap times, i just drive i dont know the science behiond it, if it were not faster in some turns why would they use it sometimes in the JGTC?

driftu
05-30-2004, 03:40 AM
oh it is the same game. the thing to remember is that y the man behinsd the wheel is driftu making the fastest laps you have ever seen. all fear the style and speed of the great driftu!!!!!!

pre98zetec
05-30-2004, 03:29 PM
God, you act like your the best.. make a vid of yourself and a bet i can top your time without drifting.

driftu
05-30-2004, 05:26 PM
sure anything you say buddy. it is real easy to say you can bet my times but harder to do.

under 1:20 at deep forest in a 280hp mr2 g-limited
just a touch over 1:25 ss5 in the N\A hachi roku turning a mere 250hp

and don't make me mention my RUF RGT

bhoke
06-03-2004, 05:40 PM
No one answered what drag racing is so I will. Drag racing is simply liner acceleration over a measured distance usually, a quarter mile. Main factors are reaction time, horsepower, and grip. On the subject of drift, I have never seen CART, IRL, or Stock type racecars execute a drift with out losing speed and momentum on the track- road or otherwise.

bhoke
06-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Dirt being the exception. IMCA mods ETC.

driftu
06-05-2004, 07:47 PM
No one answered what drag racing is so I will. Drag racing is simply liner acceleration over a measured distance usually, a quarter mile. Main factors are reaction time, horsepower, and grip. On the subject of drift, I have never seen CART, IRL, or Stock type racecars execute a drift with out losing speed and momentum on the track- road or otherwise.

they have to much traction and way to much down force.

AErrorist
06-06-2004, 12:13 PM
I love drifting, its alot of fun to watch, but its not a terribly practical form of racing, expecially for more than a few laps. What I'm suprised no one brought up is tire wear. Its even more exaggerated in GT3, but in real like tire wear is a big factor. Sure you can mix drift and grip but sooner rather than later in the race when you tires are burnt up and to try and grip that corner and understeer into a barrier I'll make sure to laugh at you as my tires chill in there optimal temperture/wear zone.

driftu
06-10-2004, 03:36 AM
how any laps do you get out of your tires. i get at least 15, drifting the whole way. if your tires don't seem to last maybe you should switch to super slicks.

GTOmologato
06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
I think theres something on the internet, called google?

gigglesnirt
06-11-2004, 07:37 PM

yeah i heard of that place, supposedly you can search anything and find it on the net.......

yeah i get about 15-ish laps or something like that out of my tires when drifting, but of course when i do show drifting and hang the back end out for a while, it drops dramatically

driftu
06-12-2004, 07:51 AM

you make less sense then usual.

GTOmologato
06-12-2004, 04:01 PM
you make less sense then usual.

I'm kinda sick of actually being the intelligent one giving answers. Yet, I've obviously found out 97.2% of the entire GT3 board here at AF are speed wanters instead of grip racers. I really everyone to grip race, thats what GT3 is really about.

driftu
06-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm kinda sick of actually being the intelligent one giving answers. Yet, I've obviously found out 97.2% of the entire GT3 board here at AF are speed wanters instead of grip racers. I really everyone to grip race, thats what GT3 is really about.

first off i wouldn't say that. you just don't want to listen to any one else. second gt3 is about having fun. not grip or drift. you can do what ever you want makes no difference to me and it shouldn't you.

GTOmologato
06-12-2004, 06:47 PM
first off i wouldn't say that. you just don't want to listen to any one else. second gt3 is about having fun. not grip or drift. you can do what ever you want makes no difference to me and it shouldn't you.

I'll listen, Just everyone has to be a moron. I'm not gonna try and hurt peoples feeling or anything. But GT3 is about fun. But I bet almost everyone here has used a F1 in almost every race in the game just to beat the game quicker. Whereas, A stock car is the way to go. ( Hence the PD Cup. )

Silviadrifter
06-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Here is a good example of "Drifting":

This first one is all "AWD Exhibition Drifting", and showcases the no countersteer drifting style.

http://idm.lsdrift.com/Silviadrifter%20-%20Countersteer%20Zero%20Large.wmv

This one is a vid I put together for a GTP elite drift team, called "Monkey Factory", it features myself and "Battle Stage".

http://idm.lsdrift.com/monkey%20factory%20small.wmv

Ok, now to the part about drift being faster than grip......

Drifting is and will never be faster than grip....Period.... Now there is an advanced grip racing technique called a "Four Wheel Drift", which utilizes a very slight slip angle to achieve the maximum amount of grip from the tires, as well as setting the car up for a fast exit speed. This is not to be confused with "4WD/AWD Drifting", or even drifting at all. The fact that you have a deminished traction coeficient when you are drifting, makes it impossible to achieve better lap times, then an equally skilled grip driver....

I have and always will be a grip driver, but I love drifting because it teaches you how to control a car at, and past the limits of adhesion.... This ultimately makes you a better grip driver, in my opinion.....

;)

NSX
06-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Has it ever occured to you why formula 1 cars [essentially the quickest & most corner oriented series] are setup to grip race instead of drift?

MarioSpaghetti
06-13-2004, 09:51 AM
SilviaDrifter, I really like the video. You are obviously at a higher level. I'm at 100% and I would like to try drifting. I'm obviously pretty decent in the rally races but I really don't know where to start on tarmac. Can you give me some starter setups for cars and tracks? I noticed in the Arcade section there is a choice for drifting. Is that what you are doing?
Mike

gigglesnirt
06-13-2004, 10:21 AM
no that option for drifting doesn't help you if you want to actually drift like in the videos, you will want to make your own car and set it up, srry i dont wanna steal silviadrifter's quetion so i'll let him do the rest.........

Silviadrifter
06-13-2004, 01:30 PM
If you want to learn how to drift well, you need to learn (and understand) drift techniques:

http://www.driftclub.com/techniques.htm

That's just a basic outline on the most popular drift techniques....

The best way to start drifting is to take a stock car, throw some sim tires on (PD put them in the game for drifting), and practice practice practice. Keep doing laps until you feel comfortable with it. This teaches you good technique, because you can't use the power to start a drift with a low power car, you have to use good technique... Only after you have become comfortable with the techniques, should you start adding HP, Suspension, etc.....

When you do start upgrading, there are some simple "rules of thumb" that will help:

Spring rates: front tighter than the rear (I usually use a spring rate of around 12.0, 9.0)
Brake balance: rear biased (I usually set it at around 13, 24)
Camber angle: front, about 1 to 2 degrees greater angle than the rear (I usually set it up from 3.0, 1.5 - 4.5, 2.5)
Stabilizers: I usually set them to 1, because they are counterproductive for drifting (in GT3)

Also, you need to remember that drifting a FR car is very different than drifting an AWD car. With FR you need to use:

Throttle control
Countersteer control
braking control

With AWD it's a simplified process, but is still challenging. With AWD you need to use:

Full throttle
Braking (foot brake, and E-brake)

If anyone has anymore questions, just ask.....

;)

MarioSpaghetti
06-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks. I think I do understand drifting. In my younger days (late 60s and early 70s), I used to be the king of the parking brake with my bug-eye Sprite. I could do a parking brake turn between rows of cars just a little wider than the length of my car.

I use a brake balance bar on my dirt track car (I've run approximately 400 race nights in my career with 65 wins, 5 track championships and 5 runnerup finishes). I've also given 3 dirt track chassis seminars that had at least 50 guys show up to listen. Finished second in the A feature last night at age 57. Not bragging, just explaining that I do understand the dynamics of drifting. I just need a little help with the techniques of GT3. Do you set the AYC and traction control to 0? I hadn't thought about the Sim tires. That might be the answer I was overlooking. In real life, real racing tires (especially radials) have a very narrow slip angle and if you exceed that generate very littls bite. So if you exceed the "circle of traction" with the rear tires, there is a huge difference between the traction of the front and rear (which have not exceeded the "circle of traction") to the extent that it would seem very difficult to maintain a slide. The Sim tires probably accept a higher slip angle.

I'll have to try your setups. The only question I have is the stiffer front springs. In the real world, and in grip racing on GT3, you stiffen the rear to loosen the car up. But I'll try it. Thanks. You are the only one I've seen who seems to actually understand drifting on GT3.
Mike

Silviadrifter
06-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks. I think I do understand drifting. In my younger days (late 60s and early 70s), I used to be the king of the parking brake with my bug-eye Sprite. I could do a parking brake turn between rows of cars just a little wider than the length of my car.

I use a brake balance bar on my dirt track car (I've run approximately 400 race nights in my career with 65 wins, 5 track championships and 5 runnerup finishes). I've also given 3 dirt track chassis seminars that had at least 50 guys show up to listen. Finished second in the A feature last night at age 57. Not bragging, just explaining that I do understand the dynamics of drifting. I just need a little help with the techniques of GT3. Do you set the AYC and traction control to 0? I hadn't thought about the Sim tires. That might be the answer I was overlooking. In real life, real racing tires (especially radials) have a very narrow slip angle and if you exceed that generate very littls bite. So if you exceed the "circle of traction" with the rear tires, there is a huge difference between the traction of the front and rear (which have not exceeded the "circle of traction") to the extent that it would seem very difficult to maintain a slide. The Sim tires probably accept a higher slip angle.

I'll have to try your setups. The only question I have is the stiffer front springs. In the real world, and in grip racing on GT3, you stiffen the rear to loosen the car up. But I'll try it. Thanks. You are the only one I've seen who seems to actually understand drifting on GT3.
MikeOh, well I'm glad to see an intelligent racing enthusiast on these boards..... Sim tires not only have less grip then normal tires, but also change the physics a bit, to make for more realistic control.... However, Drifting can be done, in GT3, with any tire, you just need to match the HP with the tire, in a natural progression.... For example:

stock to 300hp = Sims
350hp to 500hp = Normals or Sports

Anything above that use racing tires, like for example, a 900hp Supra on super soft tires..... However, I still prefer low HP with sims, as it feels the most realistic, and gives me the most enjoyment.....

As for the physics in GT3...... Real life settings and tuning transfers quite well to the game. PD have done a great job of making a realistic driving simulator, and I have learned everything I know from real life tuning/technique/settings......

About the spring rates..... With drifting, you tighten the front springs more than the rear, for a few reasons...... one, it turns the front into a pivot point, so the rear can swing around that point..... As long as you use propper countersteer control (tracing the turn, only with RWD) this makes the car controllable...... Also, it makes the rear end a little less stable, making it easier to lose traction, and thus, begin the drift.....In real life, real racing tires (especially radials) have a very narrow slip angle and if you exceed that generate very littls bite. So if you exceed the "circle of traction" with the rear tires, there is a huge difference between the traction of the front and rear (which have not exceeded the "circle of traction") to the extent that it would seem very difficult to maintain a slide. The Sim tires probably accept a higher slip angle.
You have to remember that when drifting RWD vehicles, you want the front tires to have as much traction as possible, because they are controlling the direction of the vehicle, in a drift..... The rear wheels control the speed and angle...... This does not apply as much to AWD drifting, because you do not need countersteer.... The front wheels (being powered) do the same job, that countersteering normally would, as you can see, in my "Countersteer Zero" video...... Furthermore, the sim tires do indeed accept a greater slip angle, because of the more realistic physics system, that they are programed with.....
I almost forgot... Always turn the TCS and ASM off, for obvious reasons..... As for the AYC, it can be adjusted to get rid of weeknesses in AWD vehicles, but I usually just buy a VCD, and adjust that.....

;)

gigglesnirt
06-14-2004, 11:38 PM
actually right when i get the car, i mod it like hell, and put every part i can on it, and then adjust the settings, i do tons of things tho, and every car i have handles different, and when i say different, i dont mean like every car is different in some way, these are like crazy, like with my chaser i use normal tires, with not throttle sim thingy, and no traction control, and torque all the way up, and its my favorite car at about 756 hp, or somethign like that, i also have a 180sx, which is pretty slow, butreally good drifter, and can hold up just like the chaser just not as fast through turns.....im babbling to much srry

Add your comment to this topic!