Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hood won't open. Help.

agoodguy
05-15-2004, 06:24 PM
92 Grand Am.
All of a sudden one day, my hood won't open. The cable is not broken.
I pull the cable all the way and the hood won't open.
My guess is that perhaps it's not tight enough.

Does anyone know if one can open the hood by using a tool or lever to pry the front of the hood open just enough to press the hood release?

mikewohlford
05-15-2004, 07:14 PM
My dads truck does the same thing. Try this: after pulling on the handle, slam the car door shut. Maybe the vibration of the slammed door will pop the hood up so you can get to the release lever at the latch. I dont know how to fix this problem though. Just a suggestion.

Slade901
05-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, have someone pull the hood release lever (keep it place in the pull position) while someone tries to raise the hood open. You won't have a nice grip but you can use a pry bar or large screwdriver to help pry up the hood.
OR
Try pushing down the hood and see if it springs up a bit.

agoodguy
05-15-2004, 10:41 PM
I got the hood open. I used a large garden tool which looked like a large screwdriver to lift the hood up about a 1/2 inch. I stuck another smaller screwdriver in to try to hit the latch. I don't think I hit the latch but something made it open to about 4 inches open. Then i was able to touch the actual lever and it wasn'tg working properly but after fiddling with it i got it open. At least I know from now on! whew.

Add your comment to this topic!