Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Temp Gauge

daicompacific
05-15-2004, 12:47 AM
I have a 93 Corsica 3.1 87000 mi, most of the time my temp gauge stays around the 1/4 mark, in town or the highway, but as soon as the temp outside warms to 70-75 the temp gauge will go up almost to the 3/4 mark in town, when I resume speed it cools off again (even moving 60 feet brings it down) the coolant level is fine and I never have to add coolant, I've heard that corsicas have bad temp gauges, but how do you test it, it seems to me that most other cars i've driven the temp gauge stayed put but this one fluctuates, the car has never overheated and I can hear the fans come on when getting toward the 3/4 mark, I have noticed an oil leak from the lower intake gasket, could this have something to do with it? intake gaskets are another known problem with this engine, any information is appreciated.

broughy84
05-15-2004, 03:55 PM
is your cooling fan running when the temp goes up? It should. It sounds like a fan issue to me. You are putting around town and the temp goes up, but when you speed up the temp goes down.....yeah sounds like a fan issuew to me. Could be a bad sending switch, a relay, or bad fan motor.

corsifreek
05-18-2004, 05:01 PM
i have the same prob with my 92 3.1... i have installed a cold air intake that helped a little bit. i have also flushed my radiator and ran a sealant through it. it has improved a little but it still reads hot once in a while. if you can figure nw thing out let me know

corsifreek
05-21-2004, 08:56 AM
i also just found out the my fan wasny turning on so i hooked it up to a toggle switch. when the temp reaches a little too high i flip it and it works. there must be something wrong with the sensor. ill look into it and let you know.

Add your comment to this topic!