Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

front end noise in my 2001 grand am gt

jeramo30
05-14-2004, 11:45 PM
I just bought my car with 36000 miles on it. got the extended warranty to im covered but im getting this noise that sounds like the pads on the front end. I brought it to the dealer and they said that its not the brakes but that its the tire and the factory rim causing the noise. They said it is a very common issue. Im gonna do the pads and i know the rotors are ok so well see.......any body got any ideas....im just curious!

fluffybunny
05-15-2004, 11:52 AM
is it a squeel or a clunk comming from your car?

jeramo30
05-15-2004, 09:54 PM
its sounds like grinding....it happens when i apply the brakes more often when im just driving....i think its the braked the dealership says that its the tires rubin on the rims.......it just sounds almost like a warped tire.....i think ill just replace the pads anyways....it just turned 37000 miles....its due.....i was just curious to see if anyone has ever herd of that....let me know what you think

Slade901
05-15-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't think the tires are rubbing on the rims. The tires and rims are together in one piece.
You can found out if the tires or rim is rubbing somewhere by removing it and inspecting it. You'll know if the either the tires or the rims is rubbing something because the area where either the tires or rims are rubbing will look like a shiny surface.

Sometimes, it is hard to see the condition of the inner pads without removing the caliper.
If the pads shows thin then go ahead and replace it. Spray some brake fluid cleaner.
Lube the sliders of the caliper and use some anti-rattle grease or anti-rattle spray on the back of the pads.

grfnkl
05-16-2004, 09:43 AM
My 2002 has the same noise, you only hear it at low speeds when coasting or slowing down. The dealer told me it was the factory tire rubbing on the rim. What stops the noise for a few days is having a tire rotation. after finally getting the dealer to hear the freakin noise they rotated the tires and the noise was gone.... only for about a week or 2 but it was gone.

fluffybunny
05-16-2004, 12:13 PM
im sorry but i cant imagine that while hitting the brakes youll hear the tire rubbing on the rim, and i dont think it would make a grinding noise anyhow, it would probably just blow out and fall off the rim.... i somehow managed to find a link directly to gm's service web page in my exploits to find a wiring diagram, and there is nothing posted abot tires rubbing on rims.....let alone feasible. im with the crowd, its probably your brakes.especially since it occurs when you hit the brakes. anyhow, grand am brakes suck cause the car weighs too much in the frnt and they probably should improve the rotors and calipers, but we can only hope. in the mean time suck up some warranty.........piece

grfnkl
05-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I had two different dealerships explain to me that the tire rubbing on the rim was a common problem also. The one dealer even went into details explaining that the beading of the tire was rubbing on the rim causing the noise, or something to that effect. They also told me the only way the noise would ever go away is if i got new tires on the car, cause apparently they were both telling me that there is a defect with the goodyear tires that cause this to happen. I can only assume that this is all true when you have two different people telling you the same thing.

The noise i would say is not a grinding noise.... it sounds more like someone took a scrubby pad and is rubbing it on the inside of a plastic bucket, but only on half of the bucket.. ( if that makes any sense) If someone is on the outside of the car, they won't hear the noise, all they hear is "squishy" noise coming from the tire... ( or at least on my car) from the inside of the car you hear the rubbing noise but only at speeds of 10 mph or less.

I feel that my struts are the cause of the "tire noise" since the noise started after my accident. a year and a half has gone by since this, and the dealer just realized that my strut was bad, ( even though they said they replaced it) and i've only heard the noise from that front wheel only so i think that a bad strut, was causing my tire to "rub improperly on the rim"

fluffybunny
05-16-2004, 04:53 PM
i still say thats pretty odd, ive seen a bulletin on sway bar bushings making rubbing noises, but nothing on the tire/rim... at least your not running on firestones.......

Add your comment to this topic!