Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

black wash

91p10nizmo
05-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi
Just wondering if someone could tell me how to do black washing?
Ive looked through the how to bit and no has done one.

thanks

grimmy
05-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Hi
Just wondering if someone could tell me how to do black washing?
Ive looked through the how to bit and no has done one.

thanks

I agree. as a n00b to the modeling world i would like to know how to do that.

i've heard it mentioned, but haven't seen anything on how to do it.

sugarfree
05-15-2004, 06:09 AM
this is a link of where i learn my skills (eventho not much yet, but yea... so far). he realy know what he's doin... for real! just check it out.

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial.asp?TutorialID=7&CurPage=1

Renegade
05-15-2004, 06:11 AM
sugarfree - great link! Check (and print :) ) all the tutorials.

slk320
05-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Blackwashing technique is a method of highlighting recessed or raised details by adding the effect of "shadows" on small parts. It is usually achieved through a highly thinned black or agrey paint being flowed into the recessed areas or around the raised areas.

Now days there is a product out there called "The Detailer" which is a pre-thinned black wash that you can just apply with a brush over the details to get good results.

As always with modeling, practice makes perfect.

sugarfree
05-15-2004, 09:10 PM
well... ive been reading the tutorial for maybe nearly 10times before i realy do the practise. hehehe. just need some time to gain my confidence, not to wreck my car n paint. hehehe.

spitfiremkxiv
05-20-2004, 05:16 AM
There are two ways of doing this depending on what you want to do the wash on.
(learned from many hours building aircraft models :screwy: )

Firstly if you want to run a dark wash into engine details or anything else that you want to draw the detail out of. You need to mix a very thin colour. Mix about 80% thinner to 20% paint. I use enamels for this as acrylics tend to hold the colour pigment in the surface so as your wash dries the paint pigment gets left on the outside of the area that is to be covered. Not what you want. (Am I making sense yet? :eek7: )

This very thin paint mix should be brushed onto your kit part, say the engine, it will fall into all the deep areas of the part and create a strong shadow effect as it dries. When you use the enamel paint the pigment will be left as the thinner evaporates thus pulling it down into the deep detail of the parts. This can be done several times to get that really dirty build up you see on working vehicles.

Secondly if you want to bring out he details in a panel line around a door or such you can run this thinned mixture into the panel line using a toothpick to pick it up. Tedious but tidy. The other option for this is to use a water colour splash it about on your model wait till it dries and then rub off the excess. This is ok but I find you end up rubbing the colour out of the panel line if you rub too hard. You also need to seal it as well.

Hope this helps some people. :smile:

sugarfree
05-20-2004, 04:37 PM
so... correct me if im wrong, i can use enamel wash mix on my acrylic base color paint???

_WIDE_LOAD_
05-20-2004, 11:48 PM
you can use both, but if you use acrylics you can just use water(or if you really want you CAN you acrylic thinners but i jsut use water).
another product that can be used for black washing is citadel 'black ink' used for painting games workshop wargames figures. its thin (you still have to thin is down with water more), and i use it and have never had a problem with it. so if you can get it...try it.
laters, WIDE

Asmenoth
05-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the citadel inks work well too and come in different colors...flesh wash, or chestnut, makes a good rust color...etc. It's also good for doing panel lines that don't stick out like a sore thumb, something a bit more subtle than black.

You could also try oil paints...same procedure as the others...mix balck and white oils together to make a neutral grey and thin down with oderless mineral spirits. Flow into the panellines and such, give the thinner about an hour or so to evaporate and wipe off the eccess with a clean tissue or cloth (careful not to scrub too hard). I just started to use this on my Hasegawa aircraft kits to a surprising success...surprised I haven't tried this before, being an art major and all.

:biggrin:

sugarfree
05-22-2004, 06:20 AM
mmm citadel paints.... im painting those things b4 i shift to model cars. ehhee. my bro playin the games, i paint the army... well, not all of them. but most of them. hehehe. luv that.
anyway... just my random comment.... :(

_WIDE_LOAD_
05-23-2004, 03:09 AM
oh, just a thought about the panel line comment. there are a multiude of ink colours available from citadel, try a blue ink on a blue car (jsut a thought:P) and see how it turns out.
sorry bout the bit of a hi jack there.
Laters, WIDE

spitfiremkxiv
05-23-2004, 07:07 PM
so... correct me if im wrong, i can use enamel wash mix on my acrylic base color paint???

Yes you can! This doesn't present a problem if the paint has dried properly. Be careful using large amounts of solvent though as it may attack the acrylic coat.

The point I was trying to make with doing a wash with acrylics is that the pigment gets trapped on the surface (by the surface tension) if you use water as a thinner. Therfore it will not bed down into the details aswell as an enamel paint.

Vric
05-23-2004, 08:12 PM
easiest way: Gundam Marker.

doucmehu
05-24-2004, 05:16 PM
so if I am using TS-8 lacquer spray, should I be using enamal or acrylic for my wash? thanks !!

_WIDE_LOAD_
05-25-2004, 12:58 AM
just a lil tip for doing washes with acrylic paint. try adding a drop or two of dishwashing liquid. it breaks the degrades the surface tensions allowing everything to settle in nicely.if you mix do washes by the bottle, DONT SHAKE TO MIX THE PIGMENT! its sort of obvious what happens to the mixture since it contains the washing up liquid
later all, WIDE

Add your comment to this topic!