Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Motor Wont Start

wrzaman
05-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I swapped out a blown 1997 2.2 for a 2001 2.2 and made what I thought were all the proper changes (intake & Exhaust Manifolds, 1 sensor for the fuel lines and the EGR/Air Warmer thing on the back of the head). The original wiring harness was used as well as the original ECU and everything plugged in properly. Now everything is back together and the key wont kick the starter over. When I turn the starter with a screwdriver the motor turns and i get spark as well as fuel pressure but I dont think the injectors are firing. The only possibility that i can see is the sensor on the transmission that shows shifter positioin and park/neutral safety. It was cracked slightly when removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated or confirmation that the trans sensor could cause these problems. I really dont know where else to look :banghead:

GMMerlin
05-15-2004, 06:40 AM
The trans position switch does provide power to the solenoid side of the starter relay.
Starter relay provides power to the starter solenoid.

wrzaman
05-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks, thats confirmation enough for me.

wrzaman
05-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Bought a new park/neutral/trans position sensor and now the motor starts by jumping the terminals where the starter relay is but when the brakes are hit the motor turns off and the brake lights are always on. Key still wont trigger the starter relay which is good.

Add your comment to this topic!