Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS Motor Pack

Justaboi1981
05-14-2004, 02:00 PM
A week ago my ABS light and Brake light came on. I took it to my mecanic and he look at it and did as much as he could do till it tech 1 something. He said we would have to take it to a dealer to have them run the codes. After take it to the dealer they said the ABS motor pack went out. My question being what is Motor Pack? I'm guessing its the motor that pumpes the brakes when you slam on them and they lock up it causes the pulsing to help you stop better? Could anyone explain that to me? My macanice said he pretty sure it wasn't the motor but it was short in the one of the wires and should only cost 150 ish at most but it turned out to be the motor pack at 502.00. Can anyone tell me what that means and if thats a fair price.. And what a motor pack is?

CarSuperfreak
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
umm....i have no idea. but my abs has never worked since i got my car (95 bonneville) and I havnt missed it. so long as your careful to pump the pedal in slippery conditions, you should be ok. is the $502 just for the part?! or installed? either way, if its on a higher mileage/older car, it may not be worth putting that much money into it

Justaboi1981
05-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Well If i expalined the part right to my macanice correctly. I told him it was the pulsating motor. He said he could do it everything parts and labor for 225-250. Thats if thats the right part i explained to him. And the 502 is the deal cost parts and labor.

Igovert500
05-14-2004, 02:27 PM
My advice, steer clear of the dealership, they are out to rape you financially in everything they do. That and for selling the cars, it is sometimes shocking how little they actually know about them. I would take the word of a competant mechanic any day. Also, you could take it to Autozone, they have free(i think) diagnostics they can run to read ECU codes and find out what is causing the error light.

I did a search in this forum for motor pack and this is the only relevant thread I found.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140541&highlight=motor+pack

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!