Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mods on a 95 se?

Allanon1313
05-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok i bought my car, its my first, with the intent on using it for just driving. But recently have become "car crazy" and want a moded car. I looked into it, and found theres not really a damn thing to mod on a grand am, that i found. Are there cheap ways to increase my hp, and make the exterior look better, without dishing out thousands for a new car? I thought of a wing on the back, might look cool? Any suggestions what i can do? what kinda parts to add, and so forth?

fluffybunny
05-14-2004, 11:20 AM
basic mod on any car would be to upgrade your suspension: new springs/coilover, new shocks, strut bars, sway bars.... to add hp, try easy mods like a cold air intake or short ram, exhaust manifold, billet pulleys, adjustable cam gears, NOS, wider throttle body, high flow cats, the list goes on and on. As far as external appearance, there are projector head lights, carbon fiber hoods, body kits that would have bumpers and side skirts, clear tail lights, black out kits, different corner lights, you can find just about and body part thats been modified: fenders, wheels, paint, neons, air shocks, what ever you wish. however id suggest that the trend is to looks and sound stock with massive hp under the hood. have fun with it.piece

CarSuperfreak
05-14-2004, 11:26 AM
if you really like the wing on the back, go for it, just stay away from the erector set ones.....however, you drive a FWD car, and will never get to any speeds at which a rear wing will do anything to help you. like fluffbunny said, suspension is something you will notice from day to day, and HP increase can be found in simple tune-up things...but using performance parts. ignition (wires/plugs), air (air filter, cold air), etc

fluffybunny
05-14-2004, 11:31 AM
ya know though ive never noticed any gains off of performance plugs..... i run the old acdelco plugs that are put in the car and thats all my car likes. kinda odd but i save a little in the bank

CarSuperfreak
05-14-2004, 11:40 AM
I can't recount any whiplash-causing differences in my plugs either :p

but there are those who swear by them.... :dunno:

fluffybunny
05-14-2004, 12:40 PM
ya know i usually start missing a little with upgraded plugs. and honestly id think a higher output ignition would do better than plugs

macbunch
05-14-2004, 01:49 PM
I agree with you guys about the plugs. I put bosch platnums in my 97 3.1 and 6 months later I developed a skip, come to find out the electrode fell out of one of the bosch plugs! so now I just run ac delco with no noticable differance - well accept the electrodes don't fall out.

CarSuperfreak
05-14-2004, 01:52 PM
but wait?! isnt newer always better? :disappoin

how in the world did you get the electrode out of the combustion chamber? :eek7:

macbunch
05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
If you've ever seen the bosch plugs the electrode is a very small piece of wire encased in porcelin, I guess that it just came out through the exhaust valve the car has been running fine now for a year scince it happened

Allanon1313
05-15-2004, 01:12 PM
I thought about adding alot of what fluffybunny suggested. But honestly will it make a really noticable difference in a grand am? I mean its not the most powerful car to start with, and i want to be able to race a few of my friends cars, celicas, civics, and such.

Second, will these parts fit in my car? There doesn't seem to be much room under there. I don't know much about cars, as far as installation and what brand is best stuff. I looked like crazy to find a body kit for my grand am, but with no avail. any suggestions what to look for or where to look? second, what brands would fit my car, or rather what brands would work best, with the least amount of alterations to the parts to fit them. bear with my ignorance here, but the cold air intake takes place of my air filter? or is it a whole separate part?

Carsuperfreak, what do you mean by erector set ones? like the metal ones that are on like steel girders? I was looking for a raceish looking one, not to pronounced, but i don't want one as low as say the grand prix ones that just basicly hugs the trunk. I'm not looking for a wing to add performance, just looks. my grand am looks rather plain as is.

Allanon1313
05-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Ok i looked into body kits and heres what i found

http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/92-95grandam.html

what do you think? i like it if i had the 700 to spend on it. least i know there are body kits out there, now to work on saving the cash.

fluffybunny
05-15-2004, 07:00 PM
as far as racing goes, a body kit is not going to make you go faster..... ive raced plenty of civics and accords, and beat them on a stock ld9. i also own an accord and i dont think there is a comparison between the two as far as speed goes, the honda has more top end, but my grand am gets there twice as fast..... id have to say spend your money on engine and tranny upgrades before body work........

Allanon1313
05-15-2004, 10:16 PM
as far as performance, where do i start? what should i look into first?

GRANDAMLD9
05-15-2004, 10:28 PM
what motor do you have. check out www.aedcentral.com and www.fxdesigns.com for bodykits.

Allanon1313
05-16-2004, 10:53 AM
its the 4-cyl 2.3 L 5 spd manual

GRANDAMLD9
05-16-2004, 03:19 PM
well, you can do a light flywheel (think fatanza makes one) and a stronger clutch. go with a HO intake manifold and TB. intake. exhuast 2.25 or 2.5 piping all the way from the downpipe back.

i would just check out this link on quad4 since im to lazy today to type everything out

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=29

achievasc92
05-17-2004, 09:48 AM
^ what he said.

As lond as you don't have the SOHC quad then you're in a good position to build a fairly quick car. There have been a few QUads that have broken 13s N/A

matt11583
05-17-2004, 06:05 PM
if you r goin for performance. the first thing you should do is exhaust, headers, and intake. tehn you can decide on cams and suspension.

GreaseDog
09-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Ok i bought my car, its my first, with the intent on using it for just driving. But recently have become "car crazy" and want a moded car. I looked into it, and found theres not really a damn thing to mod on a grand am, that i found. Are there cheap ways to increase my hp, and make the exterior look better, without dishing out thousands for a new car? I thought of a wing on the back, might look cool? Any suggestions what i can do? what kinda parts to add, and so forth?

with your opening statements, i would guess that you are 16 years old, and just got your DL. with that said, leave the car stock. you're too young to be driving a modified car. you may think you're a good driver, but you do not have the experience needed to handle such a vehicle, a stock vehicle is going to be a big enough chore for you to keep under control in all situations.

this is one of the big problems with young drivers today. they watch the Rice and the Curious, and think that they need to have a street race car. for the most part, they are what give all automotive enthusiasts a bad name.

Tom94gaGT
09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
i agree with grease dog....if you are young and its your first car i would leave it stock, mods might cause your car to break down more often and also you should get some good experience on teh road, a grand am is a plenty quick enough car for a new driver. Its kind of a waste to mod an older grand am too, might as well just save your cash and buy a better car that was built for speed. the grand am is a great, reliable and fun to drive car but they just really werent built to be "fast" cars.

Add your comment to this topic!