Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A blower that I saw

RavagePenguin
05-13-2004, 06:53 PM
I saw this blower that wouldn't turn on untill you hit a switch. Now what wierd is a blower belt driven so howw in the hell can you turn it on and off. I'm wonder if they had a separate belt system that could do that or what I even saw one on commercial for the autodry stuff. So does anyone know the brand. I know it exist cause I saw one with my own two eyes(I wasn't on anything by the way).

ECDnihlism
05-14-2004, 09:10 PM
It uses a clutching mechanism....I don't know who makes it though.

RavagePenguin
05-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks! Now does anyone know the brand that makes it. Be nice if I could I wanna put on my Trans Am

Volvord 784VC
05-16-2004, 12:33 AM
It works on the same prinicple as an Air Conditioning compressor and uses a similar electromagnetic clutch. A simple flip of a switch on your dash to turn it on.

BleedDodge
06-08-2004, 12:28 AM
If you're planning on putting a blower on your car, you're going to need to know a lot more than how it stops and starts...

RavagePenguin
06-08-2004, 04:31 PM
If you're planning on putting a blower on your car, you're going to need to know a lot more than how it stops and starts...

I know that it's just that one will be easier to work with for a street/strip setup

duplox
06-27-2004, 12:15 PM
I've never seen a company who makes one and as far as I know they're just for show, no go. I have seen them used on Mad-Max type replica cars, but the blowers are just hollow, they don't do anything. The problem is you need a clutch that is small enough and be able to hold enough power to turn the blower. an AC system requires maybe what, 10hp? 15? A blower, especially a roots type, is going to take 70-125+hp to turn.

Musclecar Freak!
09-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey man, do you have a 2 bolt main, or a 4 bolt main motor? I wouldn't put a blower on a 2 bolt man, then you'll have those caps worn down bad. I wouldn't get a switch blower either man, I would get a crank belt driven blower, because no it is not going to take horsepower away. Depending on what carbs you put with the blower, or how big your block is, what heads, what ever, it varies. Now if have a nice 400 or maybe a 455 in that Trans Am man you could put a dual carb blower on that and make a 150-200 horse increase. There was an episode on "Horsepower TV" and they had a 436 horsepower 440 roadrunner, they put a nice blower on it, and it wasn't that much of a forced fed one either but, they had it cranking 275 more horses man, up to about 711 horses. Now if you have a 400 or 455, then its a 4 bolt, but if you have a lil 326 or something and its a 2 bolt i would just work it with boring, and stroking, and new heads, headers, bigger carb, etc.

RavagePenguin
09-05-2004, 02:58 PM
I have a Pontiac 400. I prefer the switch blower because of the gas. Plus having a blower on all the time is hard on the engine.

Kingster
11-04-2004, 02:10 AM
If you're engine's built right, it doesn't matter. There's plenty of boosted engines on the market capable of achieving 150,000+ miles. During regular driving it produces a minimal amount or no boost at all. Unless you have a very high boost setup, which you really only would use for a strip application.

MrPbody
11-04-2004, 09:31 AM
What Kingster says is exactly right. A supercharged engine, if done correctly, will respond very well to the boost, without putting too much "pressure" on it at street speeds (engine speeds). For your 400, use well-ported 6X-4 heads, to get the compression down to a tolerable level, and flow up to the blower's requirements. Contrary to popular belief, a supercharged engine REALLY LIKES ported heads and intake.
If you would like more specific information on the Pontiac, go to

boyleworks.com (musclecars)
classicalpontiac.com (Q&A)
performanceyears.com (tech forum)

You will find a wealth of accurate information and hook up with the main body of Pontiac racers around the world. You might be surprised how many there are, and how fast they go!

MR P BODY
01-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Some years ago I was doing work for Bendix working on just this project,
we were doing it on 4 cyl. engines, it was off most of the time but if you
hit the pedal to the floor it hit a micro switch that engaged the
compressor (blower), we were doing this for economy and for power both
this worked well but it was ruff on the drive clutch(you needed it to
come in at about half trottle to make the clutch live) small engines with
high revs would burn up the clutch
Was a fun project

Add your comment to this topic!