How do i fix this noise near the alternator/belt?

ajkloepfer
05-13-2004, 04:54 PM
I own a Dodge 1993 spirit and recently it started to make this odd noise. It was more liek a screeching and clickin sound all at once. I have been able to pinpoint the noise to the area aroudn the alternator and the belt but from there i do not know where to go. The noise stops when i hit the gas and am on the gas, but it goes back on the second i let off the gas. Any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

slantsixness
05-14-2004, 05:51 AM
What engine is your car?
if it's a 4cyl (2.5L), the idler pulley for the air conditioner is probably bad, or your water pump,alternator or AC compressor could be going bad.

knucklebuster2
05-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Check for play in the pulleys the alt belt drives. If there is any play, the accessory must be changed ( alt, water pump, etc.) If not, the belt may just be old and/or loose. Replace the belt and tighten properly.

Geeko
05-14-2004, 02:49 PM
the first thing i would try doing is replacing your belt.

on my spirit i had a screaming noise from hell. took it to a shop, they quoted me 400 bucks for a new water pump, installed. other shop told me it was probably the water pump. friend told me it was probably the water pump. after spending 50 bucks, an afternoon, and 2 busted knuckles replacing the water pump... it STILL squealed.

one 9 dollar trip to NAPA later, no more noise. dammit.

Polygon
05-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I also think you should start by changing the belt. Don't wait until it snaps or you will have a very long drive ahead of you since the alternator belt drives the water pump as well.

ajkloepfer
05-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Its a V6 engine.

ladymech62
05-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Does it seem worse on first start up then quiets down? When the noise goes away on acceleration you are giving it more RPMs to turn thus making the altenator, AC, power steering . . . work less hard. If the belt appears to be glazed or shiny, that means it has been running loose and needs replacement. Also any contamination by dirt, power steering fluid, oil, or antifreeze will make belts scream and usually replacement is the only cure AFTER the leaks are fixed. Sometimes an empty power steering pump will make all sorts of growls so check to see if the fluid is filled uo to full level.
Bearings going bad will make noise too, but will make the same sound reguardless to the RPMs . . . you can, if you are VERY CAREFUL, take a long thin screwdriver or piece of metal and hold it on the case or near the pulley (DO NOT GET IT IN THE PULLEY OR BELT!!!!) and listen, by putting your ear to the end, to hear if the noise is the same. Some ruffness can be heard in bearings but it has to match the noise you hear . . .

ajkloepfer
05-14-2004, 11:06 PM
no, usually it is quiet and then gets louder. sometimes it just starts out loud.

slantsixness
05-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Allright,
I'll say it.

It's gremlins I tell you, It's gremlins!

You could have a vacuum leak, or a pulley and/or bearing have gone bad.
take ALL the belts off your rattletrap. Now start the motor (no! not the timing belts...) does it still make this noise? No? It might be a belt, or...It's SOME pulley or bearing on a pulley, which could be your ALT,A/C compressor, air pump? Water pump?

And if it still makes noise with all the belts off, maybe it is the timing belts, or a vacuum leak.

Or maybe the gerbils are just dying!

Slantsixness

Geeko
05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Allright,
I'll say it.

It's gremlins I tell you, It's gremlins!

You could have a vacuum leak, or a pulley and/or bearing have gone bad.
take ALL the belts off your rattletrap. Now start the motor (no! not the timing belts...) does it still make this noise? No? It might be a belt, or...It's SOME pulley or bearing on a pulley, which could be your ALT,A/C compressor, air pump? Water pump?

And if it still makes noise with all the belts off, maybe it is the timing belts, or a vacuum leak.

Or maybe the gerbils are just dying!

Slantsixness

gremlins?

what does the AMC HB have to do with his gerbils being sick? :D

slantsixness
05-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Better than a hornet..... :biggrin:

ladymech62
05-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Take your WD-40 and spray each belt (don't stand where the spray can get you) Whe the noise goes away . . . check out those pulleys after you look at the belt.

BleedDodge
05-21-2004, 12:29 AM
The alternator in my boss' truck clicks. It speeds up with the revs. We don't know why it does that.

indyram
05-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Try dumping some mt. dew on the belt if it stops making the noise replace it, gas will also work or belt dressing.

knucklebuster2
05-21-2004, 05:59 AM
Do not take a thin screwdriver or a piece of metal and put it to your ear to listen for the noise. Cut a three foot piece of rubber heater hose and use that to listen. There is less of a chance that the rubber hose will be embedded in your head. If you use WD40 or belt dressing to get rid of the noise, keep in mind once you narrow down to which belt it is, you will have to change all the belts anyway. Belt dressing gums up the rubber to help it grab and stop squealing. Wd40 will only make it slip more. THese are good methods of finding which belt is your problem, but I would just change them all. When you have the belts off, check each pulley for play or damage. If it is your belts, just changing one (if ther is more than one) will only solve the problem temporarily. All the belts have the same amount of wear and will soon follow. Change them all.

indyram
05-21-2004, 11:25 PM
I agree with knucklebuster2, using mt. dew, belt dressing, or anything else sticky is not a fix. I have just used it in the past to make sure it was the belt and not something else, and they should all be replaced at the same time. Pretty easy to do, and not real expensive assuming it is only a belt.

BleedDodge
05-22-2004, 01:15 AM
Do The Dew!

slantsixness
05-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Good god people!
Just change the F#$@^ING belts and be done with it.

Mountain Dew works in a pinch...
So does mineral oil, corn syrup,Log Cabin syrup, belt dresssing, and fix-a-flat (it wont fix a flat, but it'll stop that F$%^ing belt noise!).
But I wouldn't put any of this SH!T on my car, unless I was a long way from a wrench or parts!

Or, just sell the F#$%ING car and be rid of the noise for good!

Slantsixness

BleedDodge
05-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I heard that the Code Red Mountain Dew doesn't work quite the same as the normal green stuff, so don't try it. LOL I'm just kidding.

Change the belts.

slantsixness
05-29-2004, 06:22 AM
LOL
Code Red tastes like tranny fluid....:)

Hemi99
06-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Nice suggestions so far, I like the Mt Dew idea personally. It sound like it could be the A/C compressor failing, mine did the same thing. I would hear a click as the A/C clutch kicked in and then it started screeching and got louder. Then it did it as soon as the clutch kicked in. Cut the A/C belt and unroll the windows or by a remaned A/C compressor to fix it. Also check for belt glazing on the serpentine belt, when the engine is off and you decide to replace the belts, look at the pulleys and see if they are glazed too. If so, take some 200 or 400 grit sandpaper and sand ACROSS the pulley, not around it. That will break the glaze and grip the belt better. Another idea would be to check for belt alignment, if one belt seems to move back and forth as it runs, then one of your pulleys is misaligned.

Geeko
06-11-2004, 01:29 PM
on a not-totally-unrelated note, how DO you change the belts on a civic? as far as i've seen, the civic is one of the easiest-to-matinence vehicles out there, but i can't figure it out

i've got a belt that squeaks... my A/C compressor belt i think (96 DX), and it's got a post that goes through the middle of the belt's loop. how the heck do i change that thing out? what a pain :/

BleedDodge
06-11-2004, 03:49 PM
on a not-totally-unrelated note, how DO you change the belts on a civic? as far as i've seen, the civic is one of the easiest-to-matinence vehicles out there, but i can't figure it out

i've got a belt that squeaks... my A/C compressor belt i think (96 DX), and it's got a post that goes through the middle of the belt's loop. how the heck do i change that thing out? what a pain :/

I can understand why you didn't want to ask about this in the Civic forum, since most of your replies will be in Japanese and everything, but it's probably worth a shot.

There must be an idler pulley with an attachment for a socket wrench or something so you can pull the belt loose with the wrench, slide the belt off, and put the new belt on. It's not hard or anything.

Geeko
06-12-2004, 10:03 AM
oh crap... you... err... >_< i'm an idiot.

for some reason, i thought this thread was in the honda forum... d'oh!

yeah, that's how it works on my spirit, but the civic has a piece that goes in-between the loop on the belt, which makes it impossible to remove the old belt without cutting it, and impossible to mount a new belt. i know there's a way, but i havn't figured it out yet...

move along, nothing to see here...

BleedDodge
06-12-2004, 02:32 PM
That piece that goes in the loop, it must be removable. Any pics of this thing?

Geeko
06-12-2004, 09:28 PM
i'll take some tomorrow and post them. it's dark outside and i'm tired, too dang lazy right now. :rolleyes:

BleedDodge
06-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Just drive your mystery ride for the time being, if you ever figure out what it is! LOL just kidding man. I'll try and help you.

slantsixness
06-14-2004, 05:24 AM
I have a neighbor's son with a civic. His A/C belt sqealed, or so we thought. It turned out the idler pulley was locked up. It seems to be a common thing on Hondoodoo's

And, those belts are a pain in the a$$ on them too.

meanwhile, back in the dodge forum...
We're going to have to start posting auf deutsch....:grinno:

Tag,

Slantsixness

ladymech62
06-19-2004, 04:31 PM
What is nice is with the belts off you can spin all the pulleys and feel how they roll to check for a bad bearing - sometimes the bearings in the altenator are the culprit - sometimes they can be just noisy - especially if they've been wet with antifreeze . . .

I like your siggy slantsixness - sounds like me! I dearly loved my Duster with its 225 until a drunk hit it . . . :(
BleedDodge - refering to bleeding the old engine color?

BleedDodge
06-20-2004, 04:55 PM
No well one of my friends was talking about this dragcar driver he knew that loved Chevy so much that he claimed he bled Chevy, and I thought, "well I bleed Dodge!" I thought it sounded good so that's what I use on most of the forums I visit. You can find me under this name at Moparts.org, and at Moparstyle.com, and I used to go to Moparchat.com until the owner and the mods got real mean, and basically everyone abandonned that site. That one site probably had the highest amount of user traffic out of all the Mopar sites, but it was doomed simply because the owner and some mods decided to be assholes to everyone. It wasn't cool at all.

slantsixness
06-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Actually, I'm on Ramchargercentral.com with this name, as well as a few other forums and places.

Moparchat.com sux. I was there too, once. they were not very nice.

jbryant5
10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
the first thing i would try doing is replacing your belt.

on my spirit i had a screaming noise from hell. took it to a shop, they quoted me 400 bucks for a new water pump, installed. other shop told me it was probably the water pump. friend told me it was probably the water pump. after spending 50 bucks, an afternoon, and 2 busted knuckles replacing the water pump... it STILL squealed.

one 9 dollar trip to NAPA later, no more noise. dammit.

Hi, I have tried everything, I replaced the alternator, I replaced all belts, including the timing and I still get the squeal. If you don't mind me asking, what did you buy at NAPA?

Geeko
10-06-2004, 10:04 PM
... a new belt :P

theFREAKnasty82
10-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the person who originally posted this question?

Geeko
10-20-2004, 07:18 PM
hmm... based on my calculations...

he appears to be in the trunk of my car. :D

wait... i don't HAVE a trunk...

*goes back to drawing board*

Add your comment to this topic!