Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'72 beetle heater pipes

Andypled
05-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Hope someone can give me an idea of what to do to fix this little problem I have.
I recently bought a VW Beetle, 1972 LHD Cal Look, aware of a few things needing doing to it. One of these was the front heating system.
The heater channels themselves are absolutely fine and all OK coming from the back of the car.
My problem is this:
Under the front bonnet, there are meant to be 2 pipes rising up, 1 either side, from the front of the heat channels that run down both sides of the car. My car unfortunately only has one of these cardboardy pipes rising into the space with the 3 way split piece on, I have bought the rest of the parts I required from a recent VW show at Stanford Hall but cannot find an easy way of joining this pipe back to the heater channel on one side.
Is this easily done or am I best to forget the idea until I need to replace the channels at a future date???
Any advice much appreciated as I am new to the beetle scene, I always liked them and finally got one, now all I have to do is learn the ins and outs.
Many thanks in adavnce
Andy

Doug Rodrigues
05-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Since no one else has answered your question, I'll try to help. Off the top of my head, I don't remember exactly which tubes you refer to: It's been 29 years since I had anything to do with a Volkswagen. Okay, assuming that you cannot locate the parts from a wrecking yard, or a specialty house that sells aftermarket VW parts....one good place to go to is an aircraft parts supply house. I would recommend that you use the search feature on your ISP and type-in "Aircraft Spruce and Specialty." They are located in California. One of the things that aircraft use are various sizes of flexable tubing. You buy it by the foot. If they have a web site, you would probably be able to shop on-line. This is the best recommendation I can give you if you're out of ideas.

**I just realized that the tubes you were mentioning are the flexable aluminum tubes covered with the heavy grey paper. Seems to me that such tubes should be able to be special ordered from a VW specialty shop. They fall apart easily so I'm sure that there should be some demand for replacements.

spasticone
05-25-2004, 08:48 PM
I hate to even suggest this.... but I used duct tape and a small piece of flex pipe to attach mine on my baja. if it's the spot I think it is... it worked VERY well. I know it may sound like boog rigging, but that's what the tape was made for... sealing ducts.

Doug Rodrigues
05-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Hey, whatever works. Nobody is going to see it anyway. That duct tape is probably better than that paper tube anyway. For the tubes in back though, the aircraft duct would last almost forever, and it's not that expensive. If you do ever go with the aircraft duct, get the red high temperature ducting. That stuff does last forever.

bluebug
07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
There is not an easy way to get them in, as the channel end is in a hole not big enough for your arm and the duct at the same time. There is a small hole on the inside of the car just forward of the lower door hinge. It will be behind the carpet and about 2" above the channel. I have seen people enlarge that hole to get the duct onto the channel ell. You can then weld the hole back up. Clark

Add your comment to this topic!