Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

some weird vibrations.

Myrrdex
05-13-2004, 01:42 AM
I have a 2002 accord ex. I have recently had a vibrating when i brake just the slightest bit when i am going over 55 mph. Its more in the steering wheel than in the car itself. I thought maybe it was the alignment but i recently got it aligned and made sure to mention the vibration before it was aligned. The mechanic said nothing seemed to be wrong. I am just curious if anyone else had this problem. I guess i could take it to honda mechanics pretty soon, but i thought maybe someone could help me.

Igovert500
05-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Could be a few things. My first two thoughts are
1) tire is not balanced correctly...I had this happen once and it vibrated between 60-80mph
2) wheel bearings may be worn.

But vibrations can be caused by a dozen different things. Try doing a search.

rstein13
05-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a warped, chipped or hard-spotted rotor. Are you sometimes hard on your brakes? The factory honda rotors are not the most heat resistant or durable. Pull the wheel and look at the rotors.

Myrrdex
05-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a warped, chipped or hard-spotted rotor. Are you sometimes hard on your brakes? The factory honda rotors are not the most heat resistant or durable. Pull the wheel and look at the rotors.

yes i am sometimes hard on my brakes. i live in the mountains and I drive faster than most.

Myrrdex
05-14-2004, 03:55 PM
how much does a rotor cost to replace, if it is a stock honda rotor with stupid honda mechanics overcharging. ACTUALLY, how hard is it to install your own rotors?

Igovert500
05-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda rotors suck, because Honda in all their genius, decided to attach them to the axle hub, rather than leave them free-floating like every other company in the world. You need special screwdriver or something to get the rotors off, but changing rotors(other than that little setback) is fairly easy.
Also rotors can warp a few different ways. If your lugnuts are not evenly tightened, it can cause warpage.
My advice, call around and find a place that turns/resurfaces rotors. If they aren't warped too badly, most places will resurface them for $7 a piece. They might charge a bit more to take them off the car...but it will be a hell of alot cheaper than getting a dealership to switch on new ones at $70 an hour.

Myrrdex
05-15-2004, 02:52 AM
badass, thanks for the help. that will probably save me a lot of money. I'll tell you what happens after i get this fixed.

Russ R
05-23-2004, 01:52 AM
All my Honda's have had this problem. Turning the rotors will only TEMPORARILY fix the problem. Solution is rotor replacement. Difficult to remove the spindle nut, usually torqued @ 134ftlbs. Need impact screwdriver to remove the rotor from hub. Good Luck

Igovert500
05-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Russ R, welcome to AF. Also, I don't completely agree. Resurfacing rotors isn't a temp fix IMHO. They shave them just a bit to even it out, to almost OEM quality again. If you are continuously having this problem, then I would upgrade your rotors AND pads with some decent aftermarket ones. But rotors are a part of the car that gets worn, just like pads and tires, all of them only last TEMPORARILY. Resurfacing rotors renews their life if they aren't screwed too badly. And it is not like they only last a few more hundred miles. They aren't brand new rotors, but they will last if the tech knows what he is doing and doesn't take too much off. I would label a spare tire a temp fix, Rotor resurfacing I wouldn't label it a 'temp fix'. Just my opinion.

Myrrdex
06-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, I just got my car back. It was the rotors just like everyone said. And i really hate honda mechanics. Freaking way too expensive to resurface the rotors. Does that mean they just rotated it or switched it, or did they actually do something to the rotor? That was way overpriced. I was planning on my first real mod with this paycheck but now i have to wait for the next one as you will see from my originaly post.

Igovert500
06-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Resurfacing means they took the rotor to a lythe and shaved a bit off the surface to make it 100% flat and even again. Also, NEVER EVER EVER take it to a honda mechanic. If they are honda, they are certified, which means they can charge 70/hour, just like a dealership, except they are in business for themselves. Find a good mechanic who doesn't rape you. If the mechanic is certified for Honda, or works at a dealership, chances are he will overcharge by way too much.

Add your comment to this topic!