Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C conversion from R12 to R134a

vhandobi
05-12-2004, 07:41 PM
How easy or how well do the R134 "conversion" kits work? I've had some people tell me they work great, and other people tell me you have to switch out all of the mechanics?

What's the story? Can I switch it out, or am I asking for trouble?

Crang
05-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Well, if your system had R-12 in it, then it would be easier to re-charge the system with a blend Freon like R416a or an auto parts replacement such as Dura Cool or Red Tek. Dura Cool and Red Tek are organic and you can purchase and install either yourself.

The thing about 134a is that it is very corrosive and will not last in an older system as long. Also, some refrigerant oils are not compatible with 134a.

If you really wanted to convert, then you can get a kit from an auto parts shop that has the O-Rings, valves and oil. It would be a good idea to change the accumulator/dryer at the same time. Other than those items, there is nothing else to change.

Hope this helps!

vhandobi
05-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I forgot to mention in my original post that I have a 1992 Buick LeSabre.

The "corrosive" nature of 134a was something that I was not aware of. The other "blends" that were mentioned I have not heard of or seen before. Where can these be obtained?

Flatrater
05-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Never heard R-134a being corrosive. If it was so corrosive than it would of ate away any metal it comes in contact with. Since most cars built after 1995 have R-134a and are still working would show that R134a isn't corrosive.

Flatrater
05-14-2004, 08:33 PM
I have done conversions to the early 90's GM cars with no problems.

public
05-23-2004, 04:09 AM
I have also converted several cars with no problems. The oldest is a 1989. Converted several years ago.... Still blows cold.

vhandobi
05-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Flatrater--On one of my earlier posts, you had indicated a way to check for a freon leak of the evaporator core would be to remove the blower motor resistor on top of the HVAC case. You then said to look inside and see if junk was covering the fins of the core.

While the conversion and refilling of the AC with 134a seemed to do the trick (there was no R12 in the system before conversion!) I'd like to know exactly where to find the HVAC case and resistor; just in case the AC starts to flake out....and just out of curiosity.

I have a 92 Buick LeSabre.

Thanks.

cyntax01
05-31-2004, 11:08 AM
vhandobi --
I also have a 92 Lesabre and did a retrofit on the A/C a couple years back, everything went fine and it still blows cold air.

The lesabre uses an accumulator which is located under the cover for the Maxifuse/Relay center, just remove the plastic cover and you can easily reach the accumulator. When you do the conversion, make sure you drain the system of any remaining R-12, some shops will "reclaim" the refrigerant for free because it is valuable, and refill with an Esther oil charge and R-134A refrigerant.

From what I understand Esther oil is compatible with both refigerants, while PAG oil (the standard oil for r-134a systems) is not compatible with the R-12 residue and can cause problems over time.

Hope this helps.
Josh

Protech Mobile
07-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Hi,

Could someone tell me what steps you took to convert 134? Ikeep seeing alot of conflicting information and now i want ac in this car to work.
I have never done a conversion and Im trying to do this on my car which is a 92 Lesabre. System is empty and i filed out two years ago with r12 and after I was all done i found no leaks but it was empty. I added dye and used uv light and snap on sniffer. Now I want to convert it. Also any suggesting on sources for repair services to order ac parts?
Email direct to protechmobileautorepair at HOTMAIL a source list. I am buying locally for parts out of auto zone and oreillys which works fine.

Add your comment to this topic!