Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hi, I`m NEW and Nervous

rallymal1221
05-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi, I am new, not only to this forum but to modeling. Many years ago I made a few aircraft, as a kid, but I now find I want to try my hand at car models. I live in the UK and have monitored this forum for some time, mainly to gather tips and admire the huge number of terrific model photos.
I have the patience and a couple of models, current project ( my 1st) is a Tamiya NISSAN SKYLINE Hardtop 2000 Turbo GT-ES. The build is going fine, but I am dreading the time when I have to lay paint on the body. I have bought loads of Tamiya acrylic paints both spray and pots so I guess I have to go for it. Any advice you guys have out there will be welcome.

jgmodelcars
05-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Hello and welcome! Practice spraying something else first before spraying the body if you've never used spray paint before, that should help! Good luck with everything!

lotus_man
05-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Welcome aboard! Don't be nervous of paint, it's tricky to get a PMan shine, but pretty easy to get results the rest of us mortals would be pleased with.

Your first step should be the FAQ, theres loads on painting in there. The key things to remember are - get the body smooth before you do any painting and use a good primer (Tamiya if you can get it, otherwise Halfors is good in the UK).

Best of luck, and show us some pics when you're done!

OzZySi
05-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Welcome!

I'm going to be honest with you, it's rare for some one to be happy with their first paint job. Practice makes perfect- but the good people of this forum will help you whenever you need their assistance.

Keep us posted on how your project is going.

rx7king
05-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Welcome

rallymal1221
05-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys, your advice is welcome also and will definitely be heeded. Once I have something completed worthy of release to the world, I will post Photos.

supermod04
05-12-2004, 01:11 PM
welcome,

always post some progress. always helps, becuase people can sugest what to do and help you along the way. have fun modeling, i like it, takes up alot of money but it is worth it!

Howielong
05-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the world of modeling. Can't wait to see you model. I just did up a Skyline. It is gun metal. I like it. Hope you have fun.

Vric
05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the EXPENSIVE world of modeling. :D

blueboost
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
yes welcome aboard!

always make sure to spray in the wind that way, any over spray can blow back into your eyes, nose and mouth. ;)

ask any modeler, any real modeler. wether you paint an inch or a mile, if you cant see, smell and taste the paint for the rest of the week, your not a real model master. :thumbsup:

StephenDeli
05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Welcome! The best advice I can give you is to get a job(expensive hobbie here) and take your time. Like others have said practice spray painting. I used CD covers. Have fun!

blueboost
05-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Welcome! The best advice I can give you is to get a job(expensive hobbie here) and take your time. Like others have said practice spray painting. I used CD covers. Have fun!

whats funny is my CD covers always turn out flawlessly. :lol:
My models on the other hand... :rolleyes:

BlueHand
05-12-2004, 05:31 PM
welcome, dont need to be nervous, we are all here to help.. practice does make things better, rule No.1 test the spray before u spray the final thing.. I just sprayed some old colour form a can, :P turned out all horrible..

all the best..

SupaMan89T
05-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Welcome to AF!!! as of now you will be broke. lol

shieldwulf
05-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Welcome to AF! There are lots of great folks here.

It's normal to be nervous if you are attempting it the first time. I was too. Try to relax :naughty:

The best way to improve is to practice, and practice. Don't feel bad if your first few projects don't seem to be as good as you'd expect it to be.

If you are really really nervous, and since you have loads of sprays, you may want to practice it on something else, say, a flat piece of plastic styrene sheet? :smile:

I always keep some pieces of plastic styrene sheet around as it's handy. I will spray it on with a test colour, or after doing some colour mixes, to see if I like it enough to proceed on the actual model.

Here's some links that may be of interest to you, it includes a short video on spraying can painting:

Let's Make Models - Tamiya
http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/index.htm
http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/spray.mpg

Tips & Techniques - Tamiya America
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/plastic/tips/index.html

Sk8er6811
05-13-2004, 12:56 AM
hey welcome to AF dont be nervous jus take your time adn they will come out fine. Remember your building it for yourself, so do what you like. and customize the way you want to. Though advice from here is very useful make sure you excercise your creativity ad well

rallymal1221
05-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks Shieldwulf, those links are a great help. Whoever said that I was nervous( oh it WAS me). I guess you could change that to `can`t wait to lay colour` ( Thats color to you guys across the pond).

Thanks to all for the friendly welcome, gotta go .... a Skyline awaits.

tonioseven
05-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi, :)

phase5
05-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Hi and welcome this a great site for inspiration and help. i have been spraying for years and still stuff up some paint jobs. mainly by trying new paints or just being complacent

Add your comment to this topic!