Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lotus Elise vs. Ford Mustang Cobra

Pages : [1] 2

3000ways
05-12-2004, 12:54 AM
I just love how so many different cars use so many different ways to get you from point a to point b, fast! I mean there is the high reving 4-Cylinder S2000 , to the 10-Cylinder Viper, to the Supercharged 8-Cylinder E55 AMG, to the Inline-6 tech heavy M3, to 4-Cylinder AWD EVO. All these cars are different in the ways they go fast, but they all go FAST. Here is a crazy comparison between two cars, that have absolutely nothing in common except that they are fast (and pricing is kind of close). These two cars use different or almost opposite methods of being fast, which do you like? Which method is to your likings and get's the job done the best? First you have the light weight Lotus Elise, it's 190HP 4-Cylinder is combined with it's incredibly light weight to give this car go kart like reflexes. Then there is the american muscle supercharged Mustang Cobra. The complete opposite with it's 390HP and 390TQ that out muscles many opponents including the likes of the BMW M3 and Acura NSX. Who would you take, two competely different methods of going fast, but they both go fast. The Elise or Cobra?

2005 Lotus Elise (US Version)
1.8L 4-Cylinder
190HP@7800RPM
133TQ@6800RPM
1980Lbs
0-60- 4.8 Seconds
1/4 Mile- 13.4 Seconds
Handling- 1.00g

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
4.6L Supercharged 8-Cylinder
390HP@6000RPM
390TQ@3500RPM
3660Lbs
0-60- 4.8 Seconds
1/4 Mile- 13.1 Seconds
Handling- .88g

3kgt8
05-12-2004, 01:47 AM
Lotus Elise because there are too many Mustangs out there.

Demon_Mustang
05-12-2004, 02:16 AM
I don't get people like that. They try so hard to be "different" that they end up conforming to their own crowd of non-conformists. I wonder if he realizes that there are a bunch of people out there that are exactly the same way. And in no way are they being "unique" they are just part of yet another group of people.

Anyway, I've always gone for the low-end torque over the high-revving cars myself. Both are fast, and the high-revving cars would mostly have an advantage in the twisties, but I've been a straightline guy from the day I got my license. Since in order to keep from getting a ton of traffic tickets, the best rush I could get out of everyday driving is from 0-speed limit, which is like 55mph, well, 45mph, but the cops where I live usually let you get away with up to 10mph over, so 0-55 is about what I end up doing most of the time. I never really have much of a chance to go on an actual track to be able to push a car to it's handling limits. On regular streets in regular speeds, any of these cars will be able to handle without breaking a sweat, so it comes down to the low-end torque that makes the difference with me. :)

crayzayjay
05-12-2004, 03:20 AM
The most ridiculous comparison ive seen in a very long time. Elise.

youngvr4
05-12-2004, 03:35 AM
i prefer the elise, i don't think its that bad of a comparison, we are talking two diff speeds.

demon mustang, your right bieng unique puts you in a catogory of another, but its not so common, and people prefer to have a lotus esprit instead of a corvette, since its more rare that way you get more looks and your not like most others.

freakonaleash1187
05-12-2004, 06:40 AM
i would much rather have the elise. not only does it look better (imo), it handles like it is on rails. i love it when a little 4-cylinder can keep up with a supercharged v-8.

Jimster
05-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Elise, duh.

3000ways
05-12-2004, 07:23 AM
The most ridiculous comparison ive seen in a very long time. Elise.

Why do you say it's ridiculous? Don't get me wrong I stated that the two cars are very much different, but in a way they are both fast. Sure I could compared the Cobra vs. Camaro SS, or even a Cobra vs. E55 AMG (both have supercharged V8s, or evn a Cobra vs. Cobra R. But I thought this was interesting to show just how differently cars do the same thing. I would absolutely hate it if all cars were the same. So again I ask why do you say ridiculous, is it because you believe the Cobra is no match for the Elise?

crayzayjay
05-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Why do you say it's ridiculous? Don't get me wrong I stated that the two cars are very much different, but in a way they are both fast. Sure I could compared the Cobra vs. Camaro SS, or even a Cobra vs. E55 AMG (both have supercharged V8s, or evn a Cobra vs. Cobra R. But I thought this was interesting to show just how differently cars do the same thing. I would absolutely hate it if all cars were the same. So again I ask why do you say ridiculous, is it because you believe the Cobra is no match for the Elise?
Sorry, i didnt mean any offense. But i disagree that these cars "do the same thing", and yes, I believe the Elise is extremely superior to the Cobra.

3000ways
05-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Sorry, i didnt mean any offense. But i disagree that these cars "do the same thing", and yes, I believe the Elise is extremely superior to the Cobra.

Yeah I see what you are saying and I do kind of agree, but I do have to ask why with 390HP and 390TQ is the Cobra so over matched? Why can't Ford who has had almost half a century of building Mustangs get it right, I mean a Cobra that offers both straight line speed and killer track performance? Why do I have to pay $50,000 for a Cobra R to get straight line speed and killer track performance, when I can get straight line speed and killer track performance for $30,000 from an EVO or STI, and for $40,000 from an Elise?

crayzayjay
05-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Yeah I see what you are saying and I do kind of agree, but I do have to ask why with 390HP and 390TQ is the Cobra so over matched?
The answer's in your first post.

Cobra - 3660lb
Elise - 1980lb

Where did you get the stats from? I dont like seeing skidpad data next to "handling".

3000ways
05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
The answer's in your first post.

Cobra - 3660lb
Elise - 1980lb

Where did you get the stats from? I dont like seeing skidpad data next to "handling".

Yeah the weight makes sense, still the Cobra is almost double the weight and also double the power. Besides that is not the answer I was looking for, I was asking why can't Ford create an affordable all around performance car. Weight is certainly an issue, but Ford has no trouble in getting the just as heavy Cobra R to handle very well, yet I would have to pay around $50,000 for that. Other heavy cars that handle very well, BMW M5, Nissan Skyline GT-R, 3000GT VR4, and let's not forget the Supra tiped the scales at over 3500Lbs in the United States. But for Ford and the Cobra the issue of weight is a problem, and that is what disappoints me, the Cobra which saw an increase in power also saw a significant increase in weight. When will Ford learn that it's more than just power that makes a sports car.
Oh yeah the handling data came from previous model Elises, this particular Elise has yet to be released in the Unites States and has yet to be tested, slalom numbers are all 70MPH+ for previous Elises. the 0-60 time is what Lotus says it does, the 1/4 mile time is a guess figuring it's horsepower and torque, the Elise should be able to accomplish 1/4 mile times somewhere between 13.2-13.4 seconds depending on driver and car.

Kurtdg19
05-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah the weight makes sense, still the Cobra is almost double the weight and also double the power. Besides that is not the answer I was looking for, I was asking why can't Ford create an affordable all around performance car. Weight is certainly an issue, but Ford has no trouble in getting the just as heavy Cobra R to handle very well, yet I would have to pay around $50,000 for that. Other heavy cars that handle very well, BMW M5, Nissan Skyline GT-R, 3000GT VR4, and let's not forget the Supra tiped the scales at over 3500Lbs in the United States. But for Ford and the Cobra the issue of weight is a problem, and that is what disappoints me, the Cobra which saw an increase in power also saw a significant increase in weight. When will Ford learn that it's more than just power that makes a sports car.

I think the Cobra fits good in Fords lineup as is. Look at the market of people that buy the Mustang. Would they still be interested in buying a Cobra that looks small and short with more similarities to traditional imports versus their own? They do have the Ford Focus SVT which is a good car in the handling department. Although this is only what I think about the Mustang's design, hopfully it will become even more well rounded in the future.

As far as choosing between the two, Elise all the way. The go-cart handling characteristics exceeds IMO the low-end grunt and power of the Cobra. Thats quite odd of me saying that since I like the feel of lowend torque, but I cannot ignore the inherent qualities the Elise offers.

TatII
05-12-2004, 02:42 PM
hmmm a cobra is based on the f chassis which is over 20 years old vs. a new high tech light weight super stiff lotus elise chassis. the STi already handles better then the cobra and is better at transistional handling compared to the cobra. the elise will run circles around the STi so theres your answer. the elise may not be easier to drive fast, but if driven right, it is down right fast. sport compact car did a comparision a few years back. it was a elise with a type R motor vs. a mustang cobra R. the elise destroyed the cobra in a road course by a few seconds. if you can look up the sportcompactcar website and try to find "unlikely contenders" everyone even sport compact car thought the cobra would be a close race and they even praise the cobra for handling extremely good. but the elise was just unreal. also the cobra even the cobra R was still slower then a Z06 vette ( mostly due to the fact that the Z06 is much smaller ) the elise is atleast 1000 lbs lighter then a Z06

DinanM3_S2
05-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Not a bad comparison, but the Elise is simply an incredible car. The Cobra isnt a bad sports car, but its your basic example of an American company sacrificing weight and handling for power. The Cobra is designed for Americans looking for a loud, good 1/4 mile, American car. The Elise is designed for people looking for a spectacular true sports car. I would take the elise any day.

VQuick
05-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Can I pick an Exige instead of an Elise? If so, I'd go for that if I had to keep the car stock.

If it's a car I'm going to tune, I'll take the Cobra.

Demon_Mustang
05-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Weight is the number one performance killer. Not a little known fact at all.

But for practical use, I don't think I'll be taking any "twisties" any time soon, most of my streets here are straight. So it doesn't bother me in the least.

Filthy Sanchez
05-13-2004, 04:56 AM
Hmmm I love both cars but I think the Mustang looks better (IMO) and like the low end torque thing. The Elise is a great car though. Although I think the Esprit looked way better.

AcesHigh
05-13-2004, 12:19 PM
You don't buy an Elise and race it on the streets :rolleyes:

The Elise uses a 2ZZ-GE 1.8L Normally Aspirated Toyota Engine. Even a tiny turbocharger would throw it into some pretty respectable numbers, if you're into that sort of thing. But Lotus designed it for a course, not a dragstrip. The Cobra, however, is supercharged, which is pretty much a dead end for tuning.

BP2K2Max
05-13-2004, 01:03 PM
i saw this comparo in a road and track i think. it was the sun motors b18c5 powered Elise vs. a 2k-2k1 Cobra (i'm not 100% but i think it was a Cobra R). the elise put the smack down in every conceivable way. 0-60, 1/4, slalom, even mpg. i would take an elise without a second thought.

Neutrino
05-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Well if it were my only car I would take a cobra since its way more practical, not to mention the fact that considering all the psycho soccer moms riding in oversised SUV I would be scared to drive around in an elise.

However as a track car i would pick an elise no question.

MR2Driver
05-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Are you kidding? The look, the handling, the rarity, the status symbol, the Elise all the way. Have you seen the Top Gear video where there Apache Heli couldnt even get missle lock on the Elise because it handled so well?

It ran a faster lap time than the Porsche GT3 on a WET TRACK with slick tires. It was the 5th fastest car they've ever had around their track, and that was on a wet track.... The Elise/Exige are amazing cars, MR and true driver's sports cars...

The Mustang is only respectable in a straight line...

Neutrino
05-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Are you kidding? The look, the handling, the rarity, the status symbol, the Elise all the way. Have you seen the Top Gear video where there Apache Heli couldnt even get missle lock on the Elise because it handled so well?

It ran a faster lap time than the Porsche GT3 on a WET TRACK with slick tires. It was the 5th fastest car they've ever had around their track, and that was on a wet track.... The Elise/Exige are amazing cars, MR and true driver's sports cars...

The Mustang is only respectable in a straight line...

I'm very serious. The elise sucks as an only car because its higly unpractical.

Also its size if of great concern to me in a crash. Over 50% of automobiles in Utah are trucks, most of them in the gargantuan classes. They are so high and large that they override most crumple and safety zones of regular cars so you can only imagine how bad it would be to be hit in something as low and small as the elise.

i've just recently been hit by a soccer mom' expedition and it caused 8000 USD damage to my car. When she hit me the last thing i saw was her door handle above the level of my head. If i would have been in an elise i would be in a hospital right now since her truck would've been on top of the lotus.

I don't see this as a failure of lotus engineers, I'm sure the car has very good safety. I see this as the fault of trucks build with complete disregard to other cars' safety.

This is why if i would have only one car I would chose the cobra, its far more practical (4 seater, good size trunck), and its a bit bigger and higher off the ground making it better in a VS truck crash.

As a second car however I would chose the lotus.

AcesHigh
05-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I would agree with Neutrino, which is why I stated "You don't buy an Elise and race it on the streets" above. If I had an Elise, I would keep it in my garage and take it out on track days. It was made light, and would crumble like a paper cup in an accident.

Demon_Mustang
05-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Yah, a car isn't very good in your garage now is it?

Again, why I pick the Cobra, it'll serve my purposes a lot better than the Lotus.

Moppie
05-14-2004, 12:48 AM
I know a lot of people who use an Elise as thier daily driver, as long as you don't live somewhere where it snows a lot, and you don't have to carry lots and lots of gear, or kids around they are actualy very practicle.
Thier as easy to drive as a Toyota corrolla, put with performance in a size that makes getting around in traffic a breeze.

As for thier ablity to stand up to a crash, Iv seen 3 that were involved in big crashs. All 3 were rebuilt, one was run off the road, but two were hit by other cars, and in both cases the cars that hit them were totaly written off.
Fiberglass is an amazingly strong medium, and the Elises uses it with Carbon fibre and the stiffest chassis in production. The cars are incrediably strong, much much stronger then your average SUV.

Filthy Sanchez
05-14-2004, 02:22 AM
The Elise is an amazing car really lightwieght handle great and fast no it's not practical and when it comes tho personal choice I'll take the Cobra that's just me though making a personal choice.

Neutrino
05-14-2004, 03:14 AM
As for thier ablity to stand up to a crash, Iv seen 3 that were involved in big crashs. All 3 were rebuilt, one was run off the road, but two were hit by other cars, and in both cases the cars that hit them were totaly written off.
Fiberglass is an amazingly strong medium, and the Elises uses it with Carbon fibre and the stiffest chassis in production. The cars are incrediably strong, much much stronger then your average SUV.

As I posted im my previous post, I'm sure they are very crash worthy, however all those state of the art crumple zones will be useless when a supersize Utah standard SUV hits you. The trucks are so high that they will come straight for your head; all those fancy crumple zones will be meaningless when the SUV will go above them.

Only the M class, and new Durango SUVs (and maybe one or two others) have specially designed bumpers that will not override the crumple zones of other cars.

Mr Payne
05-14-2004, 04:13 AM
As an only car, the Cobra easily.

Mr Payne
05-14-2004, 04:14 AM
I just love how so many different cars use so many different ways to get you from point a to point b, fast! I mean there is the high reving 4-Cylinder S2000 , to the 10-Cylinder Viper, to the Supercharged 8-Cylinder E55 AMG, to the Inline-6 tech heavy M3, to 4-Cylinder AWD EVO. All these cars are different in the ways they go fast, but they all go FAST. Here is a crazy comparison between two cars, that have absolutely nothing in common except that they are fast (and pricing is kind of close). These two cars use different or almost opposite methods of being fast, which do you like? Which method is to your likings and get's the job done the best? First you have the light weight Lotus Elise, it's 190HP 4-Cylinder is combined with it's incredibly light weight to give this car go kart like reflexes. Then there is the american muscle supercharged Mustang Cobra. The complete opposite with it's 390HP and 390TQ that out muscles many opponents including the likes of the BMW M3 and Acura NSX. Who would you take, two competely different methods of going fast, but they both go fast. The Elise or Cobra?

2005 Lotus Elise (US Version)
1.8L 4-Cylinder
190HP@7800RPM
133TQ@6800RPM
1980Lbs
0-60- 4.8 Seconds
1/4 Mile- 13.4 Seconds
Handling- 1.00g

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
4.6L Supercharged 8-Cylinder
390HP@6000RPM
390TQ@3500RPM
3660Lbs
0-60- 4.8 Seconds
1/4 Mile- 13.1 Seconds
Handling- .88g

Where do you get your Cobra stats?

3000ways
05-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Where do you get your Cobra stats?

From what I've seen at the track and from what I have read. Believe me I know if you slap on some slicks on the Cobra it will run high 12s, but I'm going stock for stock right? So slicks should not be considered, the stock Cobras have traction problems with the stock tires. I've seen around 6 or 7 STOCK Cobras at the track (Also seen many modified ones), have yet to see one crack the 12s, this is just what I've seen. Although I did see one do a 13 flat with some non-stock tires (not slicks) and run a high 110MPH (high 12s trap speed).
Also Road and Track tested the Cobra at 13.3@108MPH, Motor Trend tested the Cobra at 13.0@110MPH, Car and Driver tested the Cobra at 12.9@111MPH, and Hot Rod Magazine 12.9@114MPH. So it's never exact, the 13.1 was rough average of what most Cobras should run, but we all know these numbers can flucuate from driver to driver, from car to car, from track to track, so to be safe, it's better to say that the Cobra with a good driver on a good track should be able to run anywhere in the high 12s to the very low 13s on stock street tires. The same goes for the Elise. The other stats such as handling and braking, are the average of different sources I found on the cars. The Elise, I had to use European models with similiar HP, since the US Elise has yet to be tested.

3000ways
05-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Since I am on the subject of 1/4 mile drag racing, please people take into account track conditions when ever you race or witness drag racing. I remember awhile ago getting into an argument with an EVO owner claiming EVOs can not get into the mid and low 13s, because his stock EVO with a 1.8 60FT ran a best time of 13.7. I told hime just because his ran so slow doesn't mean all EVOs run that slow and besides I have seen plenty of EVOs run mid to low 13s stock. He then proceeded to post his time slips and yeah, his EVO did run a best time of 13.7. Then I noticed something, his slip looked like.... yeah it was a slip from LACR which is very high in elevation, I thought everybody knew (guess not) that time slips at LACR are slower and a 1/4 mile time would be 3 to 4 tenths faster closer to sea level. The last time I went to LACR about a year ago, a stock Cobra ran a best I believe of 13.5, which is a 13.1 at Carlsbad or Fontana. Shoot when I had my Modified VR4 it only ran a best of 13.59@102MPH there, that's why I stopped going there.

Mr Payne
05-14-2004, 04:34 PM
From what I've seen at the track and from what I have read. Believe me I know if you slap on some slicks on the Cobra it will run high 12s, but I'm going stock for stock right? So slicks should not be considered, the stock Cobras have traction problems with the stock tires. I've seen around 6 or 7 STOCK Cobras at the track (Also seen many modified ones), have yet to see one crack the 12s, this is just what I've seen. Although I did see one do a 13 flat with some non-stock tires (not slicks) and run a high 110MPH (high 12s trap speed).
Also Road and Track tested the Cobra at 13.3@108MPH, Motor Trend tested the Cobra at 13.0@110MPH, Car and Driver tested the Cobra at 12.9@111MPH, and Hot Rod Magazine 12.9@114MPH. So it's never exact, the 13.1 was rough average of what most Cobras should run, but we all know these numbers can flucuate from driver to driver, from car to car, from track to track, so to be safe, it's better to say that the Cobra with a good driver on a good track should be able to run anywhere in the high 12s to the very low 13s on stock street tires. The same goes for the Elise. The other stats such as handling and braking, are the average of different sources I found on the cars. The Elise, I had to use European models with similiar HP, since the US Elise has yet to be tested.

You think the average Cobra will only be .3 seconds faster than the average Elise? Seems HIGHLY optimistic.

3000ways
05-14-2004, 04:44 PM
You think the average Cobra will only be .3 seconds faster than the average Elise? Seems HIGHLY optimistic.

Not to me, the power to weight of both cars are quite similiar (Elise weighs almost twice as less, but the Cobra has twice the power), although I do believe the Cobra will trap at higher speeds.

youngvr4
05-14-2004, 05:19 PM
no, stock without slicks a 03 cobra will and has plenty of times run high 12's all the time check car and driver. lots have run it at 12.7 most will get more like 13.0 or 12.9 depending on the driver

Moppie
05-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Why does every thread have to come down to a debate about drag racing?

Who really gives a fuck!
It has to be the most worthless measure of a cars performance ever used.

911S_TARGA_RSR
05-14-2004, 06:17 PM
I chose the Elise, of course. My question is why do people care? I mean we all know that the power to weight ratio is important, yet people still argue that heavier cars with more power are on the same level as light cars with enough power to make them out distence the heavy piece of shit.

Just my observation. This coming from someone who owns a light car with lots of power so I might be biased. :)

But no hard fellings either way.

3000ways
05-14-2004, 06:42 PM

Who really gives a fuck!

Hey were Americans, and it's something we love. We also love American football while the rest of the world loves soccer.

Mr Payne
05-14-2004, 11:02 PM

Who really gives a fuck!

Forward acceleration is an aspect of performance....deal with it?

Polygon
05-14-2004, 11:17 PM
No question, the Elise. I would never own a Mustang, but I would kill someone to get an Elise.

Jimster
05-14-2004, 11:57 PM

Who really gives a fuck!
Needless to mention insulting to ones intelegence.

You can find Drag Racing on Lotus' list of Prirorities though, it is found somewhere down near the bottom, just below fitting 4 15 Inch Subs into evey new car it sells.

Demon_Mustang
05-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Well obviously if the person's preferred car doesn't win in acceleration, then it's not important. That's the number one rule man! :)

Polygon
05-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Well obviously if the person's preferred car doesn't win in acceleration, then it's not important. That's the number one rule man! :)

Perhaps to you. There are those of us that prefer to go really fast around these things called corners. The Elise is brilliant at it and no Mustang can touch it. Straight line acceleration is simple, easy; a trained chimp could do it. Driving fast around corners requires a quite larger degree of skill and that is what makes it so enticing and a much better choice to people like Moppie, Jimster, and myself.

To each his own.

Joseph1082
05-15-2004, 11:22 AM
I agree that dragging/acclereration isn't the only statistic, but it is indeed the MOST important. When you are out in your car, and someone revs at you at a redlight, you don't tell him to meet you at a road course. How often to car owners race/autoX thier cars... having a sports car is mostly about burning everyone else on the road... even when we street race (I know it's illegeal) it's usually a quarter mile... the WRX, DSMs whatever don't ever challenge people to a road course, come on now, this is real life.

Polygon
05-15-2004, 11:59 AM
How often to car owners race/autoX thier cars...

You would be surprised. Straight line acceleration takes no skill with an auto and the ability to know when to shift with the manual. Driving in the turns requires much more of the driver and car. I would much rather have a nimble car that could better avoid an accident than a big lumbering car that turns about as well as the Titanic.

Neutrino
05-15-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree that dragging/acclereration isn't the only statistic, but it is indeed the MOST important. When you are out in your car, and someone revs at you at a redlight, you don't tell him to meet you at a road course. How often to car owners race/autoX thier cars... having a sports car is mostly about burning everyone else on the road... even when we street race (I know it's illegeal) it's usually a quarter mile... the WRX, DSMs whatever don't ever challenge people to a road course, come on now, this is real life.

Yes this is real life and please don't label all of us as stop light to stop light drag racers. To some of us autox and road courses are more important.

Kurtdg19
05-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Honestly whether sombody like's to go straight or run on coarses is really their personal preference and nobody's opinion will outweight anybody else's on that matter. If you don't like cars that go straight or vis versa, then I guess you just gotta deal with it. Cars from both extreme's are tunned very extensively to achieve the highest numbers possible. I find it quite humerous when people go off trying to explain why one is pointless and useless compared to the other. Both tracking and dragging are held in controlled environments and thats where your going to extract the maximum potential out of your car, not at some street light or windy road (considering its also illegal and highly dangerous not only to you but everyone around you). The Lotus and Cobra are completely different cars to begin with. Different cars = different backing.

3000ways
05-15-2004, 07:28 PM
I agree that maybe we do over emphasize acceleration on these forums, but to say it doesn't matter is ridiculous. I chose the Elise in this comparison because it offered the better combination of handling, braking, and acceleration, but acceleration had to have played a role in the decision, just as much as handling and braking and styling did. 16 people voted for the Elise, but if I were to have compared a Cobra to another light weight (great handling and great braking, but lacking the acceleration of the Elise) MazdaSpeed Miata, the 16 or more votes probably would have went to the Cobra.

Demon_Mustang
05-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Let me ask you. My city has streets that either go north and south, or east and west, every intersection is a 90 degree angle in which after you make the turn, you're going straight again.

So tell me, where am I going to even have a chance to show off my ability to perform around the twisties in a normal city with normal roads? Why should I buy a car that lacks where it matters in the majority of my driving, but excels in something I will do less than once a month?

So you tell me, you stop at a stop-light in your Elise, and some muscle head listening to heavy metal pulls up next to you in an old suped up Camaro, and starts revving his engine. Everyone's focus is now on you, and so is your friend in the car and his girlfriend next to him. The light turns green, you both open up your throttle, and he completely pwns you. So tell me, does it really matter that you're able to mutter under your breath that you know you would win if you were on a track somewhere in Europe? Does it matter to the guy that's now laughing at your fancy smancy exotic car or everyone else who's probably laughing too? Probably not. You would think that the people around you would simply think nothing of it and just say "hm, the Lotus is still a better car, that guy in the Camaro is a fool." When in fact they are thinking "man, this fool spent all that money on that fancy Ferrari/Lamborghini/[insert stereotypical exotic car name here] and still got his ass pwned by that cheap old Camaro, what a loser!"

Of course you don't buy your car based solely on what other people think, so we're all entitled to our opinions, you can say you like the Elise because it performs better on the track, and we can say we like the Mustang better because it could probably pwn you at the stoplight. We ARE entitled to our opinions right? Thought so.

This is a thread that asks what we would prefer, not which is the ultimate champion that can only be judged by some supreme god somewhere. So think about that before you come here criticizing us for picking the Mustang, we have our reasons, and you have yours, so take your sophistication and shove it. That's my 2 cents.

Polygon
05-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Of course you don't buy your car based solely on what other people think, so we're all entitled to our opinions, you can say you like the Elise because it performs better on the track, and we can say we like the Mustang better because it could probably pwn you at the stoplight. We ARE entitled to our opinions right? Thought so.

Yes, you are, but to say that straight line acceleration is the most important performance aspect of a car is absurd.

Jimster
05-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Let me ask you. My city has streets that either go north and south, or east and west, every intersection is a 90 degree angle in which after you make the turn, you're going straight again.

So tell me, where am I going to even have a chance to show off my ability to perform around the twisties in a normal city with normal roads? Why should I buy a car that lacks where it matters in the majority of my driving, but excels in something I will do less than once a month?

So you tell me, you stop at a stop-light in your Elise, and some muscle head listening to heavy metal pulls up next to you in an old suped up Camaro, and starts revving his engine. Everyone's focus is now on you, and so is your friend in the car and his girlfriend next to him. The light turns green, you both open up your throttle, and he completely pwns you. So tell me, does it really matter that you're able to mutter under your breath that you know you would win if you were on a track somewhere in Europe? Does it matter to the guy that's now laughing at your fancy smancy exotic car or everyone else who's probably laughing too? Probably not. You would think that the people around you would simply think nothing of it and just say "hm, the Lotus is still a better car, that guy in the Camaro is a fool." When in fact they are thinking "man, this fool spent all that money on that fancy Ferrari/Lamborghini/[insert stereotypical exotic car name here] and still got his ass pwned by that cheap old Camaro, what a loser!"

This is a thread that asks what we would prefer, not which is the ultimate champion that can only be judged by some supreme god somewhere. So think about that before you come here criticizing us for picking the Mustang, we have our reasons, and you have yours, so take your sophistication and shove it. That's my 2 cents.
Where I come from, most people on the street would be thinking both drivers are overcompensating for a lack of something down below.

The beauty part of the Lotus is that it'll get you from A to B with lots of fun and then you can increase the fun factor in the weekend when you take it for a blast around the local auto-course.

Joseph1082
05-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Demon Mustang hit the nail on the head as to what I was trying to get at... and for any of you that have ever street raced tell me where and when you guys did some Fast and Furious type racing... all the street racing around here is in a straight line.

Jimster
05-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Demon Mustang hit the nail on the head as to what I was trying to get at... and for any of you that have ever street raced tell me where and when you guys did some Fast and Furious type racing... all the street racing around here is in a straight line.
Fast and the Furious is a dirty word in this forum, go wash your mouth out.

btw I've raced some Porsche's and M3's down some rather widing roads before, way better than the traffic light Grand Prix.

Demon_Mustang
05-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Polygon, don't go crying now as if we were the ones bashing you for your opinions. I can't speak for everyone, but I know for sure I've said that it's what makes the difference FOR ME. I said it's more practical FOR ME. YOU Elise people were the ones coming here acting all high and mighty saying how straight line performance means nothing, and track performance is everything.

So before you go around accusing people of what's 'absurd' about our line of reasoning, look at your own comments first.

I'm not a religious man, but the bible does teach a good lesson, what was it, something like don't judge others unless you're ready to be judged? Not in those words I know.

Kurtdg19
05-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Polygon, don't go crying now as if we were the ones bashing you for your opinions. I can't speak for everyone, but I know for sure I've said that it's what makes the difference FOR ME. I said it's more practical FOR ME. YOU Elise people were the ones coming here acting all high and mighty saying how straight line performance means nothing, and track performance is everything.

So before you go around accusing people of what's 'absurd' about our line of reasoning, look at your own comments first.

I'm not a religious man, but the bible does teach a good lesson, what was it, something like don't judge others unless you're ready to be judged? Not in those words I know.

I don't think their Elise people, they simply prefer cars with more handling abilities. Most of the people are also simply wording their opinions on the matter. So when your comparing a Cobra to an Elise, there really isn't any match as far as the overall handling between the two. If you were to compare a pontiac GTP to a Cobra I'm sure they wouldn't have any objections in deciding which car will handle better. Oddly enough this comparo involves a Cobra vs an Elise :screwy:

crayzayjay
05-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Go on a track day, then you'll see what makes a sports car

911S_TARGA_RSR
05-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Hey Demon_Mustang,

Your 0.02 can't buy shit, so have a nice day. Oh and by the way have you ever rode is a Elise or any car for that matter that was not a beat up old camero? I don't think so, If you had you would understand that there is a small thing called class; people with out mullets have it. You might want to shave it off and then come talk to us.

Oh and thats just my 0.02 cents, man.

crayzayjay
05-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Let's keep it civil please, 'less you want the ban stick to come out.

Polygon
05-16-2004, 10:51 AM

:rolleyes:

I never said that straight line performance meant nothing. My point was that it is simply part of the equation of what makes a good performance car. What I was getting at is that some people in here are stating that acceleration is the single most important factor in performance and it's not. That really isn't my opinion, and even if you feel it is I don't give a crap if you don't agree with it. I am simply trying to get my point across. The Cobra is great in straight line acceleration and the Elise is great in the corners. You can always put a bigger engine in the Elise with a turbo-charger, but making a Mustang handle like a Lotus, now that would take a lot of work. At least a lot more that adding a turbo or doing an engine swap.

Demon_Mustang
05-16-2004, 10:54 PM
All I know polygon, is that I never said straight line performance meant everything. I made sure I said that it was what I personally preferred everytime I said it. Then all I see is all these people bashing anyone who preferred the Cobra to say that track performance is the only thing that mattered. Then I see people coming here saying that they don't like how WE'RE saying straight line performance is everything. The posts I have made sure didn't say that, and the posts that I've read through didn't say that, they merely countered that straight line performance does COUNT.

Perhaps someone did say it and I didn't read it all the way through, so if that's the case, and that's who you were referring to, then sorry for accusing, but my points still stand.

BTW 911, in case you haven't figured out from my name, avatar, and everything I have ever said, I don't drive a "Camero," and I don't think anyone else ever has, especially since it doesn't exist. Come on, you're a sophisticated sissy boy with a beret and dark framed glasses, you should at least know how to spell. Also, I'm not white, I don't have a mullet, and none of my friends to either. And sure I have no idea about art, I can't sit and have a "high class" discussion about James Joyce, but at least when I get a flat tire, I won't sit out there for an hour waiting for the tow truck to help me since I'm too worried about getting my $400 dress pants dirty and end up getting to the art convention late.

Also, no, I have not rode in an Elise, but I've ridden in a Ferrari and a few Aston Martins. I think that's a "tad" higher "class" than the Elise and your 911. But don't worry, I'm sure your 911 is still cool, even though my low class mullet friends have you pwned in their Aston Martins and Ferrari. :rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!