Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3000GT SL vs Subaru WRX

3kgt8
05-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Does a 3000gt have a chance? or will the Subaru WRX kill it.?

3KSL95
05-11-2004, 11:06 PM
not stock for stock the wrx is lighter and pushes 5 more hp. so if you come across one that wants to race save yourself the humiliation. the 0-60 times are 5.7 for the wrx and about 6.5-6.7 for a stock SL.

3KSL95
05-11-2004, 11:07 PM
quarter mile times are a bit closer though 14.9 for the sl with a good drive and 14.4-14.5 for the wrx

youngvr4
05-12-2004, 12:02 AM
with a exellent driver the sl can run 14.9 and with an exellent driver the wrx will run 13.9. so basically the sl looses

3KSL95
05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Exactly, well done youngvr4

Hotshot8792
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
ok, my turn to jump in here

if your saying stock for stock, from a stop the wrx will win, from a roll the SL will win, y? first of all, AWD drivetrain loss, sure the wrx makes 5 more to the crank, but loses more to the wheels then our cars, your looking at a 20% drivetrain loss vs like a 27% drivetrain loss. Next, you look at gearing, those cars are geared very short, so the SL will begin to walk the wrx very slowly, and after 100 mph, the SL will begin to just pull away. I've heard about too many races from a roll where the SL just walks away. The reason why the WRX gets such good 1/4 mile times is cause of the AWD launch and the short gears. Now if you modify it, especially a stage 3 WRX, the SL will get killed. A friend of mine has a stage 3 and it'll haul, you will need a TT to beat a stage 3.

youngvr4
05-12-2004, 01:05 PM
i disagree with that, i've drove in both and a sl does not have the speed of a wrx, hell you can screw up your launch and still beat an sl,

lets not pay too much attention to hp numbers between the 2, for one a wrx is to a sl as a sti is to a 1st gen vr4, same hp exept with the wrx and sl the wrx has more hp. i agree with top speed not bieng as high as the sl, aerodynamics and gearing show that alone, but even on a 50mph roll the wrx will take an sl atleast up to 125mph. like i said i've driven in both and really there is no comparison, exept high up in speed

3KSL95
05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
yup, i agree

Hotshot8792
05-13-2004, 01:29 PM
well, i've seen too many races where the SL just slowly walked it

the SL puts more power to the wheels then the wrx does, and from a roll, if stock, will get pulled slowly by an SL, any modifications to the wrx and yes, the wrx will pull. Maybe you have driven both, but what you are feeling are shorter gears, short gears make the car feel faster then it really is. With my friends stage 3 WRX, i've ridden in both mine (in the passenger seat with someone else driving) and his, and his car feels much quicker down low then mine does, yet, when i have raced him, i still pulled away from him quite quickly. Gearing will put a deception on you, that i promise.

3kgt8
05-13-2004, 10:20 PM
hey well you never know?

Hotshot8792
05-13-2004, 11:25 PM
hey well you never know?

i'd say, stock vs. stock, its a driver's race, that is, so as long as its not from a stop, with the advantage going to the SL past 60 mph

Zanark
05-13-2004, 11:34 PM
the WRX will hand the Sl its ass o_O. And everyone knows this so dont argue :D

Zanark
05-13-2004, 11:38 PM
lol and from a Roll the WRX would win. Idk how you can even say that the Sl would win hotshot. And how much drivetrain power loss does the WRX have any way? Anyone know the percentage from the Flywheel?

kman10587
05-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Hotshot, whether he realizes it or not, is biased towards the SL because he owns one. Unfortunately, there is little to no chance of the SL beating a newer, faster car like the WRX, whether it be from a stop or a roll.

Zanark
05-13-2004, 11:52 PM
lol yeah you speak the truth Kman

Igovert500
05-14-2004, 12:08 AM
I hate to say it...but (if equal drivers) I'd put my money on the wrx, it's got a turbo, and is quite faster than a SL.. you are talking about a second difference...and in the grand scheme of things...that is quite a bit

Hotshot8792
05-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Hotshot, whether he realizes it or not, is biased towards the SL because he owns one. Unfortunately, there is little to no chance of the SL beating a newer, faster car like the WRX, whether it be from a stop or a roll.

what does being biased towards the SL have anything for me saying that? I've walked my friends stage 3 WRX quite easily, only advantage he has is the launch, after that its all over.

Think i'm lying about the SL and base DOHC cars being able to take a WRX from a roll eh? I found you four, there were more but i didnt feel like continuing searching for them. Seems like even from a stop, the SL has a car by 105 :rolleyes:

oh, and if you think i'm lying, check these

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200247&highlight=wrx

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=196573&highlight=wrx

i mean, even the sohc gets a piece
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168768&highlight=wrx

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168966&highlight=wrx
(this guy didnt become tt until . . . . well, i still think he's waiting on his engine, but he was definitely n/a at the time)

youngvr4
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
thats rediculous to post. every car has its storys. a 300zxtt will tell you that they beat a vr4 and a vr4 will tel you that they beat a 300zxtt. this is not a good reason for anyone to believe.

why an rx-7 has said once "i beat a c5 vette stock" and vettes have said "i've beat a viper before" hell once on the freeway this rsx-s pulled up to me and i didn't downshift not thinking i had to to beat it and what do you know i was wrong the rsx-s one. you know what he's saying right now "i beat a 3000gtvr4 with exh"

can't rely on others storys(because everyone has one) better to go by actual numbers and then drive the 2 and feel. its like no comparison you can easily feel that the wrx is faster of the line and on straights.

but on the other hand i do agree with you on the top speed issue. but once again thats because the sl has a higher top speed. i raced a 300zxtt in my dads vette before and he took me up to 145mph before i could pass him simply because my top speed is higher, but from 70 to 140mph he was 2 car lengths ahead of me.

again you can tell by feel alone that the wrx is faster, even on the freeway(until a certain point)

Hotshot8792
05-14-2004, 10:31 PM
thats rediculous to post. every car has its storys. a 300zxtt will tell you that they beat a vr4 and a vr4 will tel you that they beat a 300zxtt. this is not a good reason for anyone to believe.

why an rx-7 has said once "i beat a c5 vette stock" and vettes have said "i've beat a viper before" hell once on the freeway this rsx-s pulled up to me and i didn't downshift not thinking i had to to beat it and what do you know i was wrong the rsx-s one. you know what he's saying right now "i beat a 3000gtvr4 with exh"

can't rely on others storys(because everyone has one) better to go by actual numbers and then drive the 2 and feel. its like no comparison you can easily feel that the wrx is faster of the line and on straights.

but on the other hand i do agree with you on the top speed issue. but once again thats because the sl has a higher top speed. i raced a 300zxtt in my dads vette before and he took me up to 145mph before i could pass him simply because my top speed is higher, but from 70 to 140mph he was 2 car lengths ahead of me.

again you can tell by feel alone that the wrx is faster, even on the freeway(until a certain point)

well, thats why i brought in four stories, not just 1 ;)

and i'm sorry, a car putting 150-160 whp to the ground is not gonna walk away from a car putting 170-180 whp to the ground, like i said, it feels faster because of shorter gears, and thats the only reason, hell, you have to spend so much time shifting that it kinda hurts a little unless you are an excellent driver

youngmanvr4
05-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Well geez...what can the SL beat? And yes...thats a question.

3000ways
05-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Well geez...what can the SL beat? And yes...thats a question.

Hey what's up with that, don't get me wrong I don't think the SL is the faststest of cars especially when compared to it's big brother the VR4, but it's not slow especially with the 5-Speed. It's a pretty nice sports car, handles pretty good, great brakes, and low 15s (possible high 14s 1/4 Miles isn't too slow). That's faster than a lot of cars out there stock for stock. With that I still have to say the WRX would be the faster car, even from a roll it5 would be closer but I'd still have to choose the WRX. I owned a base 5-Speed 3000GT before and I had the chance to drive a stock WRX, and the WRX felt faster, but not too much faster.

MR2Driver
05-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Stock for stock, the WRX is faster in the 1/4 mile, stop with the sugar coating...

youngmanvr4
05-15-2004, 10:26 AM
3000way...i have a 95 3000GT Base and i wanted to know what i could beat so that way i dont get my ass handed to me.

youngmanvr4
05-15-2004, 10:30 AM
BTW....I think 3kgt's are one of the best cars ever...VR-4 or base...they are all awesome. I'm a proud owner.

Hotshot8792
05-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Stock for stock, the WRX is faster in the 1/4 mile, stop with the sugar coating...

lol no shit sherlock, the WRX will rape the SL off the line, we are comparing it from a roll, we all know that the WRX is much quicker off the line

but, if you notice, both cars have similar trap speeds, so from a roll, it IS a driver's race

SabreKhan
05-16-2004, 01:32 AM
One of my best friends has a '95 SL GTO, and I love that car. Driving it feels like flying a fighter jet. All the gauges are aimed at the driver, and the passengers are just along for the ride. Not to mention it performs well. It's just a fun car to drive, period. That being said, I'll run a battery of tests later this month and I'll get back to you (when my thesis is written and I can get back to car stuff). I'll get John to get out on the interstate with me and test the theories. Whoever wins or loses, we'll both have a good time racing. The WRX is fun, the GTO is fun. We shall see who is faster from a roll, and from what start speed...

SabreKhan
05-16-2004, 01:37 AM
What does 0-60 and 1/4mi. look like with the VR4 vs. WRX? What about VR4 vs. STi? VR4 vs. STi seems like it would be a great battle, especially on a road course (as opposed to a drag race). Just curious...

youngmanvr4
05-16-2004, 02:00 AM
I was going to ask that question myself.

Hotshot8792
05-16-2004, 12:19 PM
the STi will beat the VR-4 in the 1/4 mile, not by a whole lot, the VR-4 has a slightly higher trap speed and will begin to walk away after 105 or so, as for road course, the STi will win because its geared for road coursing, its a rally car, the VR-4 is a grand touring car, but grant it, if you've ever seen the turbos on our cars, you will understand what is limiting our power

youngvr4
05-16-2004, 12:54 PM
yeah but with bpu pushing over 400hp isn't bad! is it hotshot8792

TatII
05-17-2004, 09:34 AM
i dunno man i just raced a stealth R/T last night on the highway, and i was toying with him. i was still faster then him when i'm flooring it in 5th at 80-105mph. ( but barely faster ) and when i raced for real ( 3rd gear at 70mph) i freaking beat him by many many many bus lenghts. i'm pretty sure a WRX can hang with me better then that on the highway..

Add your comment to this topic!