Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Astro will not start

cybercrews
05-11-2004, 04:12 PM
I have a 1997 Astro van . It turns over but will not start at all .
New: Plugs , Rotor & Cap , Coil , fuel filter , Fuel sending unit ( Pump) .
I am thinking of putting in a new Fuel Regulator . What is my best bet .
I Bought a new code reader for it , But computer comes back , Pass /no error codes .
thanks for your help .

Replaced Fuel regulator , Manual referred to vacuum hose connection to Fuel Regulator , but original regulator had no
vacuum hose attached . Is there a vacuum hose attached to Fuel regulator for 1997 Astro with CSFI injection system ?
Before and after Fuel Regulator was replaced , no significant fuel from return fuel line when line is disconnected . Just a few drops of fuel . Is this normal as well ?
Truck still not running , Out of ideas !
Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong .

thanks for your time

3800wattvan
06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Have you tried some throttle body cleaner? Spray a good amount into the body and see if it will fire. My girlfriends 96 blazer wouldn't start but did when we used the cleaner. When we traded out the pump it turned out to be a one way valve. Had to replace the whole pump to replace the valve. Hopefully that will give you one more clue.
My 97 astro fuel pump went bad Monday. Going to put in a new one tomorrow. Hope that does it.

BobM46128
06-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Are you getting fuel? And are you getting spark? Sometimes when we do a tuneup the pickup in the distrbutor accidently gets shorted. If this happens, you will get no spark and no fuel.
This is where I would start looking.

teresahornburg
06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Have you tried some throttle body cleaner? Spray a good amount into the body and see if it will fire. My girlfriends 96 blazer wouldn't start but did when we used the cleaner. When we traded out the pump it turned out to be a one way valve. Had to replace the whole pump to replace the valve. Hopefully that will give you one more clue.
My 97 astro fuel pump went bad Monday. Going to put in a new one tomorrow. Hope that does it.
I have a 96 Astro that has been alittle hesitant to start the past month and finally last night wont start. Husband was told it was probably the fuel pump. Since now adays the fuel pumps are in the gas tank how would you rate the diffuculty to do it yourself...how did yours go today?
I called and got quotes of anywhere from 400-800. But knowing to part is only about 80 it would be nice to save some $ and do it ourselves. Any helpful hints would be appreciated...Thanks

geodesygold
08-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Make sure the tanks near empty and put it on a lift or blocks as you will need close to 30 inches of clearance!!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!