Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shiny Paintjob

fwdfreak
01-16-2002, 11:56 AM
how to get shiny paintjob? mine isnt dull and it doesnt shine its in the middle but i want it shining, how?? :help:

Hawk312
01-16-2002, 05:31 PM
How are you finishing the models that they come out looking dull? Have you tried a polishing kit or compound? Do you wet sand the body or do you leave the body untouched with the last coat of paint? Either way you can get it to look shiny.
Here is a very undetailed description of what I do:
Sand the unpainted body with 1500 grit sandpaper and water to remove any imperfections or seams, as well as remove the "sheen" off the plastic so the paint or primer has something to stick too. If the body is white or matches the color of the paint you are going to use, sometimes you wont need to primer the body, especially if using hobby enamels. Spray **light** mist coats for the first couple coats of paint. You should be able to see through the paint atleast until the third or fourth coat. Heating the paint in warm (not hot) water will make it "thinner" and stick better. The last coats can be heavy as long as you avoid runs. I usually then spray on atleast 2 coats of high gloss clear. Let the body dry as long as possible. If the paint looks glossy and you are satisfied, go no further. If not, wet sand the body with 2000 grit or higher sandpaper to remove orange peel, then use a polishing kit, compound or scratch remover like "nicsand" (this stuff is great!) to polish it to a shine. I use meguires or ZAINO as a last step for polishing.

If you want me to be more specific, let me know. There is alot more to it then what I have posted here. All of the projects I have entered in a local competition have placed in the top tree, and half of them were first place finishes. I`m not saying that to brag. I am not the greatest model builder and not very creative, but the outside finish makes a world of difference, as far as the results of the finished product, and I am fairly sure it is one of the only reasons mine even placed. I placed a pic below of one of the models I entered in the competition. Have you read the thread "Painting model car bodies! Full instructions! "?
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/541623yellowvette.jpg

pkw1
01-16-2002, 05:34 PM
or you can go through all the "learn the hard way" posts, there are some good tips on there too :)

Add your comment to this topic!