Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Light

BeanLL
05-11-2004, 03:43 PM
I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, with 40,000 miles. The check engine light came on again for the 5th time since I purchased it new. Should I be worried? Why is this happening so frequently? Is there a way to stop this from happening, especially since the warranty is now up and it's expensive to keep taking it in? Thanks.

windywinters
05-15-2004, 01:21 PM
The check engine light is a way of telling you there is a trouble code stored in the computer's memory. You need to have the computerr scanned using an OBD II scan tool ( most auto parts stores can now do this, at least here in NY ) . This will tell you what parts to check first. It's usually emissions related ( ie, O2 sensor, etc... ). By the way, a loose gas cap will cause a fault code too.

lisad71
05-17-2004, 05:56 PM
I have a 2000 Wrangler and had this problem a couple of months ago. I called the dealership and spoke with a mechanic who suggested to 1) check the gas cap and if that didn't work, 2) wait a couple of days, disconnect the battery, then reconnect -which supposedly resets the OBD indicator. Well between checking the gas cap and waiting a couple of days to do the other I double parked and turned on my emergency flashers which didn't work when I first turned them on, but then when I tried again the flashers worked AND my check engine light went off. I have also had an issue with my right turn signal going on by itself - particularly when I hit the brakes. Spooky. I'm chalking all of this up to Daimler-Chrysler electrical issues. My dad has a Plymouth Voyager and has had similar problems with the Check Engine light.

Good luck!

Lisa

jgeorge
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I can go one step better,I have an 01 wrangler that I cannot diagnose the cause of a problem.Keep in mind when the temperature is cold it never occurs but when it is over 50 I can drive the wrangler for about 10 minutes and my dials go crazy the lights and warning bell goes off then all of my gauges go dead,no speedometer , fuel nothing if I let it sit for a couple of hours it works again for a short time.remember it never occurs when it is cold outside.I have tried a new cluster checked the 16 pin connector nothing has anyone experianced this problem I have the 4.0 amd manual thanks

Add your comment to this topic!