does any company sell plexi glass car windows?

wickedplastikman
05-11-2004, 04:33 PM
i am looking to lighten my crx even more. i already gutted it out, mostly. plus, they broke my window on my teg and i figure plexiglass will be more resilient to this type of thing. i know i can cut my own, but car windows are bubbled a little, so i was wondering if there is a company that makes pre-fitted windows.

crxlvr
05-11-2004, 07:58 PM
yea i believe FAL makes em for our car.

lilol89crx
05-11-2004, 08:19 PM
FAL sells a kit that replaces all our crx windows.

Cjz89civic
05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
plexi glass is illegal to run in a street car if it breaks it will cut thru you like a knife. Also they scratch so easy. Paper towels will scratch plexi

SiZ
05-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Yes, FAL make some but they're extremly expensive, and illeagle.

Lexan windows is really a nice way to save a bunch of weight, but they're not safe or legal. If the car is for the track though just cut your own, otherwise keep your DOT approved glass.

wickedplastikman
05-12-2004, 12:08 AM
thanks for clearing that up. i didnt think of the safety factor. the thought of a shard slicing me up has definitely changed my mind!!

SiZ
05-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Its the way they don't break, they would just get shoved out and at you. Regular side glass will shatter, but all stay in place. The front glass will just shatter into tiny peices and be everywhere, but a non threat to your health.

How much do you have taken off the car? Is the interior completley bare? Take off the rear sway bar?

wickedplastikman
05-12-2004, 02:17 AM
all the panels are out. the carpeting is too.

SiZ
05-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Get a lighter hood on there (CF or fiberglass).

Ace$nyper
05-12-2004, 03:54 PM
then hatch and fenders outta CF i saw a kit for the CRX hatch in CF other day now no luck with the link hmm

yea FAL windows are not good idea for street use

SiZ
05-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Does anyone know if the CF hatch for the CRX uses DOT approved glass?

Ace$nyper
05-13-2004, 12:13 AM
it can i'm pretty sure i think it came glass less if i member still no luck finding damn thing again!

b1tem3
05-13-2004, 05:29 AM
you can lighten yours by gutting all the interior plastic off, all the noise killer too, replace to CF hood, light weight rims, replace seat, remove stereo equipment, to replace fiber glass door, replace floor pan with aluminum sheet ..etc.
Its all depends all how much you want to spend for this.

for most drag car, glass are replaced with lexan.
for most off road race, glass is factory but required to install tint (to keep it in place when broken) ex windshield. other sides might be lexan too.

i suggest not to touch door beam for safety, and sway bar for performance.

and on safety issue, Lexan is very tough, heck my friend house windows made of lexan to keep storm away (flying debris and all crap).

http://www.emcoplastics.com/lexan.htm

FAL make lexan window for your car (I dont know how thick its)
I know its a lot of mulla..
http://www.nipponracing.com/lexan_windows.html

SiZ
05-13-2004, 11:40 AM
and on safety issue, Lexan is very tough, heck my friend house windows made of lexan to keep storm away (flying debris and all crap).

We've covered this.. The problem with Lexan is that its too tough!

lilol89crx
05-13-2004, 12:17 PM
well FAL has a kit which replaces our rear quarter windows. this kit is in the process of becoming street legal. you could always go that route for some weight savings. ill let yall know when it becomes street legal as they will be sending our shop some info on that as requested.

Add your comment to this topic!