Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sorry, but please help anyway

rollingsuicide
05-11-2004, 01:20 PM
ok i read the faq thread but i couldnt follow that well. I just 16 and got a 91 integra ls. Im planning on putting a turbo in when i save up enough money. but id also like to get a better engine. I heard a stock ls engine with a vtec head was good. but is just dropping a gsr better. im sure this was asked many times before but itd be cool if u could answer one more time.

IntegraB16
05-11-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm sure others will disagree, but I would just drop in a GSR and turbo it.

rollingsuicide
05-11-2004, 02:17 PM
i think im gonna go with the ls/vtec. my dads a mechanic so i know he wont half ass the job or anything. theres 133000 miles on the car so when the ls/vtec is shot ill either put a gsr in or just get a new car

kicker1_solo
05-11-2004, 02:57 PM
i think im gonna go with the ls/vtec.
it's funny how you ask for our opinion when you've already made up your mind. Good luck :)

kpsycho
05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
i think ls/vtec turbo is good but if i were you i would spend the money that would be spent on ls/vtec to build the block for boost then boost the hell out of it. much better that way imho.

00tegra
05-11-2004, 10:27 PM
you would have to wrok the engine up to it if you wanted to go turbo and run anything over 6 psi. your best bet is to get a stock turbo engine and put that in.

shaunthebadass
05-12-2004, 09:36 AM
i would just go with the ls/vtec and turbo it because it already has the 9.2:1 compression ratio that would would desire running forced induction. if you were to turbo the gsr you would have to drop the compression fro its 10.1:1 to around the same as the ls already has, hence you save money there by going with the ls/vtec and you can easily pick up and ls block and vtec head for less than a gsr motor. also the ls/vtec setup is faster than the gsr. hope this helps

IntegraB16
05-12-2004, 11:01 AM
I think a lot of people forget some stuff about GSR blocks compared to the LS block. True you would have to lower the compression ratio, but the GSR has oil squirters that spray the piston to keep it lubed good, the GSR also has higher tolerences and can handle more boost, as well as being able to revv higher than the LS without having to upgrade the rods.

scallywag
05-12-2004, 01:32 PM
I think a lot of people forget some stuff about GSR blocks compared to the LS block. True you would have to lower the compression ratio, but the GSR has oil squirters that spray the piston to keep it lubed good, the GSR also has higher tolerences and can handle more boost, as well as being able to revv higher than the LS without having to upgrade the rods.

If I am not mistaken when you do an ls/vtec, you get oil squirters as well, isn't that why you have to tap the oil? I may be wrong. Also GSR CANNOT handle more boost than an ls block. I don't know where you got that info, but it is incorrect. A GSR block can only handle 8psi well tuned, and has been know to be able to run up to 10psi with a mad good tune. the ls block can handle 12 psi with a good tune, and highter with a really good tune. Personally i wouldn't recomend going higher than 8psi on the gsr, and 12 on the ls, both well tuned. The gsr block cannot handle as much due to it's high compression pistons. Also the ls tranny is really turbo friendly as well. Either way you are going to have a fun car. If you are on a budget, then I say go ls/vtec turbo, you will get the most bang for your buck. But if you got the cash, then go vtec turbo.

IntegraB16
05-12-2004, 06:27 PM
ok, As fas as the oil squirters.. you could be right.. But what I meant with the GSR handling boost. I mean with lower compression pistions. Not stock. There is no way it could handle more on stock pistons.

shaunthebadass
05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
ok my man integrab16, go boost both motors to 10psi and see which one blows first, obviously the one with the lower compression ratio

95TegSE
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
No, when you tap the head for oil, it's adding the necessary oil pressure to open the vtec solenoid. On VTEC engines the oil is routed through the block through a hole in the bottom of the head, hence the fact that you have to plug that hole when doing LS/VTEC.

scallywag
05-13-2004, 01:35 AM
ok my man integrab16, go boost both motors to 10psi and see which one blows first, obviously the one with the lower compression ratio

You got that backwards! The motor with high compression pistions will blow first.

(QUOTE) I mean with lower compression pistions. Not stock. There is no way it could handle more on stock pistons.(QUOTE)

That is not really a fair statment. That is like saying hey my gsr motor can handle more boost than your ls, just let me go build the bottom a bit. Of course if the bottom of the gsr is built it will handle more than the stock ls bottom. Every thing set aside, I think the LS is a stronger block non the less. I could be wrong, but I believe I have read that. It would be nice if someone could clear that up.

Oh an I was mistaken about the oil squirters, as has been pointed out above. :biggrin:

rollingsuicide
05-13-2004, 08:38 AM
yeah i def. wanna go ls/vtec but i read stuff about the r/m ratio suckin in ls/vtec and it shouldnt be reved high. is that something to worry about? and also if i do do this there will be a 133k miles on the block. if i put new parts in the will it be more unlikley to blow/drive better/lastlonger?

scallywag
05-13-2004, 10:45 AM
If you got the cash, I would suggest new rods, and pistons. 133k isnt really alot on a honda motor, but if you want to drive it hard, I would do that, becides then if you go turbo, you will already have a sumwhat built bottom, so you could boost highter. Look into eagle, and crower. If you do go turbo, look into getting forged low compression pistons. and go with forged rods as well. then when putting the head back on get a good aftermarket head gasket. All those things will make help you run higher psi. Good luck.

shaunthebadass
05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
:iagree:

AcuraSamauri
05-19-2004, 10:54 AM
So what did you end up doing to your car? I've acctually got a 91 acura integra LS special addition. I just took my head off and getting ready for a head or eng. swap. lets get together and talk about this. alkalinetrudy@yahoo.com .

Add your comment to this topic!