Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS and Loud Noise

aubol
05-10-2004, 02:45 AM
I noticed, while driving to work, that my ABS light came on. After work my car would not start so I had it jumped. I immediately heard a weird sound and it coninued all the way home. I turned off the ignition and took out the keys but the loud rumbling sound continued (even with the engine off). It sounded liek something was working extremely hard under the driver and passenger seats. I took out the ABS fuse and it stopped. Can anyone explain what's going on with my truck?

Vroom2
05-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Good luck on this one - I wish I had an answer. At least you know what drained your battery. I'd take this one to a pro...quickly.

Take care,
Jerry

mayfly
05-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Its a part on the abs, a solenoid or something, that has gone bad. I had this happen to me. luckyly had extended warranty was a $900 job.

GMMerlin
05-12-2004, 08:18 AM
I noticed, while driving to work, that my ABS light came on. After work my car would not start so I had it jumped. I immediately heard a weird sound and it coninued all the way home. I turned off the ignition and took out the keys but the loud rumbling sound continued (even with the engine off). It sounded liek something was working extremely hard under the driver and passenger seats. I took out the ABS fuse and it stopped. Can anyone explain what's going on with my truck?
An internal fault with the ABS control modue has cause the pump to run constantly.
If your truck is less than 3 years old or 36000 miles the repair is covered under your GM warranty
If not, contact Galvin Curtis at circuit colutions (www.circuitsolutions.com) he can set you up for $100

GMCTech
05-12-2004, 06:13 PM
You will need an EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). It has failed internally, and can only be fixed by replacement or rebuilding.
I have seen a couple companies that rebuild them (some on eBay)

In the meantime you can pull the ABS fuse so that you don't run down your battery, your ABS light will come on, but it is better than killing your battery.

Hope this helps.

aubol
05-20-2004, 06:30 PM
I ended up taking my truck to my regular mechanic and it was the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) which did cost me $800 for the parts and $150 for labor. I did take the fuse out so my battery did not die again.

I tried to link to the circuitsolutions link (from the post above) however it was the wrong company website.

Thanks for all of your help. I will use this service in the future as well.

Brian

bcopeland
05-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Sorry to hear that. Gavin at Circuit Solutions would have saved you a ton of money! I had that exact problem. The whirring sound never stopped. I heard it in my bedroom! Took the ABS unit off and sent it to his address (http://www.circuitsolutions.info/) and "wallah"!

:2cents:

bcopeland
05-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Oh - by the way, it cost me $110 (including shipping!). I love to save money! (Gavin - you should pay me - but you did save me some money - love you, baby!).

Add your comment to this topic!