Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 SSEI: Starter won't turn, no panel lights!

getgopi
05-09-2004, 07:40 AM
I replaced the battery end of 2002 and I have never had a problem starting and running this vehicle (since I bought it in 1998; it is a program car). This morning when I turned the ignition, the instrument panel lights came on as usual but the engine did not start. I heard a hum from the engine area. I did not hear the engine turn or the starter motor. After a few tries, only the "Check Engine" light came on and now...no lights come on at all. When I turn the ignition now...nothing happens. After I remove the key, I hear a light hiss or sigh :dunno: I did notice that in the last 3 weeks, the engine seemed to start rather weakly but ran great. I have taken the car out only 3 times during that period. I wonder if the battery is gone. I parked the car last night at a friend's house (which is where it is now) on a sloped street. I have always parked the car on a flat gradient before (my garage and office, for instance). The fuel level is pretty low. I think I have about 2 gallons left but the fuel gauge indicates my tank is 3/4 full (the fuel gauge indicator moved during my first few tries to start the engine). I haven't had any problems with this car before. It has 60,000 miles on it. Thanks for any hints as to what the problem might be!! :)

Update:
Ok. I went back out to the car after waiting an hour and now the instrument panel lights come back on. I hear the warning beep to put the seat belts on and the starter motor turns rather weakly...but the engine doesn't start.

GMMerlin
05-09-2004, 07:55 AM
I replaced the battery end of 2002 and I have never had a problem starting and running this vehicle (since I bought it in 1998; it is a program car). This morning when I turned the ignition, the instrument panel lights came on as usual but the engine did not start. I heard a hum from the engine area. I did not hear the engine turn or the starter motor. After a few tries, only the "Check Engine" light came on and now...no lights come on at all. When I turn the ignition now...nothing happens. After I remove the key, I hear a light hiss or sigh :dunno: I did notice that in the last 3 weeks, the engine seemed to start rather weakly but ran great. I have taken the car out only 3 times during that period. I wonder if the battery is gone. I parked the car last night at a friend's house (which is where it is now) on a sloped street. I have always parked the car on a flat gradient before (my garage and office, for instance). The fuel level is pretty low. I think I have about 2 gallons left but the fuel gauge indicates my tank is 3/4 full (the fuel gauge indicator moved during my first few tries to start the engine). I haven't had any problems with this car before. It has 60,000 miles on it. Thanks for any hints as to what the problem might be!! :)

Update:

Ok. I went back out to the car after waiting an hour and now the instrument panel lights come back on. I hear the warning beep to put the seat belts on and the starter motor turns rather weakly...but the engine doesn't start.
Check the battery cables for being loose or corroded..this will cause intermittant no electrical power and slow starting

getgopi
05-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Battery cables are tight and there is no corrosion. The car actually started up this morning (rather weakly). I left the street, parked her on the driveway and, of course, now I cannot start her again. I am not even sure if it is the starter motor I hear. Its kind of a metallic "trrrr trrrr trrrr" sound when I engage the ignition. The starter sounds different on my Nissan Maxima.

michelq
05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
sound like loose battary cables make sure cables are tight on the eng too

getgopi
05-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Battery cables are tight on the engine side as well. I did notice that the headlights (and interior lights) are dimmer now. A week ago, they were pretty bright. I wonder if the charging system needs to be tested. Is there a simple test I can perform to check battery charge?

getgopi
05-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Battery needed to be charged :rolleyes: Car starts true everytime now.

Add your comment to this topic!