Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help!!! 87 Jetta Starting Problems

gearshiftVW
05-09-2004, 04:21 AM
I have an 87 jetta that wont start, replaced both fuel pumps, new pump housing, it will start sometimes then just fall on its face and die, and when it runs, you can give it gas or else it dies faster, its like it starving for fuel, but i dont see how. I checked all my lines for kinks and wrong connections but nothing, everything is hooked up right, and you can hear both kicking on when you turn the key forward along with the little solenoid located on the fuel distributor. sometimes it will run for like 15 seconds, sometimes 5, then sometimes nothing at all, just it trying to start. Everyone ive talked to is clueless, and you guys are my last resort, so any information is really helpfull, and greatly appeciated. :banghead:

gearshiftVW
05-09-2004, 04:23 AM
get a new car

boschmann
05-10-2004, 04:01 PM
CIS system are very difficult to diagnose & require alot of special tools. It would probably be best to take it to someone knowledgable in these systems.

JettaFan
05-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Check your local area to see if anyone around specializes in VWs. There's a shop in the town where I live that only works on VWs, and they are awesome. I had a job done recently that would have cost around $500 anywhere else ($600 if I went to the dealership), and it only cost me $300.

riceaterSLC
05-12-2004, 02:36 AM
you said you checked both fuel pumps, but did you change the filter as well? could aslo be a clogged cat...

jepenseplus
09-14-2004, 08:42 PM
CIS systems are sensitive to vacuum leaks. Make sure the intake boots are not torn and are sealing properly. The boot at the throttle body can have hidden tears on the bottom that open when the engine vibrates, causing fuel starvation. Make sure the injectors are clean and the seals are working. The throttle body gasket may be hard and leaking. If it starts at all it is probably not a problem with the fuel pump.

Add your comment to this topic!