Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to check Catalytic Converter

creslevi
05-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Can anyone tell me how to check a Catalytic converter ? I have a 94 Lesabre with 209,000 miles and all original exhaust, now and then it smells hot and like oil burning or like Rotten eggs ?.
Check engine light has never come on yet, also is it advisable to check the coils 1 at a time (30.00 each)I can't afford to just throw parts at it so I would like to pinpoint the problem, Thanks for any and all Replies.
Rick

public
05-09-2004, 03:36 PM
There is a device that screws in the exaust pipe where the O2 sensor goes. You remove the O2 sensor, attach the gague, and drive until warm while monitoring the reading(it has a long hose so you can close the hood and lay the gague under the wiper). Sorry I have no idea what the exaust pressure should be. Perhaps a Haynes or Chiltons manual would have the info. Good Luck.

buickmastermind
10-10-2004, 10:18 PM
The coils are easy to check and see if they are working. If they are bad, buy the $45 ones (hint). To check those, just pull the wire off the post. (one at a time) look for weak/uneven sparking, or no sparking at all. They should be violent, blue, and have a rapid, even pace. If they are bad, they need to be fixed. If the gas mileage is where it should be, I would just remove the catylitic converter, and put a 18" pipe in its place...not recommended by the "GM Certified" type...

Add your comment to this topic!