Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Parking Brake Set

Assailant
05-07-2004, 04:30 PM
I have a 1995 Olds Aurora. Been having a problem with the parking brake saying it’s on even when its not. Has anyone else had this problem? I have no choice but to drive it like this. It’s annoying cause it constantly beeps and on the display it always says Parking Brake Set, I can’t see other messages or use any of the other features. I was told it needed a new module of some sort, but I have no idea where to get one or how much it would cost. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks
Ernie

youngc
05-08-2004, 12:14 PM
I also have the same problem with my parking brake. It also displays the park brake set warning on my DIC. My chime stopped working after a while. Possibly burned itself out? I'm trying to avoid taking it to an electrician $$$. Please keep me updated with your progress. Thanks

dmorlow
05-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Are you sure that your parking brake might just be on a little bit. Enough to put the light on but not enough to feel the drag. Mine got stuck on a few days ago. I had to go under the car and bang it off. There is a little lever on the brake that gets stuck on. But yours actually says it on the information panel in the center of the car, or is it the light on the dash? I never seen the information on the center info display when I had mine on.

Assailant
05-13-2004, 02:45 PM
The parking brake is not on when it says it is. It shows on the light and on the information panel. Sometimes it will just show the light and not on the information panel. Sometimes while driving it they both go out without me doing anything.

ugsrich
05-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Is your parking brake pedal retracting completely when you disengage it? Have you tried pulling the pedal forward to make sure that it has completely returned to it's full retracted (disengaged) position?

Just a non-technical thought you might want to try before a more exhaustive evaluation.

Assailant
05-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Yeah I’ve tried that, it doesn’t help. I had my car in the shop because it was leaking coolant really bad. They called me and asked me about the parking break because it was driving them crazy with the constant beeping. I told them the story; they checked it out and said it was a module of some sort and that it was an expensive part. I didn’t bother asking how much or what module. Maybe I should have. LOL Anyway, they went into the dash and disconnected the speaker. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or replaced that part. I was hoping maybe I could find one at a junk yard or something to replace it.

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!