Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine swap possibilities

klohiq
05-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Alright, there's an '87 RX7 near me for $400. The engine is blown, but the rest looks like it's in decent shape. My question is whether a rebuild would be better than a completely different engine. My most obvious choice for engine swaps would be a ka24de (240sx) with a mild turbo kit. I'm not sure what size engine the bay can handle since I've never owned one.

Any other ideas for engine swaps (2jzgte, 3sgte, rb25det, etc)...?

Your opinion on whether I should rebuild or swap.

Soyo
05-06-2004, 11:10 PM
if you swap anything make it a 13B-rew or a 13B TII... or you could rebuild the engine... it depends what you want to use it for

klohiq
05-07-2004, 01:27 PM
As much as I love the idea of a turbo...I don't think I would go that route with a rotary engine. Plus if I get a TII engine then I'd probly want to get an front mount rather than a top mount and a bunch of other shit...it would probly be a big project with quite a bit of money used.

A rebuild is usually over 2k right? Labor and parts...Pretty easy to do myself though right? Not many parts...Apex seals would have to put on by someone else I think since they have to be put on just right I'm pretty sure.

Any suggestions for seal brands or shops in the north east to help me out?

Soyo
05-07-2004, 04:06 PM
you can get a rebuild for 1.5-1.7k fairly easy as far as I know... its been awhile since I looked into it though... but if you street port it thats like 200-300 bucks so yea about 2 grand

Add your comment to this topic!