Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Buick LeSabre 3.8, where is EGR valve?

rextrano
05-06-2004, 07:26 PM
I have a 1992 Buick LeSabre with the 3.8 motor and it failed e-check miserably. HC 134, CO 1.8, and NO 1129. I want to test the EGR valve but the manual shows the 3.1 motor and I can't find any EGR valve anywhere. I checked the ACDelco website and they don't list it as a part. Is this a car that did not come with an EGR? I have trouble code 13 (oxygen sensor circuit), I have not checked that circuit yet. I have 9 days from today to get it fixed. The ones on e-bay do not match my car, and conventional ones are not to be seen. The wiring diagram and Vacuum diagram do not indicate an EGR... the EGR is the only thing I can think of that would cover all 3 items failing at once. I do have a lot of carbon buildup, with 130000 miles. Car passed e-check with flying colors 2 years and 12000 miles ago.

HELP!!!

Rextrano

tman
05-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Take the car and blow it out, this means, find a open road, with no cops, no traffic, and do a few 10-30mph(roughly, just so your rolling) wide open throttle runs to the redline. look at your exhaust pipe in your side view mirror. See all the crap coming out? do that a few times until it clears up, you'll get better performance when it's clean too.

This may not help you pass emissions, but it is fun!

rextrano
05-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Well yes, there is plenty of crap already coming out. The problem is for a such a significant increase in such a short time (with a full tuneup 12,000 highway miles ago) there has to be a failure somewhere. I just can't believe that I cannot find the EGR valve, and I have worked on 20 different models of cars over the past 15 years.

rextrano
05-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Well, the guy at the autostore could not find an EGR valve listed for my car. I replaced the o2 sensor, the old one had some whitish/pink crud on it, not sure why. Car seems to idle better, but it did that the last time I cleared the codes too.

Add your comment to this topic!