Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

(Enamel) paint and their lifetime

Renegade
05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
As here in Slovenia we have poor color distribution (only have enamels from Testors, Rewell and Humbroll) some of them are wery old (some of them more than 5 years :shakehead ) and still they are in the LHS.
For Enamel FLAT paints I know that after a while get glossy.
So what is the situation with old enamel colors? It can dries out and anything else? Poor coverage?
Thank you!

Ferrari TR
05-06-2004, 04:47 PM
I've got both Testors and Model Master paints that are ten or more years old and are just fine. I have had some colors change shade in storage though.
:p

Renegade
05-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Excactly! I remebered now - if you keep paint in the daylight or sun it would change the shade. So there's a possibility that old paint wouldn't be correct color.
I know for Revell (told by a friend) that if theirs paint in left in the sun for a year or so, it would brighten for 3 shades or more. He got green from blue :icon16: (or maybe it was a blue from green :screwy: )

supermod04
05-06-2004, 10:13 PM
i have some old paint about a year old and it just dried up and then u open it and it is like rubber and then it pulls out and it is the shape o the bottle. dont know why but it looks cool

fredo
05-07-2004, 09:07 AM
For Enamel FLAT paints I know that after a while get glossy.

Actually, it's glossy if you don't mix the solid part that drops in the bottom of the bottle. I have very old flat humbrol enamels and when I mix it thoroughly, the coulour is OK (flat and not glossy). But if I forgot to mix with a stick (just shake the bottle), then I have a glossy paint with very bad coverage.

Add your comment to this topic!